Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my rear Michelin Pilot Road 3 is getting thin, with 12,000 klicks on the meter
nothing wrong with that i guess... am going for the new Pilot Road 4
but... i noticed that the tire wear is uneven, more to the right side... why would that be?
driving here is on the left side of the road, so the wear could come from the crown of the road and the abrasive hot indonesian asphalt
now there is also an assymetrical feature on my ER-6F... the rear shock absorber... perhaps that could be it
have you noticed something similar on your bike?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
... i noticed that the tire wear is uneven, more to the right side... why would that be?
You stay leaned more and for a longer distance when making right turns than you do left turns. In the U.S. it is the opposite.

For you, right hand turns have a larger radius than left hand turns in left side driving countries, hence you ride farther (and likely faster and leaned over more) turning right than turning left with subsequent increased side band wear on the tire's right side. The right side of your tire has more miles on it (in some extreme cases, twice as many) than the left side of your tire. The sides of your tires only gets mileage when you are leaned in a turn.

The scuffing where your tire meets the pavement is what causes the uneven side wear to appear sooner or later and this scuffing is the only "force" that is capable of producing the wear that eventually becomes evident.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i usually change my tires before they get that thin
tropical downpours here, and you need all the profile you can get to keep you on the road
... so i never actually noticed this uneven wear, till this one happened
magical motorcycle world... there is always something new to learn :thumb:

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hi guys... need a bit of help here :confused:
the tire dealer has no stock of Pilot Road 4... so must go back to PR3
am running a PR3 180/55-17 right now, would like to try a 190/50-17
but... Amazon's tire fit check says the PR3 190/50-17 would not be suited for a 2012 ER6F
sounds strange?

·
Registered
9,088 Posts
hi guys... need a bit of help here :confused:
the tire dealer has no stock of Pilot Road 4... so must go back to PR3
am running a PR3 180/55-17 right now, would like to try a 190/50-17
but... Amazon's tire fit check says the PR3 190/50-17 would not be suited for a 2012 ER6F
sounds strange?
No idea, but how's the 180/55-17 work on ur ER6f...?
I myself have a 2012 Ninja 650 n would like to know about possible going with a bit bigger size, but.....
Don't want to buy tires just to find out if it will fit n feel ok....
I do know i don't have a lot of space near that chain now with stock...

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
... Amazon's tire fit check says the PR3 190/50-17 would not be suited for a 2012 ER6F sounds strange?
No, it's not strange. Unless you've upgraded your rear wheel, the stock rim size is 17 x 4.50 .

The 180/55/17 (width 7.48 ) & 190/50/17 (width 7.99) PR3 you want to put on the rim is designed for a 5.50-6.0 inch rim. Neither was designed to fit your bike. You would be pinching the sidewall if you install it on the stock rim. You also have a lot of unusable rubber on the sides.

As you pinch wider tires on a small rim the profile of the tire becomes distorted or more oval shaped than rounded. This may also account for the uneven tire wear. Michelins by design are already more oval shaped than most other tires.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the PR3 180/55-17 has a nice fit and works well... great stuff
and i get lots of comments from people who say it looks good...
having a big one :thumb: makes you an instant celebrity here... i live on an island you see :whistling:

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No, it's not strange. Unless you've upgraded your rear wheel, the stock rim size is 17 x 4.50 .

The 180/55/17 (width 7.48 ) & 190/50/17 (width 7.99) PR3 you want to put on the rim is designed for a 5.50-6.0 inch rim. Neither was designed to fit your bike. You would be pinching the sidewall if you install it on the stock rim. You also have a lot of unusable rubber on the sides.

As you pinch wider tires on a small rim the profile of the tire becomes distorted or more oval shaped than rounded. This may also account for the uneven tire wear. Michelins by design are already more oval shaped than most other tires.

thanks for this Blue Ghost
but i must say the 180/55 seems to work well... do you reckon the 190 would be going overboard?
am on the road all the time, no track here

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
thanks for this Blue Ghost
but i must say the 180/55 seems to work well... do you reckon the 190 would be going overboard?
am on the road all the time, no track here
Honestly a 160/60/17 would be a better fit. Since you have no track, you actually get a better ride and more even wear out of the tire. Although it's 0.71 less wide than your current tire, you won't be able to tell it just by looking at it. Your talking about 0.35 or 7/20th of an inch on each side of the tire, however I do understand the vanity thing. Just wear bigger shoes. :whistling:

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Honestly a 160/60/17 would be a better fit. Since you have no track, you actually get a better ride and more even wear out of the tire. Although it's 0.71 less wide than your current tire, you won't be able to tell it just by looking at it. Your talking about 0.35 or 7/20th of an inch on each side of the tire, however I do understand the vanity thing. Just wear bigger shoes. :whistling:
ah... vanity is a misleading factor of course...
it gets us to do stupid things... but isn't it an integral part of biker culture? :angel:

appreciate your advice... makes sense
need to talk to the tire shop... they are having a sale on PR3's, making room for the PR4

·
1,458 Posts
agreed the tire you have at a 180 may good compliments but seriously makes your ride different than design. I've seen a lot of 170 tires on that bike and some 160's too. The 170 is a great fit on the bike and the ride is better too. The 160 looks skinny and wouldn't be the look of go for but the ride would be too heavy and easier in turns. A 180 is the absolute most id go and that would only be if there were no 170's anywhere

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
agreed the tire you have at a 180 may good compliments but seriously makes your ride different than design. I've seen a lot of 170 tires on that bike and some 160's too. The 170 is a great fit on the bike and the ride is better too. The 160 looks skinny and wouldn't be the look of go for but the ride would be too heavy and easier in turns. A 180 is the absolute most id go and that would only be if there were no 170's anywhere
thanks for this byte
will look into the 170 as well... it may end up being the ideal compromise :thumb:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.