Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, waiting to get my 2009 from the dealer and had a couple questions regarding routine maintenance tools. Been riding harleys for many years and need some thoughts on metric tools. I have a set of 1/4" and 3/8" metric sockets, open and box end wrenches , torque wrench. What size allen heads do I need? I use a t-handle and allen head sockets and wondered what sizes are most needed. I have a 6 point 17mm socket for oil drain bolt--is the filter bolt the same size? Also any recommendations for bike stands for maintenance? I like to try and do as much as I can and avoid the dealer for things I can do myself. Any other tools you've found useful in maintaining your ninja? Sorry so many questions ;D. I haven't anticipated a new bike so much for the last 20 years. I'm sure my ninja is going to be a blast.Thanks in advance any thoughts are most appreciated.----Ted in Virginia

·
Registered
47 Posts
Congrats on the bike! it comes with a set off tools under the back seat so you don't really need to buy anything else to take it all apart and to maintain it, it comes with allen keys,wrenches and a screw driver. For what size wrenches, sockets you need you can just compare with the set of tools under the seat to what you have already. Also for bike stands I hear good things about Pit Bull stands they are heavy duty and can fit all types of bikes but they are expensive, but they could last a lifetime if cared for.

·
Registered
50 Posts
if you ever plan on rejetting the carb needles yourself, then i would suggest getting a JIS-type phillip screw bit. it made the job much easier.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tnx for the input. Sounds like I just need a set of allens with handles. My torque wrench is measured in inch/lbs and newtons/meter. How are the measurements listed in the service manual? I may need to write out a conversion chart.
It sucks having no bike right now. The local dealer sells out as soon as his monthly allotment hits the store. I'm first on the list for March which is the green special edition. Not sure what's special other than the color, but still added $100 to the price $4200 OTD. Thanks again ;D...Ted

·
Registered
50 Posts
the manual has it torque measurements in n/m, kgf/m, ft/lb (in/lb where applicable).

as far as i know, the "special edition" is just the color scheme, a "special edition" sticker near the gas cap, and the green wheel strips.

·
Registered
267 Posts
sound wave said:
the manual has it torque measurements in n/m, kgf/m, ft/lb (in/lb where applicable).

as far as i know, the "special edition" is just the color scheme, a "special edition" sticker near the gas cap, and the green wheel strips.
+1 that is correct.

I think that you would use ft/lbs more than in/lbs though.

·
Registered
331 Posts
In my opinion.We should all make ourselfs get used to metric measurements.The world is running around this system nowadays.Very precise and ez to calculate.Even NASA was forced to use metric when they 1st send there spacecraft centuries ago.

G

·
eric said:
In my opinion.We should all make ourselfs get used to metric measurements.The world is running around this system nowadays.Very precise and ez to calculate.Even NASA was forced to use metric when they 1st send there spacecraft centuries ago.
When there are no more american auto makers anymore then all thats left will be metric. Mostly/sorta.
Sleepy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts