Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen a lot of bikes lately parked in some pretty weird places. One guy parked his next to the actual bicycle rack. I'm curious if this is legal or not. Do any of you park on sidewalks or two feet from the entrance to a store like Wal-mart and run in real quick?

Where's the weirdest place you've ever parked, and was it legal?

Also, what exactly is a tank guard? I've been all over the place. Is it just like a piece of metal to help ground the gas or something?

Thanks,
-Aleckor

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts

·
The Man, The Mystery, The Itch.
4,853 Posts
Aleckor said:
I've seen a lot of bikes lately parked in some pretty weird places. One guy parked his next to the actual bicycle rack. I'm curious if this is legal or not. Do any of you park on sidewalks or two feet from the entrance to a store like Wal-mart and run in real quick?

Where's the weirdest place you've ever parked, and was it legal?

Also, what exactly is a tank guard? I've been all over the place. Is it just like a piece of metal to help ground the gas or something?

Thanks,
-Aleckor
Walmart doesnt mind you parking their, actually my girlfriend is a manager at walmart and they actually want bikers to park either there or up in front as long as its not near a fire lane or blocking pedestrians. Alot of jealous cager jerks will bang up a bike in the parking lot and the person who owns the bike will kill over it so they give walmart loads of shit when it happens. Easiest way to avoid it is to park in front. Customers' always right anyways in wally world so IF they did have a problem with it, they wouldnt say anything, who knows you may 'accidently' trip in the detergent isle and sue the shit out of them lol.

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
i parked outside of tesco with my bike instructor on my first lesson yesterday haha
this was on the path aswell XD

·
Registered
124 Posts
yah ive been wondering this too..

so what about a grocery store??
can i just park up front too? lol
cuz i know Shucks(auto sotre) has told me to park in front of their entrance window.. thought that was nice.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
I don't know what the laws say, but I think it has more to do with the bike becoming an obstruction, and giving the police a reason to write you a ticket... I've gone through a Carl jr. Drive through with my bike, and at King Soopers I usually park right by the entrance, but out of the way of any/all traffic, pedestrian, auto, or grocery carts, and nobody's given me a hard time. I think it's simply illegal to BLOCK a sidewalk, so if you're by the bicycle racks, and it's a large area continuous with the sidewalk, but you're not in anybody's way, I don't think you'll get a ticket/tow.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, those are some interesting places to park. I didn't know that walmart encouraged that. I just thought the biker guys were being obnoxious. I mean, they weren't in the way, but I figured they were just "sticking it to the man" or whatever.

And yes, that tank protector thing is what I was talking about. What happens if belt buckles/zippers rub up against the tank? Just scratches? or something more serious?
-Aleckor

·
The Man, The Mystery, The Itch.
4,853 Posts
metbandit1 said:
just scratches, which is annoying chuz it looks bad having a scratched tank
Not just that! Your zipper could ultimately after time rub a hole in the gas tank, then one day you go over a bump in the road and it will ignite the fuel and you'll go up in a ball of flames down the road at 60 mph....

Get the tank protector, your life depends on it. HAHA

·
Registered
157 Posts
virtualmatrix258 said:
metbandit1 said:
just scratches, which is annoying chuz it looks bad having a scratched tank
Not just that! Your zipper could ultimately after time rub a hole in the gas tank, then one day you go over a bump in the road and it will ignite the fuel and you'll go up in a ball of flames down the road at 60 mph....

Get the tank protector, your life depends on it. HAHA
I always hate when that happens lol

Once I worked at this place where the owner had this model ship in glass case in his office, so I thought what the heck, I brought my dirt bike into my office and set it up on a work stand . It was kinda fun. Here in Wa. people park their bikes pretty much where they want. If it's not blocking the way it's no problem.

·
Registered
646 Posts
In Australia you can park a motorcycle anywhere thats 1 meter from the kerb and isn't obstructing podestrians.. I believe? It's something like that anyway. At the end of the day however.. I park my bike where I want. :p

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
+1: I totally agree. Pics of bikes parked at weird places would be awesome.

:Sent via the NewNinja iPhone App:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.