Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's going on ladies & gentleman?

Been a trying few days ever since I went down & I've been debating between getting the cowling painted, buying a new one, thinking about what I did wrong on the turn, counting my blessings for not getting seriously hurt, etc. Guess I'll call it therapy among colleagues, but I'get been feeling guilty about fixing my bike. Weird I know, but true. Granted I'm fortunate enough to have the means to get it repaired-I'm just hesitating because I've been a "poor" guy most of my life, and although I don't worship my bike or make a big deal out of it. It's the nicest thing I've ever bought for myself and I guess I've been programmed to help others so often that I feel guilty for spending a few bucks on myself. Guess my question is do any of my fellow riders ever second guess their purchase or a costly repair?

The human mind is a strange machine is about all I can say.

· Registered
1,438 Posts
All the time. I'm a family guy, and sometimes - often - the bike can seem like a selfish and expensive indulgence. BUT, you gotta live your life too. My wife is supportive of it, I was nearly 40 before I started riding so that we were in a possition to afford it, and I have owned and operated very modest and relatively inexpensive bikes. That much is a fair compromise.

Yes, there was a few grand involved in the purchases, and I have annual costs for maintenance, tires, and insurance. BUT, I get more life, fun and enjoyment squeezed out of that money than anything else.

I think you're on the right path Blunt.

· Registered
928 Posts
Being that I only have a wife and no kids, I don't ever feel guilty. I do hate spending money on need to do stuff rather than want to do stuff, but they are two different things.

I have been a person who has owned several nicer cars(newer and nice to me, not pricey bmw, benz types) so I am accustomed to having nice things and it is harder now that I have a house and just bought my wife a new vehicle, but we have come up with an "allowance" deal that I get to spend every month and since last Feb I haven't been able to use it due to other priorities which is just fine. It sucks some times, but that's ok...

· Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I appreciate the feedback guys.

BlackBoar-I come from very humble beginnings & don't have any kids myself, so I don't feel like I'm taking food from the table because my financial obligations are always taken care of first. Really thinking that it comes from being a selfless guy in general and always making sure other don't go without. Either way, I went ahead and ordered the part and put my bike back together yesterday because I'm going for a ride tomorrow before I put her on stands for the winter.

Navy-my girlfriend gets on me all the time about hesitating to buy myself nice things. She's been trying to get me out of my 96 Cutlass for almost 2yrs now. "Would you please get something else? You can keep this as a spare, but please get your tall a&& out of that damn car!" Hey, it's ugly, but it's paid off and only costs about $400 a year to maintain. Wow...my bike is worth more than my car-lol lmao!

· Registered
5,699 Posts
Hey Blunt, my bike is worth more than my car too. :D And it's not a selfish purchase, it's taking pride in your ownership and simply respecting the bike for what it is, keeping it as nice and well maintained as are within your means... Now, if you were modding the crap out of it, replacing perfectly working parts simply for looks and no functional gain which you could utilize, sure, I could see that as a selfish purchase, but the bike is becoming a part of you, and just like you would maintain yourself, you shouldn't feel bad about maintaining the bike. Remember, even though this is an aesthetic fix, it's still bringing the bike back to it's previous glory, making it maintenance/care, and not indulgence.... :p

· Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Spooph,

No mods here other than sportbars, fender eliminator & a slip-on. I've been heavily considering a Juicebox or something similar to improve the ride a little-but that's more want than necessity considering my riding style. Either way, I can't wait to get her all patched up for next season. I'm actually trying to figure out a way to remove the scratched stickers from the old part and place it on the new one as a friendly reminder. Dead on with the bike becoming part of me though.

· Registered
420 Posts
Blunt, you aren't alone..I think everyone feels like that sometimes. I felt guilty right after I bought my bike. I'm fresh out of school, and don't have a lot of money. But like BlackBoar said, that bike brings a lot of joy and stress relief to my life. So, its worth it. You gotta take care of yourself before you can care for or help anyone else. Chin up, fix the bike, get back on and live guilt free! :)

· Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks FHG2088,

Part is ordered and on the way. Crazy thing is, my bike was my graduation gift to myself. It appears that great minds think alike!

I wanted to give you guys a little update. I rode yesterday and went to the exact spot where I went down. Pulled up to a complete stop and ran my boots across the ground. When I say that intersection is like a sheet of ice, that's no exaggeration. At a stand still, with my feet planted my boots actually started to slide out from under me. The amount of oil and other "stuff" that has pooled in that area is unreal. I crawled forward about 6-10 more feet and more of the same. It's a wonder I've not eaten it before.

Needless to say, I went for a rider yesterday & I rode my bike like we were attached at the hip! Started her up, pulled out of the garage and rode until I HAD to come home-relatives (damnit :D). Good thing is, when I got back on the saddle, I felt right at home. Just wanted to let all of you ladies & gentleman know how much I appreciate all of the support. Feels like I'm part of a small family. If any of you happen to come near or through St. Louis, message me and we're riding.

· Registered
420 Posts
The day I decided I was going to ride a motorcycle was the day my dog died, she was the best thing in my life and that day needed to be something other than the day my best friend died. So I went and bought the book, read it in the parking lot of the test center then marched in and got my license. 2 weeks later I did my course and 2 months later I got my bike and I haven't looked back. Didn't think I could do it, let alone be good at it... but I seem to have done both! Spooph's signature is spot on, your therapist has 2 wheels!

I'm happy you're back to riding, some people just can't get back on and its such a shame. Hope things are going well for you!

PS: I see you snagged my signature, its a good one. ;)

· Registered
420 Posts
alright me being a college student, i invest money wisely, if you get your money worth out of it then its worth it, also i think fixing it up lets you appreciate it even more, i'm doing stuff to mine as we speak and it just makes me want to hold onto it longer.

· Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Czsummy-couldn't agree more. My bike only has 3k miles on it & I want to keep her looking great into her 30s or 40s before I even think about getting something else. I've got to fill her up, throw some fuel stabilizer in the tank & lock her away in the garage either next weekend or the following one wo she can get her beauty rest. Can't wait until next riding season.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.