Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
4,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was wondering what kind of tools you guys/gals use on your bike's. What you found valuable? Stuff that made your life easier? Stuff that you hate?

Here is my list of what I think I will need please input your opinion.

Torque Wrench (5 ft. lbs - 100 ft. lbs)
8mm - 15mm Wrenches
Hex keys/wrench
Maybe a dremel

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
General tools:

3,4,6,8 mm hex keys
8,10,12,14,27 mm sockets, ratched, and extensions, maybe a swivel, c/v joint
8,10,12,14 mm wrenches (box end on one side, open other side)
2 crescent wrenches
needle nose pair of pliers
stubby nose pair of pliers
small, large, preferably longer philips head screw drivers
small, large, preferably longer flat head screw drivers

Specialty tools:
cable luber: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VC2XXO
grunge buster chain cleaner
the Torque Wrench you mentioned
Dremel if you're going to screw up bolt/screw heads... :p
feeler guages if you're going to do your own valves
Tiny flat bladed screw driver if you're going to changing out jets.
90 degree screw driver if you want to adjust your air/fuel mixture screw.

Supplies:
RTV general purpose, high temp sealer
blue/red locktite
chain lube
extra oil

and my brain if fried, what did I miss?

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
ummmm..........What he said^........I think!!!

·
Registered
156 Posts

i bought this whole black and decker box at walmart 2 years ago... full of stuff..
plus extras below that and more stuff in the yellow tool box i got from kb homes..
all this and i still dont have a dremel.....

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts

·
Registered
4,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Felix said:
Good topic Delta!
Felix
hehehe I love tools. I could live at Lowe's in the TOOL World section (Home improvement store). I have a lot of stuff already except the torque wrench, hex keys (Have some), or a dremel.

Thanks for everyone that has participated so far keep it coming.

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
hmm whats in my toolbox....whatevers in the back of my bike me thinks....BUT NO C SPANNER! WHY NO C SPANNER!!

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Delta107 said:
you have the dirty mind!
your all a bunch of tools... HAHA! jk peeps... i have a nice set of husky tools that my uncle gave me with every socket size and depth and drive you could want along with numerous wrenches and such, plus some craftsman socket wrenches. gotta love the lifetime replacement. i turned me in my old and got me some new! =)

and when all else fails i raid my dads $10k + machinists tool chest... hehe

got some crazy tools in that thing! stuff i wouldnt even know how to use! haha

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Yes D, it will. But Sears is having a special sale this Sunday (11-15-09), I guess for people who spend a lot of money there (my dad does, so we got the flier), but whatever, and they have those same torque wrenches on sale for $39.99 each... I'm going to get myself a little one and a big one so I can do everything from 10lbs to 250lbs from now on.... :p I don't think they make them, but if you go over 100lbs make sure it's 1/2" drive, not 3/8".... You might want to call a Sears near you and check and see if they're having the same sale, eh?

·
Registered
4,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If you get a 3/8" and use a 1/2" adapter for a 27mm socket would that mess up the torque numbers?

I'm making a Christmas list and since all my family doesn't really know that I'm going to get a bike I can't ask for motorcycle gear. So I'm going for tools since I love them. lol

Well the only thing I will be using the torque wrench is the Ninja. Unless I rotate my tires on my car when I get one which I doubt.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
It would be better to have a 1/2" drive with a 3/8" adapter... You won't screw up the torque numbers, but with the higher numbers, you might break your adapter, or worse, you're wrench.... And there is one bolt on the 250 that I know of, that requires something like 217lbs of torque.... Guess which one it is...

Then you also have to ask yourself the questions:
1.) can I even exert that amount of force
2.) if I can, how would I exert it....

For instance, if you don't weight more than the torque specifications you can't just put all your weight on the wrench, and if you can exert that kind of force going up, isn't there the risk of picking the bike up off of the stands? I'm asking because these things have all happened to me... I ended up wheeling the bike over to a neighbor's with an impact wrench and just cranked it down... :p

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.