Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, can anyone help me with a site to buy these HID headlights I hear about and see. They look really nice and I would love to have them. Am I even saying it right "H.I.D. headlights". I was wondering what I should pay for something like this and if there is a specific model number for a 2009 ninja. Any insight is much appreciated....thanks in advance. I have googled it and also have turned up nothing on E-Bay......please help.

·
Registered
277 Posts
H7 bulbs are what you need if I remember correctly. Get on eBay, you should pay somewhere around 90-110 bucks for a pair of bulbs. If you wanted to, get ahold of the seller and ask for two different heat ranges (color of the lights).

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Boom just like that I found them..Thanks for your help man...H7 was the missing link !! Now the next part..cheapest pair on ebay are 130.00 USD...anyone got a line on a cheaper place to get them???

·
Registered
192 Posts
If you just want the bulbs it still looks awsome at night!! I got them for my car and my bike and I will always get them. The bulbs themself are $20 shipped to my house. H7 is the same for my bike so...... its up to you with if you want to buy the whole thing. Still say the bulbs are good enough.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Just for some clarification here: Halogen is not HID.

HID: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-intensity_discharge_lamp
Basically, it's a gas bulb that's ignited and burns, like a fluorescent bulb. They take long to turn on - about 10 seconds in a car, and are best used with "tilting" headlights, or low beams... For these you need an "ignitor", a large capacitor that charges up, dumps a whole bunch of power into the light bulb, and ignites the gas...

Halogen: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headlights#Tungsten-halogen_light_sources
Is a filament bulb, like any other incandescent, but instead of the filament being made just of tungsten, it's infused, plated, or otherwise mixed with Iodine, which makes it glow hotter, and therefor brighter, at the same power input...

But yes, Travisty is correct. H7's are what you're looking for. The ninja comes with "tungsten" H7's - meaning they're color temperature is around 3200K. So, if, like he said, you went with a "white" H7, with a color temperature of 7000K or above, (blue and white), you'll be drawing the same amount of power, but the light will strike out farther - to explain this is a VERY long explanation. As well as color temp. If somebody wants it, I'll give it, but it's arduous..

If you wanted a "brighter" bulb, get an H9, it's about 1.5 times brighter than the H7. Don't get H4's, they're dual filament, and can't be used on the Ninja without modifications...

·
Registered
192 Posts
I just like the fact at night my lights will be a different color then everybody elses and it will be easier to see me.

·
Registered
646 Posts
There's kits on Ebay for Ninja 250R HID Conversion.
I think someone recommended H4 8000K last time I was looking. 'Dunno.

Yo be honoust, I backed out of the idea when I remembered everytime I saw a car with white and blue flickering blinding lights I knw the driver was a wanker. My riding says enough about me really, I don't want to be blinding people aswell. :p

·
Registered
277 Posts
One of the biggest problems with HID's is that our bikes don't have projector or reflective lenses. The HID's are all directed straight out the end of the bulb, so that's where you get the blinding effect. If you look at the Ninja's stock bulbs, they have a reflective tip so the light bounces back into housing, reflecting off of the headlight assembly. Projectors do the same thing, but they direct the beam of light.

Spooph: I haven't done any research because you seem to know the answer, but the H9's fit into our plugs without modification? I don't think I need the extra light, I get flashed to turn my high-beams off even when they aren't on. But, I'd like them at least for the high beam set.

·
Registered
331 Posts
The problem with HID is that if you use to high of the color temp,lets say something like 8000k and over,the light will be blueish-white.When driving at night in foggy or rainy condition you won't see a thing.The water droplets will cancel out the much needed light.To make most out of HID stay well below 6000K.The best color temp for good penetration through fog and rain is somewhere around 3400k,yellowish-white.So far all HID light are of 35watts bulbs.Way lower then our std 55watts halogen hence lower heat.The part that use ALOT of energy to start up the balb is the BALAST.It consumes like 300watts momenterary.Then it'll trickle down to a couple of watts.So it's a good idea to use HID only on low beam where it stay on.High beam on the other hand have to be turn on and off often to a point that you might flatten out you battery.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I ended up with these once.80%more light and longer beam.The beam from the driver's view is yellowish-white but the front view daylight white.There are numerous brand out there.Choose good once.Stay away from cheap
chinese made.They don't last very long.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow ...thanks everyone for such great input. I only wanted to change them because I see alot of people doing it. I assumed the stock lights were of poor quality. I never thought to ask you all how you felt about them, maybe there is no need to change them at all and save cash for cooler mods. I could get a fender eliminator or something for the price of these hid kits. What do you all think about the stock lights?? Maybe I will just buy better bulbs for 20-30 dollars.

·
Registered
277 Posts
My sister's Passat blew a bulb, and her car runs H7's. She went and bought some of those SilverStar bulbs, but asked me to install them. Well, somehow the damned SilverStars ended up in my bike and my bikes stock bulbs are now in her headlight assemblies. And she wonders why they're not that much brighter than what they used to be... Weird, I know.

;)

I love the SilverStars. They're super bright and have a much more crisp looking color than the stockers. I haven't done much night riding yet this year (still cold when the sun sets), but it has improved visibility during dusk and dawn riding.

I'd recommend a fender eliminator or save up for a pipe/jet kit.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Travisty your HID's dont have reflective tips. The ones I bought on ebay had flim or w.e you wanna call it on the end. JUST MAKE SURE U DONT TOUCH THE DAMN BULBS!!! I did that when I put them in my car and it fawking exploded. I was so pissed. Then when I put them in my bike I did it again. But I caught it b4 it was about to blow. But if you do get the whole kit with the capicaters, get the 10,000K. They are the best.

·
Registered
277 Posts
weth56 said:
Travisty your HID's dont have reflective tips. The ones I bought on ebay had flim or w.e you wanna call it on the end. JUST MAKE SURE U DONT TOUCH THE DAMN BULBS!!! I did that when I put them in my car and it fawking exploded. I was so pissed. Then when I put them in my bike I did it again. But I caught it b4 it was about to blow. But if you do get the whole kit with the capicaters, get the 10,000K. They are the best.
...Never said I had HID's...

I said the stock bulbs have reflective tips though. ;)

And yeah, read the instructions. I know it's a male machismo thing to not read it and assume you know what you're doing.. But never touch a bulb with your oily fingers. You'll have happen to you what happened to Weth. :)

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Travisty, No, the H9's don't require any modification, they just pop right in.

Ratty, just thought I'd clarify, but an H4 bulb is a dual filament bulb (highs and lows), and used in bikes with only one headlight. The H7 and H9 are single filament bulbs.... the H4 is just as bright as the H7. So, with the ninja's wiring, the H4 will never use one of it's elements. No attack intended, just thought I'd save somebody from spending extra cash. If I'm in the wrong, let me know. :D

Another general clarification: Power does not equal color temp. So, you can have a 35W, 55W OR 70W, 3500K bulb. Or you could have a 35W, 55W, OR 70W, 8000K bulb. The power is how much energy the light puts out (and how bright it is), and the color temp is what COLOR the bulb is.
Thus, a 35W, 8000K bulb will not be that bright, but be blue/white and SEEM like it's brighter.
A 70W, 3500K bulb will be very bright, but orange/yellow/white and SEEM not so bright...

So Eric hit it on this topic. Different temps (colors), for different driving conditions, but you probably want to go as bright as possible.

My impressions of the stock H7's = plenty of light for my reaction time. I've gone screaming up a canyon late at night (no cops:p), and been just fine, seen all the deer and have never gotten into trouble yet. But, more light is always nicer... Hope this helps!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Ya travisty I didnt think that I did. lol Then I had it in for like 1 day and my dad was infront of me and a car and called me and told me and I was like WTF!!! lol I mean the bulbs are $20 nothing really bad. But not I have a extra for both the car and bike.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts