Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So its well into winter here but due to being busy and lazy I didn't properly put my bike away yet. I stopped riding it a couple months ago when there was snow/ ice on the ground for about five days in a row but then it all went away completely and it was fairly warm so I thought I would get a little more use out of it. But when I tried it wouldn't start. So my question is, what could have happened in those 5 days of cold? Battery seems fine, the lights work and it seems to turn over just fine. There is even a low rumbling sound that makes it seem like its about to fire up...but it doesnt.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Choke? I know it seems obvious... but. I was away for holidays for three weeks last Summer and when I got home it was about to rain. I got all rammy trying to get a quick ride in 'cause I had missed out for three weeks. Bike did all the things you've said but wouldn't start. The more I tried the more I started sweating and wondering why in the world it wouldn't start. I took a few runs at it, it started raining, my ride wasn't going to happen, and then it hit me. Choke, not open. I engaged the choke lever and varoom, ready to roll. That was my dumb mistake, so I put it out there in case you - or any one else can learn from it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No that's not it either lol I would be pissed if I didnt figure that out after all these months.

Another thing I have tried is starting it with the throttle open in case it is flooded but that doesn't seem to change anything it always just seems like it is juuust about to start

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
so you have tried this numerous times cossitt? Not just the once? Your plugs could be gummed up to the point they do't fire properly?

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
I'm not sure, maybe Spooph can help out on this one?

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
I think he may have got caught at the border!! He went to mexico didn't he??

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Right oh folks, I'm not back yet, just checking some email, here in 80F Mexico! It's a nice change, I'll tell ya that. I'll write it up when I get home in a few days. I also won't be checking through all the threads currently, and will catch up when when I'm home.

Thanks D for the PM, it makes it easy to know when/where one is needed.

LOL, thanks for the "mystical spooph", but is not necessary....

Cossitt, try twisting your idle screw in 1 full turn and try and start with full choke. Then another 1 full turn in, for a total of 2 turns, and start with full choke.... It sounds as if your bike isn't getting enough fuel, which if it's cold and it has been sitting for a while, you might just need to dump superfluous amounts of fuel into the carb to get it to start. If indeed it start with the richer throttle setting, let it warm up, and once it's warm again, reset the idle accordingly. It should be able to run without the choke, and the idle adjusted accordingly, once it's warm.

If it doesn't start with the richer idle setting, you can get some "starting fluid", basically pure ethanol, take the airfilter out and spray some into carbs. Just a little wiff, a few milliseconds of depression of the nozzle. Nothing massive. And try to start her right off the bat. If she does, you know the fuel is gummy and that's where your problem is. If not, I'll need some info and will have to deal with it once I'm back. Best of luck for now and let us know how it pans out, eh?

Thanks to all, be back soon. :p

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Alright I tried turning the idle screw as you said but that didnt seem to make any difference. I picked up a can of quick start today and sprayed a little bit in where the air filter goes, and it wouldnt start. On the can it said to spray a large amount, like several seconds worth or something, so then i gave it a bit of a bigger spray, and then a bit bigger, then i sprayed it for as long as it said annnnnd...it didnt start. I tried boosting it yesterday just for the hell of it but it didnt help.
:'(This whole situation is a bit unsettling for me. Thank you everyone who has offered help, its much apreciated.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Pictures would be sweat? No thanks on the sweat pictures... Gross. :eek:

Cossitt: If it doesn't start with starting fluid, you can rule out a lack of fuel issue. Now, on to the next requirements for ignition. Air and Spark would be the next step.

***WARNING:*** Attempt the following step only for a very SHORT period of time if it starts, and if it doesn't, don't continue to roll it over with no air filter! You may do PERMANENT damage to your engine (although it's quite unlikely..)

Pull your air filter and give it a good look. If it looks clogged/dirty as all get out, go ahead and bust out the ether and try to get it going without the filter. If it starts, this tells you it's your filter. If not, move on to spark plugs.

***WARNING:*** Attempt the previous step only for a very SHORT period of time if it starts, and if it doesn't, don't continue to roll it over with no air filter! You may do PERMANENT damage to your engine (although it's quite unlikely..)

Pull your plugs. If they smell of fuel/starting fluid, they're not even popping enough to burn that small amount of stuff... If they're wet and stink, you can try the following steps... I would just replace them though. If they're black or white, replace them (you're looking for a light-brown, that's ideal).

Pull the plugs and bust out a propane mini-torch or just a lighter. Ignite your fire-maker and direct the flame towards the end of the spark plug. Work it over the whole bottom end of the threaded portion and the center/side electrode. You want to burn off any fluids that may be there. I don't know if you work like I do, but I need to know WHY something is being done, or the process seems stupid and like it shouldn't work, so here is the explanation of why: The mindset behind burning off the fluid is that the fluid may actually allow the current to "jump" from the center electrode out to the threaded body long before it reaches the end of its path and has to jump to the side electrode. If this happens, obviously you have no spark at the end of your plug, and this won't allow the bike to fire.. Make sense?

I hope I got that right. I expect criticism Spooph, so go ahead and correct what I muffed up! :D

Hope that gets you going Cossitt, if not your next step is to check that the plugs are actually getting spark (which I can explain in another post if need be).

Stupid question: Are you sure you have your kill switch to the center position of "Run"? Always check the simple things first!

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
nice catch Travisty... Sweat is gross... :p My bad...

And I see nothing wrong with your description.... I usually don't burn the plugs... I'm too lazy for all that. I just spray them down with the ether/cleaner/gas, and wipe them off... If there's any carbon build-up (blackness), I brush it off with a wire brush.... But burning things is always fun. Just watch it carefully so you don't create a carbon layer on it (dirty flame, etc,etc)

Along the spark lines, while you have them out, gap 'em too.... I totally forgot the number, but a gapper is like 50c. A small little disc about the size of a quarter, with numbers on both sides and a very gradual little "ramp" cut along the side of it.

I bet it's the spark...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have been busy lately and finally really worked on it today and yesterday, and with success. I took the spark plugs out, and they looked just fine, aside from a bit of rust and some other gunk that i cleaned off. (Neither of this was on the part of the plug that is inside the engine.) It would seem as though the problem was solved by turning the pet cock to prime. Even after this my bike still didn't really want to start, but with a bit of persuasion, (throttle and choke), she came around after a few tries.

I would like to thank all that offered help! Much appreciated.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.