Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
This is a great question for those who are considering buying a Ninja 250R.

There are lots of considerations...

Your weight?
Passengers?
Types of riding?
Luggage?
Experience?
Budget?
Speed limits?

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
After four years I am not satisfied with the speed of my ninja 250. It just seems like it could be a little faster

How have you been Red?

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Ha!

In short, YES!

Will you WANT more power eventually. YES! But who doesn't... We all adapt. It's the tough ones who stick around the 250 and figure out how to make it go far beyond the public perception....

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts
Comes down to A LOT of factors!

In my opinion for fun in the canyons, getting to and from work and beating 98% of traffic on the road... 250R is great!

To maintain my interest on the drag strip, and my need to beat my previous times meant I needed to try a faster bike.

Up the mountains, in traffic... no benefits. I just loved the acceleration, even tho it put me into the losing licence zone before I was out of 1st.

Step backwards to the DR650 in regards to speed, and up the mountain and in traffic this thing is just as good.

Speed is relative, 98% of people who say they can/could ride the 250R or a similar bike to its capacity is speaking crap. Like I was saying to Coinslot yesterday, I was told by a Australian Superbike rider that on the 250R I was as quick OR quicker than $40k bikes!

My 2c

Felix

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
9 Posts
if you think a 250r is slow for some reason then better GRaB..a 600-1000CC Supersport Bike as your bike:facepalm:..
majority of people around 60% will choose a smaller CC bike for starter then eventually move on to a larger bike as soon as he/she gain more experience and skills.. that is... if money is not an issue.

Besides you dont wanna get hurt/ or get serious injuries or even die tryin to learn and get more skills using a bigger CC bikes.. although a 250cc is also capable of doing such damage
but only on a smaller scale, unless its your time. >:D

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts
Waaayyyy off topic guys. This is a Ninja FAQ, we all know this was/is a question that is relevant to people looking to buy a Ninja 250r... we all know it only has 30 odd hp, we all know there are bikes out there with more, 600's with 100hp... to me thats nothing either. I personally think a quick bike is 1000hp or more.

Try and keep it to opinions about YOUR experiences so we can help new people make a decision. You can learn to ride on a 1000cc super bike, it all comes down to who you are and your ability. I know if you exactly grab a handful of throttle on the 250 it's not going to tank slap you into next week.

Felix

·
Registered
260 Posts
I was told time and time again that I should not get a ninja 250, that after a month I'd be bored of it, that I was throwing my money away, and I should just get something bigger to start with.

I'm glad I ignored all of that "advice" and went with expert opinions from the things I found online, in magazines, from people who actually owned ninja 250's. I LOVE my lil ninja. Is it a Hayabusa? No, but I don't ever want to find myself in a situation where I would need to go 200 mph on a bike.

The more confidence I get from riding, the more I find that the Ninja has more to offer. One of my favorite quotes about the new ninja 250 is that its just enough rope not to hang yourself. In the twisties its a blast, and you can keep up with highway traffic just fine. I personally think that the 250 is plenty fast for me right now, and its so much fun to ride.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I was told time and time again that I should not get a ninja 250, that after a month I'd be bored of it, that I was throwing my money away, and I should just get something bigger to start with.

They were right, 6 months later I upgraded.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
I agree with you Insaniti

30 years of riding and I think I have enough experience to let it teach me new things. Love it! Unless you are doing a TON of freeway driving for long distances you will love it to. It takes alot more skill to take a smaller bike to the max ( and a lot more fun, than just roll the throttle on a bigger bike. Fun and technique over speed. Isn't that always the truth in most things in life. I want a 620 monster but just because it is a bitchen bike, not because I want to go faster.

another example. TR loves his 250 as much as his speed triple.

·
Registered
8 Posts
For me, I chose fit and fun over displacement. I recently chose a 400cc because feels good to me and is basically what I need to get to work and have fun on the weekends.No, it's not the same as a 600, but I am learning that that is ok too, because I am having loads of fun on this one.

For me, size (my size) and budget were big factors. Of course, all those other facrtors like experience, passagers, and types of riding will play a role in the final decison. But I think that would answer for each have to lie on the person asking the question. For instance, how often do you plan on taking passengers? Someone might not mind touring on a 250, depending on other factors again, like their own comfort thresholds.

Red, you asked specifically about speed, "will it be fast enough?" If your interest is in the speed of the bike, I'd focus on that aspect.

(ps. I haven't even had my 400r for even a whole week yet, so I reserve my right to change my opinion. *smirk*)

·
Registered
874 Posts
I didn't move up because of the speed, i'd say the main reason is the shifting. I didn't like shifting through all the gears when i was in town, my new bike i only need 2nd maybe 3rd at most in town.

I will admit the extra torque and speed is nice too, just right for me.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Honestly I was bored with straight line acceleration after 2 months. its still sooooo fun to do twisties.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've been riding for a lot of years, had CBR600's, scooters, a CBR125, and a BMW, and I just picked up a 400R. I would have gone for a 250R, but I do a lot of highway riding back and forth to work, and I do a couple of 2-3 day touring trips a year so the 400 would be a little better for that.

People are too hung up on horsepower. Do you really need 100+HP for street riding?

Plus 99% of riders couldn't push a 250-600cc bike to it's limit on a track. A 600 supersport in the wrong hands is downright deadly.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I have been riding for two years now, and I have had my Ninja for two years now. Am I bored of it? No. Do I still learn from it ALL THE TIME? Yes. People upgrade after six months sometimes- and that is fine. In that six months they learn a great deal, perhaps some things that will prevent them from crashing on a bigger bike.

I love modding my ninja, I love tweaking it here and there and tailoring it to me as a rider. Will I upgrade? Yes. Am I in a hurry? No.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts