Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's was looking to get a new jacket and gloves and wanted some of your takes on what's good, comfortable, and fair priced. If you know of good websites please list them. Thanks

·
Registered
46 Posts
It's was looking to get a new jacket and gloves and wanted some of your takes on what's good, comfortable, and fair priced. If you know of good websites please list them. Thanks
Hi Dan...i am using komine brand for jacket and gloves...its about 200 bucks for the jacket and 50 bucks for the glove...using those for a year now....still good.

·
Registered
674 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
revzilla.com
motorcyclegear.com

also consider going to a local shop and see if there are any discounts on jackets there ... not a bad idea to keep your relationship with the moto shop warm ...

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Kay, those are sweet and for 50.00 you got a deal. I took a 49 ride tonight with sneakers and I didn't like it. I feel more comfortable with boots on. Waiting for my pepboys rebate to come in to get some rising boots. Can't wait!

:Sent via the NewNinja App:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys for the information! I'll check out those sources. Also, do you guys know of a good place to get front and rear center stands for winter for a 2011 ninja 250r? Thanks
~Dan~

·
Registered
674 Posts
Thanks - got lucky on the boots. You need to jump on anything decent immediately if you are looking on Craigslist. Lucky for me I saw those boots listed as I was leaving work and they were literally on my way home.

For stands, Pitbull it one of the best, but more expensive. There are stands on Ebay also.

This company - Motorcycle Lifts and Stands - Motorcycle Stands - Fly-N-Cycle - advertises a lot and has low-priced stands - starting at $79 for the set. Obviously nowhere near the Pitbulls for quality, but for a small bike like the Ninja they may be fine.

That said, you don't really need to get the tires off the ground over the winter. Just pump them up an extra 5 pounds or so and you'll be fine. New tires won't flatspot like older ones did. I stored my cycle in an unheated shed over the winter (down to below 0) for years and didn't have any problems.

Jay

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the info Jay! Hey I was wondering what you did you winterized your bike in such cold weather? I live in MI and it gets below 0 a lot in the winter so I def wanna do the right thing. I've never worked on a bike at all so it will all be new to me what ever has to be done.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I (have to) store the bike every Winter. This is what I do to put it into hibernation:

-Give it a very good washing and thourough dry
-top up the fuel tank as high as you can
-add fuel stabilizer, run the bike for a few minutes with the sta-bil in
-lube the chain
-remove the battery, store that indoors
-cover the bike
-drown my sorrows with a few rounds of Gibsons over the loss of my motorcycle for the next 4-5 freakin' months!

·
Registered
674 Posts
One of the most important things to do before storage is change the oil and filter IMO. Using a synthetic oil like Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 is a good choice for the Ninja for regular use and storage. Synthetic oils protect the engine better than conventional oils during storage (and other times as well).

To change the oil, warm the engine up with a decent ride if you can, change the oil and filter, then start it up and let it run for 10-15 seconds to let the oil circulate and coat the inside of the engine - no more. NEVER start the cycle (after that) during storage to "warm it up". Only start it again when you are ready to ride. By starting and idling to warm up you are just contaminating your fresh oil by adding moisture and acids to it - which supports corrosion.

Wash and wax.

Check your coolant level and condition. Make sure you are safe down to the temps you will be storing.

Check and change brake fluid. If it's not crystal clear - flush it.

Lube and adjust the chain.

Pump the tires to 5 psi over normal running pressure.

Close-off the intake and exhaust openings.

I always top the tank completely with Ethanol-free gas + stabilizer + 2 or 3 oz of 2-stroke oil for extra protection from rust. For the Ninja you can easily drain the carb float bowls of gas before storing. Generally that's better than leaving treated fuel in there. It will take a little more cranking in spring to start it (the petcock needs vacuum to let the gas flow and fill the bowls again), but it should fire right up when the bowls fill.

Remove the battery. I charge mine with a trickle charger once a month for 2 or 3 hours. My '06 still has the original battery.

Jay

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.