How do you think it looks

• Good but not great

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please see the before and after pictures. I am so pleased with how this came out. I used automotive sandpaper 80 grit to remove the clear coat and old paint scheme. Then 600 and then 1000 to smooth the helmet. It's all about prep work. Masking tape to cover all vents and places I didn't want paint to go. Then cut out a stencil I liked to add some grit to the helmet. I used Krylon Primer+Black Satin for the base coat 2 layers. Then used Duplicolor Engine Enamel "Grabber Green" which is a nearly exact color match. Couldn't be happier with it's outcome. If you have been considering this project. Do it. It took start to finish 5 hours including dry time between coats.
:thumb:

Attachments

·
Registered
630 Posts
I really want to paint my helmet, please make a detailed tutorial. You did an awesome job on it.

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
While I like what you have done, isn't this illegal? I have always been under the impression that you can't repaint a helmet, and even placing stickers on the helmet can have a detrimental effect on the integrity of the helmet.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Zandit said:
While I like what you have done, isn't this illegal? I have always been under the impression that you can't repaint a helmet, and even placing stickers on the helmet can have a detrimental effect on the integrity of the helmet.
Repainting might because you sand it but placing a sticker on it does nothing except alter the aerodynamics slightly.

·
1,458 Posts
Actually. Stickers cause no aerodynamic disturbance and the reason painting is hard on helmets is the sanding and paint it self. If you dont sand into the helmet just the paint. Then no harm done. However certain paints slowly break down the material in the helmet surface causing a weaker spot. All in all. Helmet themselves will go bad before the paint becomes a issue.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Actually. Stickers cause no aerodynamic disturbance and the reason painting is hard on helmets is the sanding and paint it self. If you dont sand into the helmet just the paint. Then no harm done. However certain paints slowly break down the material in the helmet surface causing a weaker spot. All in all. Helmet themselves will go bad before the paint becomes a issue.
What is it, every 5 years helmets have to be replaced?

·
Registered
630 Posts
I was considering getting some krylon fusion spray paint and covering up the stupid stuff that came on my helmet. I'd rather have a fully black helmet than what I have now.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Fyi for those who think they know everything. Duplicolor engine block paint is the same material and product that they make nfl football helmets with. So ur telling me its unsafe? Duplicolor should be getting sued left and right then. They are the ones who recommended the project to me. They advised what chemicals to avoid that could compromise the shell and integrity.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Fyi for those who think they know everything. Duplicolor engine block paint is the same material and product that they make nfl football helmets with. So ur telling me its unsafe? Duplicolor should be getting sued left and right then. They are the ones who recommended the project to me. They advised what chemicals to avoid that could compromise the shell and integrity.
I hate the colour of my helmet. I'd settle for just black, but I want it to be black and dark purple. Will sanding the helmet compromise structural integrity and make it unsafe in the event of an accident? The helmet is mostly black, can I just apply paint over it without having to sand it down?

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
They should.....
Mines usually toast by then anyway.....
Usually the insides start falling apart....
With a head like yours I'm surprised they last that long!! :p

·
Registered
9,088 Posts
I hate the colour of my helmet. I'd settle for just black, but I want it to be black and dark purple. Will sanding the helmet compromise structural integrity and make it unsafe in the event of an accident? The helmet is mostly black, can I just apply paint over it without having to sand it down?
Lightly sand n paint the dam thing n be done with it.....
It'l still be bettererer then none at all.....:thumb:
Geeeeeeee........
If i lived close i'd rip it ouuta ur hands n paint it myself....LOL
:eek:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
630 Posts
Lightly sand n paint the dam thing n be done with it.....
It'l still be bettererer then none at all.....:thumb:
Geeeeeeee........
If i lived close i'd rip it ouuta ur hands n paint it myself....LOL
:eek:
What grit (Think that's the right word) of sandpaper is needed for this?

·
1,458 Posts
njsdallas said:
Where is this anger directed sir? We are all friends/ fellow riders in here........

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No anger intended :) sorry if it read that way.

Just don't want someone to be discouraged from customizing their gear. If its done the right way, its awesome and unique.

You are going to want to us so low # grit i say 80 to get a rough scuff on the helmet. Then a 600-800 to smooth it out. All ur scuff marks may show through. So i did a third sand with 1000 grit. It was smooth like glass. I also used automotive grade sandpaper.

·
1,458 Posts
njsdallas said:
No anger intended :) sorry if it read that way.

Just don't want someone to be discouraged from customizing their gear. If its done the right way, its awesome and unique.

You are going to want to us so low # grit i say 80 to get a rough scuff on the helmet. Then a 600-800 to smooth it out. All ur scuff marks may show through. So i did a third sand with 1000 grit. It was smooth like glass. I also used automotive grade sandpaper.
Okay. And yes i agree. Low to high grit. Mask well and paint away!!!! Do it!!!!!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts