Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
1,458 Posts
Just wondering what you guys think about the bike break in period, is it necessary? If so what would the maximum rpm i can left it up to?
very very necessary!!!!!! Although no one can tell you the exact way to do it. If you talk to guys looking for the most horsepower ( I.e Don Guhl )they say run the crap out of the bike in the first real heat cycle of the motor and they Dyno higher horsepower . If you talk to ppl who break the motor in according to the manual. Their bikes definitely seem to last quite a bit longer than the first. I can tell you on our race motor. We break it in a such first 50 miles we stay low in Rpms but shift a lot up and down in gears1-6 and do not turn the bike off. The next 100 miles we a build bike temps up again shifting a lot. Never turning the throttle past50-60%. We then shut the bike off and place on stands where we have like 8 fans to cool the motor quickly. The next 100 mile process is repeated but we increase the throttle to80-90% and then super cooled. The next time we ride it all out. That being said I broke my r6 in by the book. And was religious about it. I used and abused that bike more than any other bike and never had a problem with the motor. That bike was stronger on the top end than all the other 600's. Not just that but it produced great power through it's entire life only lost 2 hp at the rear wheel in 60,000 miles at 10000 rpm and above pretty much the entire life of the motor outside break in. Hope this helps

·
Registered
24 Posts
Honestly, I believe in a rougher break in of a bike. I don't exactly think that it's the best thing to rip on it when you first get it. I think that it's okay to Gun it above what is recommended. A rough break in of a bike will kinda let it learn what is in store for the rest of it's life. I don't want the bike to not get broken in all the way because you babied it..

·
1,458 Posts
Honestly, I believe in a rougher break in of a bike. I don't exactly think that it's the best thing to rip on it when you first get it. I think that it's okay to Gun it above what is recommended. A rough break in of a bike will kinda let it learn what is in store for the rest of it's life. I don't want the bike to not get broken in all the way because you babied it..
you want to know more about what a rough break in does to a motor call don Guhl and ask him about what happens to the motor. I'm a very picky person. I break my in a way that has never failed me. The first 1500 miles I shift a lot up and down. Keeping the Rpms moderately low. I will not ride at a constant speed as that's not good for the motor as it causes gouges in the pistons to be deeper. I change speeds a lot and will even go
To 80% throttle as long as I keep my Rpms low. Once the bike get hot the first few times. I super cool the bike with. A few fans. Ses to help the motor
Any other questions just ask Hope this helps

·
Registered
9 Posts
Was told by a guy that races often and runs a kawa dealership to do a lot of speed range and engine breaking, did it with my 250r and made it to 33000 miles , it would have went to 100000 if it didn't get stolen, and never had the valve clearance worked on or adjusted from 0 to 33000, plus once every couple of to 3 months run a tank of 100 octane racing fuel through it.

·
1,458 Posts
Was told by a guy that races often and runs a kawa dealership to do a lot of speed range and engine breaking, did it with my 250r and made it to 33000 miles , it would have went to 100000 if it didn't get stolen, and never had the valve clearance worked on or adjusted from 0 to 33000, plus once every couple of to 3 months run a tank of 100 octane racing fuel through it.
thats basically the same as I do but I go a bit further with the quick temp changes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thats a good idea also, didn't think about but i was doing that too, living in North Georgia at the time driving 300 miles one way to central south Georgia for work every other weekend, different temps vastly from mountains to the flat lands, and riding 365 days a year in any weather.

·
Registered
9,088 Posts
For the berak in period on a bike, personally I think that it's good to take it easy and do about half of what the manual says. I like to break it in hard so you can get everything settled and ready to run hard..
Just use some common sence......:thumb:
Don't run it wide open for hours, but don't be ascared to run it either....:whistling:
Back n forth in them rpm ranges....:popcorn:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.