Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner

Should i get the VW or the ninja or both and go really in debt!

• VW

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ninja

• both?!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
READ THIS BEFORE VOTING.

ok so heres the thing... ive got the choice of going with a very swish looking old golf... (i forget if its mk1 or mk2) for £1700... or going with the ninja for £3300.

The thing is..i really love my bikes, but a car is far more practical and i love my VW's also.

i really dont know what i should do..should i go for the VW for the practicallity and the fact i can take it to shows and wait another year for the ninja..or go for the ninja and wait for the golf? or get both and have to work my ass off and never go out with friend again for about 3 years haha

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
I would personally take both and work you ass off... But if it really comes down to it, get the Golf. The ninja's are new, and are only going to get cheaper with more used ones coming on the market. If the Golf is a Mk1, they are slowly dying out, and they are such sweet little cars...

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks spooph! Yeh thats what im worried about with the golfs how they are dying out.

·
Registered
132 Posts
if i were you, age 16, i'd definitely get the vw and not the bike yet. telling me not to hang out with friends for 2 days, i rather die. bike is more like half toy half transportation...leave it till you can afford it. and for cars, basically you just need it to get around right?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Personally, I wish I would have got into street bikes at your age. I would buy the gulf and then wait and see if you feel the same way about buying a ninja afterward. I do love an old Vdub, throw us some pics to drool over!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Nowt wrong with a soft top if you're a girl. But when you've got a soft top that's 20 years old, you're gonna have a lot of trouble with it.

I don't like the fact you've decided on a VW, and not shopped round for something you can afford. You're only paying for the badge. I'll admit, I was exactly the same 2 years ago, I had my eyes dead set on a VW Golf 1.8 GTDi, but when it came to it, I went for a cheaper car, my lusho 2007 Ford Focus 1.6i. I don't regret that decision for one moment.

My first car was a Fiesta 1.0! You gotta remember that you're not just buying a car, you're buying insurance and tax too. Smaller less expensive car = lower insurance premium and less tax. You don't need to have an awesome car at your age, you've got plenty of time for that in the future, when you've gotten through uni and get into a full time job!

Sorry if I'm being patronising, but that's how I see it.

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
nah i get you!!

but this cars tax exempt because of its age...

what im thinking of is buying the bike..getting a job... then buying this car 6 months down the line me thinks..
pretty hot car though!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Nah way man, it's a 1.8, it's been modified, it'll cost you more in insurance than the car's worth! And it's not exempt, according to the dvla it'll cost you £185 a year to tax!

I'd seriously stay away from it, and go for something a bit cheaper and smaller!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Put it this way, aged 19 after 1 year no claims nor convictions, with a 1987 Nissan Sunny 1.4, it cost me £900 to insure.

When are you 17? Remember you've got lessons to take for both car and bike, tests for both, and then insurance for both. I'm sorry to bring you back down to earth so harshly, but it's gonna cost you a bloody fortune!!!

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i know i know all of this! i also have 1 years no-claims.

was that £900 fully comp or 3rd?

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
dont worry i have...thats why i think ill get the car like 6 months down the line, get my dad to insure it...then get put on as a named driver :D

·
Registered
229 Posts
wow quite the dilemma... well right off the bat u can rule out both cause that clearly isn't a wise decision. my first thought was to go with the ninja which was then reinforced when i saw the picture of the car :p haha jk. but as already mentioned a softtop isn't a good choice for a 20 yo car. a car makes sense more as u can use it all year and your friends can ride with u. still though i think u should get the ninja. in the winter just plan alternate transportation and when you're riding it, you'll know u made the right decision :p

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Metbandit, I'm afraid these folks are right. The soft top will probably leak and be really noisy. The insurance, well Daf knows a lot more about that than I do...

But damn, I agree with you, a Cabrio is just cool. Like a mid 60's Ghia...

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
hmm yeh my dad says it would be stupid to go with the golf....

ninja it is :D:D

and later down the line ill start to look for cars..maybe not this one but i would like a golf!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.