Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have been browsing magazines and have noticed wrapped pipes ... What's the reason behind wrapping pipes?

:NefRider:

·
Premium Member
4,253 Posts
I cant remember exactly, but it has something to do with keeping the exhaust gases hotter in the pipes.
I'm sure someone will know about it better!

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
NefRider said:
So there is a function behind it and not just aesthetics

Yep Header wrap retains the exhaust gas heat IN the pipe, reducing the passing by air from dropping the temp until it exits the pipe. The reason for this is increased exhaust gas velocity.....heat moves towards cold due to it's higher pressure....example, in your bathroom, turn on a space heater and run the shower full hot, leave the room and close the door, come back in five minutes and open the door, you'll get blasted in the face with the heat build up as soon as you open the door.....
The reason for wanting this effect in your engine is INTAKE SCAVENGING. For a few degrees of crankshaft rotation at the end of the exhaust stroke and beginning of the intake stroke, both the intake and exhaust valve are slightly open, this is called valve overlap. Overlap uses the speed of the exhaust gas as a "vacuum" to help draw a fresh intake charge into the cylinder, the faster the exhaust gas speed, the more vacuum you have to stronger draw more of an intake charge into the cylinder. This results in an increase in both horsepower and torque.

And if it is applied to the pipe PROPERLY, it looks great!!!

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
An absolute worthless mod on a Ninja 250.

Originally Posted by kbryant (Owner, CEO of Area P Exhaust)

"There is no measurable difference in power by wrapping the headpipe assembly. Only on the highest horsepower applications can you see a slight difference from an internal and external coating treatment (ie: HPC, Embee, etc.). Otherwise the primary reason it's done, is for external cooling of surrounding components and/or area. We do not recommend wrapping the exhaust. It will void the warranty. The "wrap" does not allow it to cool and dry naturally. As you retain heat and moisture within thin gauge stainless steel, it will become brittle over time and potentially fail."
"....
Also, please note that we highly recommend that you do not use heat wrap tape on the system. These wraps retain both heat and moisture that will shorten the lifespan of the system by not allowing it to cool down and externally dry out properly. Stainless steel may become brittle over time with header wrap."

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Blue Ghost said:

"There is no measurable difference in power by wrapping the headpipe assembly. Only on the highest horsepower applications can you see a slight difference from an internal and external coating treatment (ie: HPC, Embee, etc.). Otherwise the primary reason it's done, is for external cooling of surrounding components and/or area. We do not recommend wrapping the exhaust. It will void the warranty. The "wrap" does not allow it to cool and dry naturally. As you retain heat and moisture within thin gauge stainless steel, it will become brittle over time and potentially fail."
"....Also, please note that we highly recommend that you do not use heat wrap tape on the system. These wraps retain both heat and moisture that will shorten the lifespan of the system by not allowing it to cool down and externally dry out properly. Stainless steel may become brittle over time with header wrap."
Interesting. Thanks for the info peeps!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just to add to that: wrapping reduces the radiant heat of the exhaust. For surrounding plastic, wires, hoses and possible exposure to you leg/foot. Ti doesn't oxidize like steal, because it is such a hard metal. That is the only exhaust I would wrap if you want it to last more than a few years. Especially in wet and humid areas.

·
1,465 Posts
Blue Ghost said:

"....Also, please note that we highly recommend that you do not use heat wrap tape on the system. These wraps retain both heat and moisture that will shorten the lifespan of the system by not allowing it to cool down and externally dry out properly. Stainless steel may become brittle over time with header wrap."
Agreed!!!. Heat is the main reason this is done on bikes

·
Registered
9,088 Posts
I'ma gunna hafta wrap my pipes.....
Some times I burn my fingers when i smoke a crack....
:whistling: :whistling: :whistling: :whistling: :whistling:
:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

·
1,465 Posts
earlthepearl said:
I'ma gunna hafta wrap my pipes.....
Some times I burn my fingers when i smoke a crack....
:whistling: :whistling: :whistling: :whistling: :whistling:
:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
Wtf are you talking bout willis??? You must be on crack for reals

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.