Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok... i filled up this time and 40 mpg... yeah i do a lot of interstate driving but come on!!! i don't even speed around but 68, 70. I'm pretty sure b/c i've tinkered with it. I'm just looking for any answers from people who know what they are talking about. Here's a list of things i've done. If i slow it down to the speed limit and ride with cars i can get 43.

15T front 42T rear
HMF exhaust
Dyno jet... i think i'm on the 98 jet & 2 up on the dyno jet needle
I did a r-0990 pod filter change but i quickly put the air-box in & put in a K&N with snorkel.
I'm at 21,600 miles & i'm just shy of my 23,000 mile service. When i talked to the service folks and they dont think a service will make it any better (of course not but in depth tuning probably would)

I've even thought of going back to the stock muffler to get my MPG's back.

Suggestions?...

·
Registered
173 Posts
The muffler shouldn't make that much of a difference. I'd look at the jetting and the air-fuel mistures etc

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
have you adjusted the valves?
If not check that then get it on a dyno. Check where the engine is burning all the fuel. You may find that you cruse RPM is very rich . I got over 50 mpg with a ton of mods

I think it is odd that with # 92 jet the bike runs well at all.Stock is #98 Your needles ?I assume stock needles are raised with washers. I bet that is where the fuel is going..But you need a dyno to be sure.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Well, let me ask the obvious questions. Since we last got an update on your ninja, you had maybe 5,000 miles on it or or. That means you put a ton of miles on it without putting anything here. So now you have to remember, when did it start suffering, and what did I do to make that happen?

I would think that yo gearing might be too tall - although I believe that to be one of the first mods you did.

I would also think that you are too lean, all around. Remember, with maximum power comes maximum efficiency, for you can keep your hand out of it. I agree, 43mpg is ridiculous, I still get 55-60mpg's habitually.

I'm going with X's answer - have your valves checked, a compression test, and make sure all is running as it should. Then have the jetting checked on a dyno. You might find a surprise.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
98 that's right...

I first noticed it on my trip to Lake Tahoe from Seattle... about 6,000 miles then. And it droped to 52... 50... It's well over due for a service now.

I have 2 ways i can do it.
1) Do it here in San Diego with people i hardly know. & pay a butt load for it.
2) Or take it back home to where my trusted micanic (soon to be in the family) can get it working. I can slip him some money under the table for the work. I'm heading back in January when i go back to see the family. It would be a 1800 mile one way trip tho with short time :(

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
If you have some time, doing the valves is not difficult, just time consuming.... mostly because of the cool-down time before. The engine must be cold....

·
Registered
656 Posts
yoursailor05 said:
Ok... i filled up this time and 40 mpg... yeah i do a lot of interstate driving but come on!!! i don't even speed around but 68, 70. I'm pretty sure b/c i've tinkered with it. I'm just looking for any answers from people who know what they are talking about. Here's a list of things i've done. If i slow it down to the speed limit and ride with cars i can get 43.

15T front 42T rear
HMF exhaust
Dyno jet... i think i'm on the 98 jet & 2 up on the dyno jet needle
I did a r-0990 pod filter change but i quickly put the air-box in & put in a K&N with snorkel.
I'm at 21,600 miles & i'm just shy of my 23,000 mile service. When i talked to the service folks and they dont think a service will make it any better (of course not but in depth tuning probably would)

I've even thought of going back to the stock muffler to get my MPG's back.

Suggestions?...
Depending on other mods check your plug gaps.

I just regaped my plugs and on this last 1\4 of a tank I got 65mpg up from 30\40 haha so deffly check that shat.
Also I think some of it might have to do with toting my gf around but that's another story *sigh*

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry bud i'm not riding all the way up to CO to work on the bike together... I've been gone a lot and time at home is very nice & well reserved.

AUDACIA ~ do you mean try them to between 30 and 40?

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
If it helps, I MIGHT be out in Sacramento in late November to pick up a car... I know it's not close, but it's closer than CO.... :p Either way, best of luck on trouble shooting and keep us posted, eh?

I think what Audi was trying to say that the "30/40" was the MPG's he was getting, which was crappy, and since gapping his spark plugs, he now gets 65mpg. I believe spark gap is supposed to be .025" or something like that?

·
Registered
656 Posts
yoursailor05 said:
Sorry bud i'm not riding all the way up to CO to work on the bike together... I've been gone a lot and time at home is very nice & well reserved.

AUDACIA ~ do you mean try them to between 30 and 40?
no gap them at .028 as per the specs. mine were .040 way the EF off.

my AMPG was around 40 now its in the 60's again

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yeah i still am. I wont be back to my bike for a while. I'll worry bout it when it comes time.

Guy at the shop didn't want to see my bike till 23,000 miles... Guess he didn't want any $$

1 - 20 of 28 Posts