Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I want an overall opinion.
Do you warm your tires when you start to ride or is this a waste of time for guys like me just riding for work.

Also when can you tell they are warm enough?

I try to always warm my tires because it is starting to get colder here, (and it increases the size of my chick'n strips)

Thanks for the imput

·
Registered
646 Posts
If your just commuting its not really worth it.. Unless you confuse commuting with playtime and try get lean angles onto the way to work or whatever.. Which I'm by no means frowning apon.. Depends on the ride style your using, rather than where your destination is.. Yeah, Thats what I'm saying. Can I get that in a bumper sticker?

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
I'm fully behind Ratty. I commute daily in fairly cold temps, and with dirt and grime on the road during the winter months, I do a lot of "weaving" back and forth, in my own lane, not causing anybody else concern. Especially right before a corner, because I often confuse my commuting with play, as Ratty put it. Brilliant mantra by the way Ratty... I'm going to include it in my book of riding mantras...

"I confuse commuting with play." :p

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok so I just wanted to make sure because I do play as i commute, sometimes it is racing due to time :), Lots of curvy highway transfers for me so I can get my lean on.... But was stopped by a police officer saying I was swerving but didn't get me a ticket. So when do you know when your tires are "warm" or after a couple good weaves should it be good. Also when is too cold too cold for these bikes? I'm not like you spooph where your prob battling some snow but in Fresno it does dip down to freezing or so in the winter.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
You know they're warm by feeling how sticky they are... :p Those "weavings" I do, in part I do right before a turn to gauge my tire's "stiction"... :p I don't weave politely in my lane, I throw the bike from white line to white line as fast as I can, which causes me to get over significantly anyway, and based off of that I judge my lean angle for the upcoming turn...

ANd I'm not battling snow yet, but the asphalt is really cold, and on hard touring tires, it's easy to slide, so I feel your concern..

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
I saw a guy on his ninja going on a straight lane leaning the bike left and right for like 30 seconds and I was like hum.does he not know its a straight line?? Lol but this is good to know. I just jump on and ride.

·
Registered
732 Posts
ninja man said:
i always take it easy for the first 3miles when my tyres are cold or when its a cold day .
I agree here. I too confuse commuting with play.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I just ride for a few miles and it seems to warm the tires up fine. Even when it gets down to the teens here it seems that my tires are pretty warm after a few miles, but usually im on the highway for 1/2 of my commute.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts