Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I rarely see motorcycles in the rain, but when I do they're usually cruisers. With the huge cruiser population in Arizona sport bikes are generally few and far between anyways though. I tried it today on my ZX6r and it was great. No slipping or anything, though I didn't lean as aggressively as I would normally.

Does anybody here brave the rain on their sport bike?

·
Registered
727 Posts
Yup. Commuted home many times, through afternoon thunderstorms. Raindrops feel like hail stones, at 60 mph. :eek:

My advice to a fellow Arizonan... Avoid Hwy 69, through Dewey, during the monsoons. I've been caught a couple times on that stretch of road, with the rain pounding down. It's not pretty.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the heads up Kurt. I'm out in Gilbert so I don't think I'll have to worry too much about that.

I agree about the rain feeling like hail at 60 mph. After a few commutes last year my legs and the back of my neck were nice and red. Luckily I have a cage to protect me from that now.

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
Riding in the rain is very peaceful to me. Get yourself some good rain gear and water proof your luggage. Also keep in mind that the first 20 minutes or so during rain will bring all of the oil and gunk to the surface and could make the road very slick. I usually don't wait, I'm just more careful. Also, as Kurt said, depending on the size of the drops, it can be painful, but with proper attire you shouldn't feel it too much. Hail sucks... :)

But yes, the rain is a great time to ride!

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
With rain gear, don't forget your boots. I went a long day in the rain last Summer equipped with 2 things: a good rain suit and an overly optimistic opinion about the water repellent properties of my riding boots. Wet feet ruin the day, trust me.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Ride all the time in the rain, like previously said, good rain gear, and boots are essential. Take the corners easier and plan on using more distance when breaking, ie, increase your distance when following cars.

Rain-X your helmet visor too, then the water beads off nice and clean.

If I never rode in the rain, I would hardly ride at all. LOL

·
Registered
928 Posts
It all depends...Most of the time I'll ride in it and I don't have any rain gear. I wear my cammies to and from work most of the time so they will get soaked and then the rest of me except my upper torso.

I don't mind it unless the air is cold too...

·
Registered
674 Posts
Not by choice. My regular gear is pretty much waterproof, so it's not a big deal.

The added risk factors (especially on the street) make it stressful, but my first ever cycle road race back in the 80s was in the rain.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I agree; never intentionally but have been caught up in it A few times. Also had no choice a couple times but to leave the house when raining. I have gotten to the point where it really is no big deal and to be honest, like Spooph said, get some rain gear and it can be a wonderfully pleasing ride just so long you use extra caution and I try to stay away from the center of the lane. ;)

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Getting wet can be somewhat annoying. The worst being wet gloves!
For cheap (like $15) I bought a pair of heavy neoprene "paddling gloves" like you'd use with a kayak. Keep your hands dry and fairly warm and they have grippy pads on the palms (so your paddle won't slip) The only downside is little to no protection if you had a sudden get-off.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Id rather ride in the rain than put gas in my ram 2500. I just rode home from work tonight 18 miles down country roads. Foggy and rainy. I was prepared though. Waterproof workbooks (which I wear everyday anyway) waterproof coveralls and a nice Columbia jacket. I need to do something about my helmet visor though. I heard I can spray rain-x on it. If that works well id be fine. It sucks driving 70mph in the rain and fog when you can't see.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Never on purpose. Just means more washing/waxing and chain cleaning/lubing. Let alone the squishy feeling in my gloves and my boots.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.