Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may have been discussed before, but I can't find anything. So I've been looking at getting a 600. I'm still not sure if I'm gonna do it, because I do love my 650. But all the bikes I'm looking at have 12-16k miles. I'm fairly new to this sportbike thing and parallel twins and four cylinders and such. I came from the vtwin world so you'll have to pardon the ingnorance for the time being. I can only learn by asking. I paid cash for my brand new 650 and just did the first oil change. I know how I am about maintenance on anything I own, but not so much with other people. So, after all that, I guess I'm just asking what alot of miles is considered to be on a four cylinder bike. That range seems to be the getting rid of point for these things. I just don't wanna pull the trigger on a bike and have to buy a new motor in a couple thousand miles. Everybody on here seems to know their stuff, so I figured I'd get some honost opinions instead of the used car salesmen answers. You know, like "That's not an oil leak, that's just sweat from all that power."

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
MightyMouse said:
This may have been discussed before, but I can't find anything. So I've been looking at getting a 600. I'm still not sure if I'm gonna do it, because I do love my 650. But all the bikes I'm looking at have 12-16k miles. I'm fairly new to this sportbike thing and parallel twins and four cylinders and such. I came from the vtwin world so you'll have to pardon the ingnorance for the time being. I can only learn by asking. I paid cash for my brand new 650 and just did the first oil change. I know how I am about maintenance on anything I own, but not so much with other people. So, after all that, I guess I'm just asking what alot of miles is considered to be on a four cylinder bike. That range seems to be the getting rid of point for these things. I just don't wanna pull the trigger on a bike and have to buy a new motor in a couple thousand miles. Everybody on here seems to know their stuff, so I figured I'd get some honost opinions instead of the used car salesmen answers. You know, like "That's not an oil leak, that's just sweat from all that power."
If the bikes been well maintained with regular servicing ,valve clearances checked etc and the bike runs sweet then mileage doesn't matter but if it's smoking ,coughing ,banging ,spluttering etc then stay clear ,also what's the year of the bike your looking at etc

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was looking at a 05 ZX6R with about 14000 miles really hard. Supposedly it's never been dropped or laid down and has a clear title. That's a really rare thing around here. I've never seen so many people try to sell wrecked bikes. He wants 5500 for it.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I've never seen so many people try to sell wrecked bikes.
The fact that so many of these 600cc bikes are wrecked may be a red flag. Why not keep your far more comfortable and forgiving 650?
Not to be the nagging mom type, but have you considered just what you use the bike for? Unless you are going to do track days - which would be awesome - your 650 is likely an all-around far better machine to own and operate.

Sorry, not really answering your question. But, to address that question, I'd also consider why so many of these bikes go for sale at that reasonably low mileage? I agree that a well maintained bike, with some proof of service records, is fine in the low teens for miles. A good visual inspection will give you clues about what shape the tires ae in and if the bike has been down before. SS bikes are pricy and the insurance can be high too, so a used bike with those miles is likely a good option if you can feel confident about the maintenance.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I always start at the chain when determining if the cycle was well maintained or not. Anyone that really does good maintenance will keep the chain looking good. It's one of the first things that gets overlooked by someone that does just the minimal maintenance.

The brake fluid is also another good indicator. If it dark it hasn't been maintained. If it's more than about 4 years old it will be dark unless it's been flushed.

Look at the oil color and ask them what oil they run. Listen to it idle. If the guy revs it up high to impress you while it's warming-up - pass on it.

If it looks beat, chances are it is.

Jay

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice. Black Boar, to put your mind at ease, I am keeping my 650R. I won't get rid of that. I love my 650. Yes, I am looking at buying a 600 for future use on the track. Do I need a 600 on the highway? Absolutely not with the way I ride. I use my 650 as a really fun commuter. I've been pushing the 650 harder and harder through the twistys and I've come to a conclusion. With the right set of skills, it doesn't matter how many cc's you have. My 650 stays right on the tails of all the 600's and even the 1000's in the corners. On the highways, I don't need a faster bike for sure. I would get in so much trouble. I live just down the road from the Streetfighterz bike club that has sooo many movies on youtube and dvds of them going down the road like aholes. Sure it looks cool, but then everybody tries it and fails to realize that one season of experience doesn't qualify you to try half of that. Especially on a busy highway. I think that has alot to do with it. So, I don't plan on getting goofy on the highway, but I would like to get goofy on the track. Which is why I'm looking at used bikes. I don't wanna take a brand new bike and push it just over the line. Which is where it will end up with me. I got the itch when I watched a replay of a motogp race over the weekend. First time ever watching one, and my only thought was "I want to do that". So, now I'm looking for a bike to learn how to. So, you're not being the nagging mom type. I always appreciate the views of those that have more experience on these things than I do.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, I have three tracks that aren't too far away. Which is surprising given that we're mostly a farming state. One is about 30 minutes, then the next one is about an hour and a half and the next one is about 4 hours away. I know how you feel about sinking money into these things. But I've done just about everything else from late model dirt to drag racing and some drifting and road courses. This is the only thing left for me. Which is part of the reason that I bought my first sport bike. They're fast and fun. I have a sickness and I figure that you only get one trip, so might as well make it a good one. Save enough to pay the bills and blow the rest. I'm hoping that I can do some track days with some lessons involved. There's a pretty good organization around here. It's not too expensive for a weekend. The biggest investment other than the bike is quality gear. The suits are really expensive. Of course, judging by other threads that I've read on here, just looking at a bike costs a rediculous amount of money up there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.