Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up guys. I'm totally new to bikes, gonna take riding course soon. I saw lots of discussions about how rookies should start with used 250 or 300. So would you pls tell me how you bought your used bikes. Craigslist eBay local dealers? I'm in LA. Thx guys!!!

Also, like most of the new riders, I'm debating on getting a 300 or 6r... I'm 5.7 ft, 160 lb. I know it depends, but anyone who had the same struggle and made decision?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What part of Louisiana are you in? Also what are you wanting to do with the bike? How old are you? Have you ever ridden anything with a hand clutch?
I'm in Los Angeles, CA. Sorry for the misleading. I'm 27 turning 28 this year. I just wanna have fun riding down the streets. I don't think I will go on tracks, since I have no experience at all. No, only scooters. I like the sound of exhausts though, not that I would like to annoy people with that, I just like the sound and the acceleration from 1 - 60. I now drive a performance car and it requires almost nothing for driver to go fast. I know it's totally not the same thing as riding a bike, otherwise I would definitely go for 6r or 10r I guess.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm also from LA and also 27.... I bought my 2002 zx6r from Craigslist a year ago .... I just went ahead and bought a 600cc ..... I was told to start with a 250.... People told me That I would kill myself if I started with a 600cc... But i was fine... I always respected the bike..... Now I want a newer one!...
I also took the MSF course before I bought my motorcycle .... Very important!....maybe it's was a little risky to start with a 600cc idk?.... Depends on
How you feel , if a 600cc is too intimidating For you to tart with.... Just telling you my experience
Just be cautious when buying from Craigslist ....
A lot of sketchy people.....

·
1,458 Posts
I agree. I started On a zx9 after one small ride on a ninja 500. I think mindset is the most important thing. I think starting on a 6r is okay personally as long as you respect the bike, are mature
Enough mentally, and not easily manipulated
To show out. The 250 may fit
Your body but i promise coming from your sports car To a 250 will feel like a mistake. The 250 can be ridden fast and handles great but is missing the torque that you want have you ever considered something in the middle like a sport model. They dont have alot of speed and are not very aggressive On stance but are slightly more forgiving than a 6r. Personally i would say the 6r as long as you understand you need to start
Slow and consistent which will make you fast

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just went ahead and bought a 600cc ..... I was told to start with a 250.... People told me That I would kill myself if I started with a 600cc... But i was fine... I always respected the bike..... Now I want a newer one!... I also took the MSF course before I bought my motorcycle .... Very important!....Just telling you my experience Just be cautious when buying from Craigslist .... A lot of sketchy people.....
thx bro. It helps a lot. I think I'm gonna take the course, get the license first and then test drive both 300 and 6r see if I have what it takes. I guess after that I will pretty much get some idea about which one to choose. How did you avoid them sketchy people on Craigslist? Any suggestion? Thx!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree. I started On a zx9 after one small ride on a ninja 500. I think mindset is the most important thing. I think starting on a 6r is okay personally as long as you respect the bike, are mature Enough mentally, and not easily manipulated To show out. The 250 may fit Your body but i promise coming from your sports car To a 250 will feel like a mistake. The 250 can be ridden fast and handles great but is missing the torque that you want have you ever considered something in the middle like a sport model. They dont have alot of speed and are not very aggressive On stance but are slightly more forgiving than a 6r. Personally i would say the 6r as long as you understand you need to start Slow and consistent which will make you fast
yea, I always respect these powerful machines. Well, I don't really like the look of other models, they are not the reason that dragged me into bikes world. Thank you for the advices. I'll keep them in mind.

·
1,458 Posts
I used to live in mira mesa just north of san diego. Best advice is never pay anything in advance. Always look at the bike first. Check the oil for sure smell it as well. Okay to be black but needs to not have a bad non oil like smell or be a light whitish color for sure. Crank. The bike. Let it warm up completely and run at idle for a minute or two. Listen for knocking. Not ticking. Also listen to the motor when you rev it slightly for knock that gets louder or faster. Always have the title before you buy. Fairings are expensive so be sure you consider them in price if damaged. Also check the chain, sprockets, brske pads, and tires and factor them in as well Hope it helps

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I used to live in mira mesa just north of san diego. Best advice is never pay anything in advance. Always look at the bike first. Check the oil for sure smell it as well. Okay to be black but needs to not have a bad non oil like smell or be a light whitish color for sure. Crank. The bike. Let it warm up completely and run at idle for a minute or two. Listen for knocking. Not ticking. Also listen to the motor when you rev it slightly for knock that gets louder or faster. Always have the title before you buy. Fairings are expensive so be sure you consider them in price if damaged. Also check the chain, sprockets, brske pads, and tires and factor them in as well Hope it helps
Man, thank you so much for the specific suggestions! Big help! I live in Arcadia, kinda north of Los Angeles. I don't if we are far from each other, if not, when I get everything done, we should hang out riding together! Thanks again bro!

·
1,458 Posts
Yeah man you should learn as much as possible about your bike and doing as much maintainence as Possible. Lots of videos on YouTube. However not all people do things the right way so i suggest getting a maintainence manual for your bike.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Something else to ponder, there's a certain connection and respect for the sport you will have working on your own moto. And that will enhance your motorcycle experience 👍

09 ST3R

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.