Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(Ninja 250R) I have an online version of the manual and therefore I spent 15 minutes trying to find it and couldn't. Is there any benefits to running a higher octane that burns cooler, though? What do all of you use in your bikes? (Even if not Ninja 250R)

Also- I am looking to buy some Octane Booster, and some of the stuff you mix in your gas tank that helps keep the gas in your tank and carbs good.. uhm.. it begins with an 'S' I believe. Are these both available at AutoZone or PepBoys or another car place? Or CycleGear?

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
There should be a silver sticker under the rear passenger seat. Under fuel, it says 91 Ron which is equal to 87 Octane. Is there any benefit to running higher octance or octance booster? On a stock bike the benefit is minimal at best. You will go thru gas faster. Do all the performance mods like Racer X and there will be a benefit, but you will still burn thru gas faster.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Seafoam is a cleaner, stabilizer & conditioner. Not unless you are experiencing performance problems, associated with dirty valves, dirty carbs, fuel problems such as water in the gas, old gas, dirty fuel or fuel lines, the detergents in most gas will do a pretty good job of not allowing gumming up of your carbs. Running the Ninja till it is is empty and keeping it full of fresh gas, you should not have a problem for a long while with regular maintenance.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, Seafoam and Stabil, that is what I was getting at. So the key is to add the correct amount of seafoam to my gas tank (does it need to be a full tank of gas?) and try and run the bike as much as I can in the next few days to get it through the carbs, etc. Am I on the right track here? I want to go buy a can tomorrow and see if this takes care of some of the minor issues I have been having.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
If you plan on storing your bike, stabil or seafoam will be ok. If you are going to be riding, as a suggestion, I would use some Lucas Fuel Treatment. It does not contain the harsher solvents and alcohol like the others. You can find it at your local auto parts store.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
you should be fine with 87 or 91 on an 08-09. The compression i 11.6 to 1 . with the first gen it is a bit higher . But 91 should be fine .
Octane is a resistance to burning. higher octane wont help Adding octane booster wont help with performance. Fuel stabilizers are good if you are storing the bike for more than two months. and Sea Foam has bean said to remove gunk from fuel systems.
What sort of issues are you having?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Racer X said:
you should be fine with 87 or 91 on an 08-09. The compression i 11.6 to 1 . with the first gen it is a bit higher . But 91 should be fine .
Octane is a resistance to burning. higher octane wont help Adding octane booster wont help with performance. Fuel stabilizers are good if you are storing the bike for more than two months. and Sea Foam has bean said to remove gunk from fuel systems.
What sort of issues are you having?
A little bit of hesitation out of first gear usually, varies what rpm it was out. Also I was having overheating problems (just the radiator fan going on) but I found out it is because my idle was WAY to high (around 2k) and once I turned the idle knob out it was fine and also I was letting it warm up for way too long, now that I am getting an ear and eye for it it hasnt done it since. I just am abou tto be pretty empty on gas so I figured I will put in the seafoam and fill up my tank and run it through the best I can. The bike had been sitting all winter with gas and old oil in it from previous owner so once I got the 1k complete checkup and tune up done I just want to make the carbs shiny clean :) and im sure some nice new gas and clean carbs will do the bike wonders. Just from being on this site in the last couple weeks I have done little adjustmentds here and there that I didnt know about that have helped the bike immensely.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Felix said:
Thanks Felix, I have done so-

So because my bike is not yet insured with no plates and I have to drive a bit through a campus plus a major route to get to the nearest autoparts store and gas station from school, I just borrowed my roomates 2 1/2 Gallon gas can and went and filled it up. I got it perfectly full, in the end, actually, since we also had a gallon milk carton that I thoroughly cleaned then dried out and it worked well.

Anyway- I filled it up with some nice new oct. 87, which already seemed like once it ran for a little bit made a huge difference. Then I measured out the correct portions of the Seafoam and slowly added it to the tank. I put on my gear and went for about a 45 minute ride through the back-roads leading to off-campus housing and some of the older lab halls, just kept doing laps.. must've been pretty annoying to the poor souls mixing solvants by the lab window I kept zipping by haha.. but I did use up a little bit of gas, or atleast mixed the solution up well it got it into the carbs.

I am actually typing from my library computer right now, I have a class coming up in just under thirty minutes and once it is done I have the rest of the day free pretty much, so I will get as much daylight riding in as possible before I put her to bed.

ALSO- my fender eliminator finally arrived today when I went to check mail.. was awesomely excited. Will probably be posting some questions on how to exactly install because it is a full kit with plate lights, smaller l.e.d. signals etc.

Anyway- that is my post for now. I have to make it pretty much across campus soon so I will shut the trap and get gone!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.