Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I said to myself, I wouldn't do it! I said I would leave it standard! FAIL!

After 7 hrs, I completed my first 'proper' mod on the ZX6R today. I still need to give her a clean and take some proper pics, but the weekend is over so that might not happen for a few days. So here it the run down on my FIRST (of many) mods.

Polished Rims...

Materials.

Paint stripper (nasty nasty stuff, ate through my first set of gloves)
Thinners
Steel wool (000 fine)
Wire brush
Masking Tape
Rubber gloves (must be pink - no photo of mine sorry)
Polish
Rags

Time: 7 hrs (some of that is time waiting for stripper to bubble)
Difficulty: low/med (bit of elbow grease needed)
Result: DAMN STYLING

My 'workshop', this time outside since I was using lots of nice smelling chemicals.

Taped up, technically not necessary as the centers are powder coated and the stripper wont do much to the rubber, but I didn't like the idea of stripper sitting on my rubber or centers for 20 mins. Also prevented damage from wool and steel brush.

Getting dirty :D Like the rust spot on my chain!? Never ridden in the rain, always cleaned after washing, covered up, and this spot of rust just appeared out of no where!

Half way done.

Quick wash.

One coat of polish. No buffing.

Love it, just love it. Sooooo pleased with how it looks.

My 'other' mod, Oggy Knobs.

Mods done:

Registration Tube Holder
Oggy Knobs (frame sliders)
3/4 Polished Rims

Thanks to Dad, for helping me on and off the stand, and my AMAZING girl for moral support, polishing, and general help! :D

Felix

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

G

·
Yeaaah !!!!! We finally sucked Felix into MA, now all he has to do is admit it. "Hi, I'm Felix and I'm a Modder". ;D

Your rims look sweet, nice job.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
that's is one sweet lookin ride! Polished rims are sick as hell! Mad props to you for doing it, and mad props to Crushed for doing it the first time on this board (Am I wrong?), and writing up the procedures and such. In my mind, it's one of the best aesthetic mods one can do to a bike...

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
Looks great Felix! Really stands out against the green!! Nice work.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Congrats on the buy and the mods. But Honestly man this is the WRONG forum to be posting zx6R mods in. Even if you are the moderator ;)

·
Registered
141 Posts
haha^^ i dont really think it matters cuz theres like 1-2 ppl who can delete it haha. but the rims look beautiful...especially with the green and the vinyls/decals. MORE MORE MORE! haha

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks heaps all! I cant tell you how pleased I am with the wheels, they are PERFECT, I umm and arred about what I was going to do, I personally think this was a fantastic choice :D

Red Dragon said:
Looks good Felix, makes the wheels look bigger. Maybe some green rim tape??
Yeah the rear looks heaps bigger :D Trying to stay away from rim tape, for one I just cant apply the damn stuff and two I think this is a lot cleaner look.

joeRWMN said:
How much was that rear seat cowl? Mine didn't come with one.

You think polished lip would look goofy with my zx6r? Remember, the 08 US model has green wheels and no graphics. I really want a black lip, but your job looks really good on black wheels...

Nice work man.
Not sure on the cost of the cowl, pretty sure it was under AU$200. I think it would look good with the green centre and polished 3/4! But hey, if it doesnt just repaint it :p

ztrack157 said:
Congrats on the buy and the mods. But Honestly man this is the WRONG forum to be posting zx6R mods in. Even if you are the moderator ;)
Haha, how to make friends and alienate people :p I guess I could remove my post and not fill you all in on the rest of the mods I'm planning... anyone think thats a good idea and agree with ztrack157?

Felix

G

·
Shiny, me might do mine.

What's the down side to doing this? Will you have to clean or polish the rims more often or will they rust if you don't (like chrome right)?

Or would it be better to paint or powder coat (a different color) them for less cleaning hassle?

·
Registered
277 Posts
MadMax said:
Shiny, me might do mine.

What's the down side to doing this? Will you have to clean or polish the rims more often or will they rust if you don't (like chrome right)?

Or would it be better to paint or powder coat (a different color) them for less cleaning hassle?
The rims are aluminum. They will oxidize faster, probably show more dirt and grime than the stock black powdercoat, but won't rust.

I thought you were going for an all black bike? Bling bling like this won't go with BLACK! Sheesh!

1 - 20 of 112 Posts