Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey im new to street riding got my first road bike yesterday from ultimate cycles in richmond va (2009 500r) only had 319 miles on the bike i rode it home to charlottesville and had a blast! The bike was comfortable and had a suprising amount of power for its size. However when i got home i stoped the bike showed it to my father etc then took off down the road for a short ride into town and the engine lost power while riding?!?! I could get it choked on and warm and it would only run for about two mins then stall out again. Im thinking that i might have just left the choke on a little to long and flooded the bike? Has anyone else had this problem? Also are there any virginia riders on here?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Sup fool! Lol just kidding Welcome to NN! I from Maryland (northeast). There are a few riders from VA but it's probably too damn hot to reply right now in this heatwave.
As far as your bike I'm a little familiar with VA bit not where Charlotte is. Is it in the mountains? If so then a bike that's been at sea level that goes to a higher elevation might require tweaking of the carburetor. Thinner air in the mountains probably is running the bike rich and could cause the problem. I'm sure there will be others that will chime in on this. Good luck and don't be afraid to ask. Everyone on here is great and helpful.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick response bullet! Charlottesville is in central virginia very close to the appalation mnts but the elevation here is similar if not the same as it is the hour trip to richmond where i bought the bike im going in a little bit to see if i had just flooded the carb. Im hoping thats what happend. And it is hella hot but im lovin riding in it! Feels good to me i think its 102 can the heat mess with the way the bike runs?

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Welcome. Your 500 suffers from the same thing the Ninja 250 does when it gets too hot. Between the heat from the engine and heat for the sun, the vapors in the tank become higher than the tank can vent, which can cause a full flow problem. Next time try cracking the gas cap. A good habit is to do it when the bike has been ridden for a while then sits briefly, been sitting in the sun/heat for a period of time or even if you get a chance to during stop and go traffic. Also it doesn't hurt to park in the shade when you can or even put a tank cover or bra on to keep the tank a little cooler.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I believe I'm the only 500 owner here, welcome to the 500 club, wait I think there is one other. Luckily I haven't had this problem but when you get on the bike listen you might hear the pressure build up in the tank, I can in this hot weather. So I crack it open quick.

Get pictures up!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well here's a third as well. Anyways when you got the bike did it set for awhile? I let mine set a summer and the gas cruded up the carb. I had to leave the choke partially on at all time or it stalled. And it would periodically stall as well. Got the carb cleaned and runs like a champ. Hope you get it all sorted out. The 09 500 is a great bike.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The vapor issue is a definite possibility. I hope that is it but, time will tell. On a daily basis my 250 gets ridden on the highway for 20 mins at about 75, bakes in a parking lot for 9 hrs then gets ridden home on the highway. I have not experienced the vapor issue. There is another possibility. An 09 with super low miles obviously wasn't ridden much. My shot in the dark: the dealer cleaned the carbs but didn't (most dealers don't, it seems) flush the tank, inspect the petcock and inspect/replace fuel lines and filter. If a bit of ethanol gummy goo broke free when you stretched her legs out, that could also cause the problem. Again, time will tell. If the problem seems to "reset", it's probably vapor. If the problem persists or gets worse, it's likely a fuel blockage. Let us know how it goes. Either way, it's an easy enough issue to get around. Congrats on the bike and enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using New Ninja

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the responses! I got back on it yesterday and after a little coaxing she started up got warm and i got it the gas station filled up and road for another 60 70 miles! Seems that the problem has been resolved i think it was either the vapor problem or i may have just flooded the carb. But i stoped at several diffrent places breifly and the got back on the road all seems fine ran great road down the road in a pack with a ktm super moto and an 850 harley and kept up fine. Ill post pics after i get back from the beach tomorrow. Also where is a good place to order colored ninja decals for the bike?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.