Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I'd start a thread to compare and perv on what gear people are using to capture their media...

For stills and video's I'm now using my Canon EOS 600D.

Lenses:

Cannon 50mm f/1.8
Tamron 90mm f/2.8 1:1 Macro
Canon 15-85mm

Other bits:

Lowepro Photo Sport 200 AW Camera Backpack
Manfrotto Monopod
30 year old Tripod
Gorilla Pod
Hoya ND400 filter for daytime long exposures
Shoot Intervalometer for time lapses

Wish list:

Speedlite 320EX
Flash diffuser
Ring Flash for macro
New tripod
Zoom lens
Extension Tubes for Macro lens

For knocking about and taking with me on rides I've got my tough as nails Panasonic DMC FT1, its water proof to 5m, dust proof and drop proof from 1.5m.

What is everyone else packing?

Felix

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Cool.

Compact carry camera: Canon Powershot A530 (5MP and 4x optical zoom)

Main pack along camera: Canon SX10IS (10MP and 20x Op Zoom)

I have a cheap-o 48 inch compact tripod I use fairly often and a very compact Gorilla-pod tripod that I can pack along for the bike. The main camera is a bit too heavy for the Gorilla-pod but the A530 works great with it.

Wish List: To learn how to really use the features and options on the SX10.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Currently I only have a the same Panasonic DMC FT1 you have Felix, and my G2x Android phone.

I was taught in Journalism school its not the camera and gear, but the photographer that matters, and that the gear simply makes it easier to acquire certain shots.... So, being that I"m poor, and can't afford any of those cool toys you mentioned, I thought I'd challenge myself to cell-phone cam pics only, especially for the blog.... It's gonna be a hoot! I would also love to get my hands on a negative scanner so I can play with my old Nikon F501 (N2020 in the US) film camera.... And to fix the old Ikoflex I have, to take some medium format film pics.... Ugh, so many projects, so little time.

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Compact cameras are getting amazing! I still love my DMC FT1, and that crappy old thing you had with us when we were riding took some FABULOUS photos... Even camera phones take great photos. Key with all cameras is light and composition. Phones die and struggle without sufficient light. Way I see it, when the conditions aren't perfect, cameras like mine can work around that fact, where as compacts and phones struggle more so.

You're 100% about the camera and the gear not maketh the man, I still don't know nearly enough to use any of it to even 20% of its capacity, but I think I'm getting better and picking what makes a good photo.

For those water shots I took 205 photos, 40 of which were worth revisiting, and about 12 were worth uploading. It's a numbers game sometimes :D

Felix

·
Registered
420 Posts
I'm involved with so many other forms of art that I kinda overlooked photography. But in the last few months its caught my attention. I took pictures for a friends track day and I kinda got lost in it... leading me to believe I should give it a try. I'll keep an eye on your stuff Felix, looks great.

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
All of my shots have been taken with a Panasonic Lumix DMC-LS80, 8.1 Mega Pixel, bought it duty free when we went to China in 2008, but I have been looking at the newer version, the DMC-FH25 which has a 28mm wide angle lens and 16.1 Mega Pixels!!!!

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
I really wish Nikon would come out with a 25MP fully manual camera that shoots only in RAW, is the size of a D40, and accepts all lenses - DX, full frame, micro 4/3's...

Thinking that the next toy might be a micro 4/3's - been wanting to play with one for a while now.

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
E.V.I.L Cameras!

That's what I was thinking of getting instead of the 600D.

Great size, great usability, changeable lenses... Sony have a sexy one and Panasonic keep getting good reviews. Only downsides are as they are new to the market, price and amount of lenses available.

Felix

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Goodies arrived this week :D :D

Set of Kenko Extension tubes
Intervalometer
Hoya ND400 filter
Speedlite 430EX ii

Some test shots and comparisons soon :D

Also need to build a light box and some diffusers :D

Felix

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.