Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
??? hello everyone! Last night there was a heavy rain and I didn't cover my bike. So the whole night it was under the rain. Then at the day time I hoped on the bike and went to a ride. Want to mention also that the bike has started up without any issues. Everything was all right. So I was going on the road and hell damn again I got under the rain. And that was quite heavy too. So I kept going and then I took a look on indicators and I see that red oil indicator came on! I was like what's going on? And then I'm realizing that engine just got cut off!! I pulled over and just started it up. It was ok. I kept going. After 5 minutes I was supposed to downshift gears because of the cars in the front and I took a look on the indicators so what I see is that engine cut off again !!! I was like!! Heyy!! Whats going on>??!! ??? :mad: I had to start it up again. It was ok. On the way back I didnt have any troubles. The bike performed as it should.
Sorry for such messy explanation but what do you think what caused that?! Again I want to mention that my bike got really wet last night because of this freaking rain!! :( :( And also that I rode under the rain either///

one more thing is that I didnt touch that red button that causes engine to cut off... It happened just like that and I dont have any ideas what is that... Please guys I need your comments :)

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Depending on how hard it rained, it is possible that the eletronics under the seat and handlebars could have been hampered by moisture, temporarly shorting them out. Also it is possible to suck in a little too much moisture thru the snorkel. The end of the snorkel sits in the compartment under the seat. Enough water running down in that compartment could possibly get sucked in quickly, but it has to be alot to completely shut the engine off. Pull both seats and check for moisture, dry all your components on the handlebars, check your fuses and most important...get a cover.

http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=&L2=&L3=&L4=&item=MYT_TSDLXMD_G
Medium /Sportbike size fits the Ninja perfect

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
When's the last time you drained your airbox? If you haven't:

1.) Remove the LEFT side black cover.
2.) Underneath the airbox, tucked way back almost in-line with the center "plane" of the bike is a little rubber nub(?) that is held on by a little metal "squeeze" clamp. Take the clamp off, and pull the little rubber "nub" off. Water should come gushing out of your airbox.

I WOULD PROVIDE YOU WITH A PICTURE, but it's seriously tucked away in there, and is almost impossible to photograph without taking much of the bike apart, which would mean you won't see the bike as it usually sits...
So, it's underneath the airbox, accessed from the left side, almost in-line with the center plane of the bike...

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Try inspecting the air cleaner housing this way.
When you look inside the air cleaner housing with a flashlight you will see a small drain hole at the bottom near the middle. if it is clogged with dirt or grit, water and condensation can not drain. While you have the element out clean it and the housing of any dirt.

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hey guys just took off that part and inspected. There is no water at all. This drain hole is not blocked. Its only oily inside but I suppose that's how it should be, right? And I got this issue with engine stopping about 4-5 times already. It happens in first few minutes while it is not completely warmed up. After several minutes of riding everything works ok/ I'll let you know if I will experiencing this again, all right? I got already cover so rain is not scary for my bike anymore :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hey one moment... I just noticed... spooph wrote to remove left side cover... blue ghost refers to right side... where is the truth? :) :) I have checked only from the right side... as it is attached in the file from blue ghost...?????

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
The drain hose and plug to the air cleaner housing is on the left side. That is what Spooh was talking about. So there is truth in both. Oil inside the housing is normal, it is just the oil from the air filter. Carbs can be very tempermental with weather changes. Just let it warm up good before taking off. Even though it may be warm outside, yoou may still have to use the choke for a short period. If you dont have time to wait. Learn how to manipulate the clutch and throttle a little better and do not be afraid of twisting the throttle a little more than normal. You can get your rpms up around 3k and slip ( ease out )the clutch and not be in any danger of being thrown or out of control. Just takes a little practice.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hey Fellows! I got this again at the morning :(Again engine just stopped running :mad:spooph could you explain me please what should I check from the left side!? I took that side cover off and just can't get access to anything in there!I can't even get in my palm inside as not so much space in there :C
Could anyone prompt what else I should check? It is definitely because of the moisture that got inside of something. Because I never had this before! Freaking rain :-\

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
If you will have a look at thr earlier post you will find two links to pictures of the left side of the air box. If you stick you fingers or hand in between the frame and the airbox you should see and feel a small hose. It is flexible enough to pull out.

http://www.newninja.com/questions-and-answers/what-that-dripping-out-under-the-bike/?action=dlattach;attach=2258;image;PHPSESSID=7ac5tuic64ql57uqa34cd534u6

http://www.newninja.com/questions-and-answers/what-that-dripping-out-under-the-bike/?action=dlattach;attach=2260;image;PHPSESSID=7ac5tuic64ql57uqa34cd534u6

If there is no evidence of water in the air box, your issue is a carb related one. Check to make sure your idle is correct (1300-1350 =/- 50 rpm)

Here is how to check and adjust the idle
Idle Speed Inspection
•Start the engine and warm it up thoroughly. •With the engine idling, turn the handlebar to both sides

If handlebar movement changes the idle speed, the throttle cables may be improperly adjusted or incorrectly
routed or damaged. Be sure to correct any of these conditions before riding

Operation with improperly adjusted, incorrectly routed or damaged cables could result in an unsafe riding condition.

Check idle speed.
If the idle speed is out of the specified range, adjust it.

Idle Speed
Standard: 1 300 ±50 r/min (rpm)

Idle Speed Adjustment
Start the engine and warm it up thoroughly.
Turn the adjusting screw until the idle speed is correct.

Open and close the throttle a few times to make sure that
the idle speed is within the specified range.
Readjust if necessary.

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
blue ghost :)thank you very much for your help. I appreciate that! But I suppose there is nothing about idle speed -My RPM is 1.3 when the engine is warmed up and when I turn handlebar nothing is happening.I suppose it's because of the water as it started after I left my bike under heavy rain.But thanks For help anyway :D ;)And thanks for pictures you have provided. It helps me a lot :)

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
If your idle is fine. I would check all your linkages & cables to to carb (choke, throttle) to make sure that they move freely and are not getting stuck and that they are adjusted correctly. ( a little cable lube or spray lube may be in order after being exposed to so much rain) From what you say, the bike runs fine once it is warm, so it sounds like a carb adjustment or cleaning may be your next step.

·
Registered
331 Posts
harry might be right.I have been wondering if cab Ninja does have a fall sensor.Still not sure.An FI does.On stand still if the bike leans over more then 75degree for more then 10 seconds the engine will cut off and will not start again when upright.To reset it just turn the key to off for a few seconds,turn the key back on and start the engine.
It happened on three occation(that I know of)that the FI light showed up and the engine cuts off while driving.All of the cases are fall sensor related.What the mechanic did was to unplug the sensor,spray the male and female plug with electric cleaning spray and put it back.Problem solved.Just another 'might be'.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
The carb version ninja does not have a Vehicle-down Sensor like the FI version. It will start and run leaning below a 75 degree angle. I have started mine off the stand at 50-45 degrees with no problem. below that I believe the float bowl will shut off fuel flow.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Blue Ghost said:
The carb version ninja does not have a Vehicle-down Sensor like the FI version. It will start and run leaning below a 75 degree angle. I have started mine off the stand at 50-45 degrees with no problem. below that I believe the float bowl will shut off fuel flow.
Thanks BG.Always appreciate good infos.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.