Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this has already been asked tried searching for it and nothing came up. So I was at Wally World today letting my bike warm up after picking up some meds (sore throat). Noticed an older gentleman walking toward me and he stopped and complimented my bike, and he then asked me" Why do you ride?" So this was my answer: One word.. "Freedom"- Motorcyclist are the modern day cowboys. Being on a motorcycle is similar to jumping on the saddle of a horse and grabbing the reigns.. yelling "Yawhhh", leaning into the wind and feeling the exhilerating adrenaline rush of speed and scenery flashing by all around you and below you. Like cowboys, who might ride with a group of friends side by side with their horses, motorcyclist do the same. We can ride up next to each other, talk to each other at stop lights, laugh as we all try to be the first one to get to the speed limit from a red light, and point out wonders of nature as we role along the winding country roads. When you ride a motorcycle, unlike in a car, you don't really care where you are going most of the time.. you just ride. . In a car, you drive because you have a destination you are trying to get too.. Yeah.. going for a car ride can be fun.. but it does not compare to going for a motorcycle ride. The gentleman looked at me smiled and said "Damn good answer." He walked to the spot next to me threw his leg over his Harley started it up and as he pulled out he gave me a wave. Just wanted to share my story of why I ride. So what's yours?

· Registered
2,270 Posts
kmanlyst81 said:
Sorry if this has already been asked tried searching for it and nothing came up. So I was at Wally World today letting my bike warm up after picking up some meds (sore throat). Noticed an older gentleman walking toward me and he stopped and complimented my bike, and he then asked me" Why do you ride?" So this was my answer: One word.. "Freedom"- Motorcyclist are the modern day cowboys. Being on a motorcycle is similar to jumping on the saddle of a horse and grabbing the reigns.. yelling "Yawhhh", leaning into the wind and feeling the exhilerating adrenaline rush of speed and scenery flashing by all around you and below you. Like cowboys, who might ride with a group of friends side by side with their horses, motorcyclist do the same. We can ride up next to each other, talk to each other at stop lights, laugh as we all try to be the first one to get to the speed limit from a red light, and point out wonders of nature as we role along the winding country roads. When you ride a motorcycle, unlike in a car, you don't really care where you are going most of the time.. you just ride. . In a car, you drive because you have a destination you are trying to get too.. Yeah.. going for a car ride can be fun.. but it does not compare to going for a motorcycle ride. The gentleman looked at me smiled and said "Damn good answer." He walked to the spot next to me threw his leg over his Harley started it up and as he pulled out he gave me a wave. Just wanted to share my story of why I ride. So what's yours?
Adrenalin ,the buzz ,the ease of getting through traffic .....quickly lol most of all the speed !

· Premium Member
4,253 Posts
Well done kmanlyst81, great story and great answer!
I can only add that I agree 100% with Freedom, and relaxation!

· Registered
1,438 Posts
Sense of adventure. The opportunity to not just go have coffee, but to go have coffee in another city. To go see the lakeshore, tour through a famous site, meet interesting people. Riding often takes me out of my comfort zone, and therefore makes me grow as a person and gain great and unique experiences. My motorcycle is a story generating machine.

· Registered
420 Posts
Riding for me is such a personal thing, much like my music making. It gives me confidence, it relieves stress, satisfies my desire for adventure and new experiences. In a way it allows me to show the world and the people in it that I'm my own person, I am capable and intelligent. I am an adventurous female rider, I like to run with the boys, and I pride myself on being able to fix my own machine (to a point, but I'm learning). It's my independence. Riding also very much saved my life. I started riding in the middle of a very dark time. It gave me something to focus on. Riding requires so much of your mental energy that there was no room for all the awful stuff and while I was on the bike, I found my real un-sick self. It flipped the switch that made me realize there is so much to live for. To this day, while I am getting better, it is still an escape for me. You can't help but feel happy and excited when those painted lines are rushing beneath you. The feeling that I'm sure is the closest you can get to flying... the pretty colours of the trees and flowers. There's also the "zone". The one where you're so in tune with the machine beneath you, you feel the rhythm of the corners, your body reacts without thinking and at that moment nothing else in the world exists or matters. That's why I ride.

· Registered
61 Posts
BlackBoar said:
Sense of adventure. The opportunity to not just go have coffee, but to go have coffee in another city. To go see the lakeshore, tour through a famous site, meet interesting people. Riding often takes me out of my comfort zone, and therefore makes me grow as a person and gain great and unique experiences. My motorcycle is a story generating machine.
I couldn't have said it better myself.

· Registered
191 Posts
It's all about the Benjamins. I've saved over $5,000 in gas by riding. Why drive my truck at $.24 a mile when it's $.07 a mile on my m/c?

Being able to ride through bumper to bumper traffic is REALLY nice too! I can ride year round her in San Diego, so that helps.

I have grown to really enjoy the long distance riding. It makes the trip a real mission that I have to plan in order to complete. Iron Butt Rides are awesome!

Most importantly it is just a way of life for me. If I'm going from A to B I'll take the M/C. If it's the family we take the car.

· Registered
28 Posts
U can still capitalize on the sex appeal if you're married. Maybe the wife might find u a tad sexier when u walk up the garage in ur leather suit and full face. :D

Plus kmanlyst81, i doubt its as simple as riding up to the speed limit from a stop light. Its definitely more than that. Haha!

For me its as simple as coming home, parking right up next to my bike, seeing her there. Makes me wanna live another day to get on her and ride with the wind. With a car, its just get ur keys and lets hit the road. With my bike, its silent whispers, "hey babe, lookin fine.. Miss me? Coz i've missed you..". Then start er' up. Give the throttle a lil twist. Hear those cylinders working for u. And then a little more twist. And before u know it, the child in you comes out.

I'm 23 and i've always wanted a bike since my dad took me on a short ride down the neighbourhood on a neighbour's superbike. This was probably 10 odd years ago. Cant remember what bike it was but seeing those sport bikes scream down the freeway on those holiday roadtrips keeps me fascinated.

Now that i've got her, its a dream come true. Although i rately ride her coz i work long hours, and here in malaysia its always too hot to ride to work, i just keep her for the cool weather or short rides. Seeing her sitting there in the garage always makes my day. :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.