Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see post like this several times after the rider gets into a wreck. " I wreck my 250 now I'm going to a larger bike" like saying.. Hey I am fine with minor scrashes.. But I will get a bigger bike to really hurt myself better yet killmyself... and most are inexperience. Its sad to hear a fallen member, yet great to see the support from everyone in this site. YOU GUYS ARE GREAT. There is a lot of great write up about riding,gearing,mods,etc.. What I am trying to say here guys is... learn to ride and have fun..

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Yea, it is kinda weird that most riders will wreck, crash or what ever, and then want a bigger bike. Personally, I love my 250 and always will, but I do like the Triumph Daytona and I really want one of those. It did kinda hit me that I want one once I laid my bike down, not sure why, but the fresh, new bike feeling kinda left once I crashed. So, once that new feeling left for my 250, I was already thinking of going bigger. BUT, not for a while. haha. I do believe that a bike is a bike and 55 mph is the same on a 250 or a busa. Both are dangerous and both will kill or injur you just the same. I hate it when people say you will be safer on a 250 rather than a 600 because it wont do as much damage, lame....lame. Respectf all bikes, respect the road and learn the skill of riding and have FUN!

Anyways, there is my two cents. HAHA

G

·
I'm using the 250 as a starter bike, to learn to ride and gain experience and so when I move up to a 600 I'll be less likely to lay this one down.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Hi-tech, I think the reason for the upgrade is because there is the opportunity... The 250 is either so banged up from the crash that insurance totals it, and therefor any bike is a possibility, and a 600 is just so appealing, or, like Stock said, the "new bike smell" is gone, and it's time for that smell to return.

Maybe a psychological defense mechanism against being afraid of the bike. "I will prove to myself I'll get back on the horse and beating it by riding a faster horse"?

I think a person's decision is theirs, and as I'm sure you'll agree with me, doesn't much affect the rest of us? Maybe?

·
Registered
379 Posts
I'm not really sure about the whole '250s are safer' argument. Are they basing this argument on the fact that 250s are slower than bigger, more powerful bikes? I tend to think the opposite is true. A 600 will have bigger tyres (better grip) and bigger brakes (better stopping power), not to mention more power for getting out of trouble in some circumstances. I know it all comes back to the skill level of the person who is riding them but taking the rider out of the equation I would say a Ninja 600 would be inherently safer than a Ninja 250.

Having said all that, I don't think anyone should upgrade to a 600 just because the opportunity presents itself. If you really want one, cool. But don't upgrade just because you 'might as well' or because others have said to you that you should, or you've got some spare cash laying around (lucky you!) and can't think of anything else to spend it on.

It may only be a 250, but it's still a motorbike. And all motorbikes are fun!

·
Registered
87 Posts
after i layed my ninja down, i like it better. call it my own personalization, but there is just something about zombie bikes that have scratched fairing.

plus, if i decided to try something with it, im not worried about messing up the paint, (if i paint it) or dropping it.

granted, one day i will move up

but the time is not near.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah it depends on the individual skills. yet some of those individuals are by far close to riding right. spooph I do see your point and stockwall..well everyone here actually.
its just sad to see a (not even a year old bike) gets replaced just like that.. heck if they have money to throw away send some to virts.. he has been wanting a bike for the longest. i am sure he wont mind.

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Just to sound in . I went from a 2006 vfr800 ABS to a 250 ninja.

I like riding bikes with tons of power . But when it comes to owning these hi-tech wonders of velocity . I just don't want to spend 10,000 dollars on another motorcycle.

First I bought a 7000 dollar 05 zzr 600 and spent two years paying it off with 1200 dollars a year insurance . Then when it was payed for I started to loose respect for it .Riding a little two hard.

So I upgraded to a 2006 VFR 800 ABS . Great bike but it cost 10,000 dollars and the insurance is over 1200 dollars a year.

If I toss that bike down the road I cant afford to pay to have it fixed . The insurance company will not give me enough to buy a new one . so I would be screwed. With the 250 it dose everything the vfr dose with more storage area. Except riding very long and very fast . Then the VFR wins till you hit the gas pump then the 250 wins again.

You have to take a realistic look at what you need from the vehicle . Figure what are you going to do with the bike in a year. Otherwise you may be buying another bike in a year or two.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts