Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The first service should take place at 600 miles or 1,000 km.

The first service includes

Inspecting
  • Throttle control system operation
  • Idle speed
  • Fuel hoses and clamps
  • Coolant level
  • Coolant leaks
  • Radiator Water hoses and clamps
  • Clutch operation
  • Brake system operation
  • Brake light operation
  • Brake fluid level
  • Brake fluid leaks
  • Brake lines and hoses
  • Steering play
  • Bolt and nut tightness

Replacing
  • Engine oil and filter

·
Registered
33 Posts
I was told my first service would cost me roughly $200 Canadian. I am automotive service tech, is it really necessary to have this done at a dealer or should I just do it my self?

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts
One thing about the first service... I've just bought a new bike, and my first service is 600miles as well. I've noticed certain things that I'm not 100% happy with and I've gone over the bike with a fine tooth comb. So one positive for taking it back to the dealer for the first service is getting them to sort out and teething problems.

Felix

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
Yeah, my 650R had a warranty recall that was announced just after I picked it up, had to have a new heel guard installed, so I had it done with the first service, no big deal.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Mr. Shiggs - depending on how comfortable you are, you could just get a manual and do the first service yourself. However, if you're not comfortable wrenching on a bike, then I would take it into the shop.... But, is it required to make the first service? Not really, but you're bike will thank you in the long run. Typically, motos can't be pushed as far beyond their recommended service limits as cars. They have a lot less safety features and the safer your bike, mechanically, the safer you are, so make sure it gets done appropriately, in whichever fashion you deem appropriate. If you want some more info on the manual, please PM me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm the DIY type of guy and I am getting ready to change my oil. What is the recommended oil for 250 Ninja? I was told that I should use Kawasaki 10W-40 oil. But I have also heard that Valvoline 10W-40 is preferred choice by most people. This will be the 600 mile oil change if that makes a difference. Any recommendations??

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
can-o-worms.... urg, not another one.... Let me see how efficiently I can get through this...

Right, There is no such thing as "the best oil".... Run Kawi 10w-40 if you'll change the oil AT LEAST every 3,000 miles.... I change mine every 2K. If you go with anything else synthetic, semi-synthetic, it's best to contact the manufacturer asking them which intervals to change it at, what kind of wear and tear you can expect.

Some automotive oils have extra additives in it which aren't terribly good for the wet-clutch which is bathed in the same oil as the crank-case/engine oil, on the 250R. Thus, be careful which oils you buy for your bike. How will you know? It will have a "JASO" emblem somewhere on the container which means the Japanese moto manufacturers have tested it and certified that it will work well in their motos.

Also, don't buy expensive oil, like Royal Purple, and plan on changing it every 2K miles... It's just taxing on the environment, and totally not necessary.... If you run Royal Purple, plan on at least 6K between oil changes. This might be an option when covering a lot of ground in a season, but it's worse for you engine to have oil sit over a "winterized" season. Heat cycles and temperature differences are what kill oil. So, to me, it makes sense then to change the oil more often than to press the more synthetic oils further.... The reason I use Regular old dyno juice like Kawi oil is because it breaks down quickly, so I can change it often, which means I get a look inside my engine every 2K miles by "reading" the oil.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts