Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! I am new to the forum, and somewhat new to riding. Just have a quick question; I bought a Two Brothers M2 V.A.L.E. Exhaust slip-on for my 2009 650R. I had heard something somewhere claiming that if you modify your exhaust that you should get it re calibrated. Is this true?

·
Registered
125 Posts
It would improve the performance of the bike but is not necessary. You only have to do that for a full exhaust system.

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
Also, since it is fuel injected, it is not as drastic as placing a slip-on onto a carbed bike.

I have a Yoshi slipon on my 650R, and had no issues apart from the odd snap, crakle and pop from the exhaust when I let off the throttle.....but I kind of like that!

I have since added a Power Commander V, and that has all but removed the popping, while also freeing up a couple of horses.

You could get it dyno'ed and that will ensure you get the most out of the pipe, but I'm not sure what kind of additional cost would be involved.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Zandit said:
Also, since it is fuel injected, it is not as drastic as placing a slip-on onto a carbed bike.

I have a Yoshi slipon on my 650R, and had no issues apart from the odd snap, crakle and pop from the exhaust when I let off the throttle.....but I kind of like that!

I have since added a Power Commander V, and that has all but removed the popping, while also freeing up a couple of horses.

You could get it dyno'ed and that will ensure you get the most out of the pipe, but I'm not sure what kind of additional cost would be involved.
Yea, I have the same sounds on my 650r since I put my Two Brothers exhaust on. I don't have a power commander yet but it is definitely on my to buy list. How much power gain did you notice when you installed it?

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
My butt dyno reckons there is about 5 extra HP. Not a lot, but when you consider there is not a huge amount in the 650R in the first place, it is a good boost.
The map I am running has smoothed out a lot of the jerkiness that was present earlier, so I am very happy!

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
It was from another forum, a guy had a similar setup to me, and he posted it there for me to copy. He was also using the Autotune accessory, and as his map has been refined he has given me the updated map.
When you buy the PC, there are some preset maps already, so you could start with one of them.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi guys,
Question, would the power commander or power tune help eliminate the backfire. Only happens occasionally so it's not a big deal. Wouldn't mind the extra HP though.

Thanks for the info.

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
I will still occassionally get a backfire, so the basic answer is no, but it only seems to happen when I let off the throttle too quickly.
As mentioned the big improvements I found is smoothness to the throttle delivery. I have not tested it, but I think I have had a minor improvement in fuel economy which is strange since the map is richer across the board!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yea iv got a lil slip on an i get a lil crackle aswell but no problems, did you guys take out your scilencer out

·
Registered
245 Posts
Pat92 said:
Yea iv got a lil slip on an i get a lil crackle aswell but no problems, did you guys take out your scilencer out
I didn't. I didn't really like the change and sound and I wanted to make sure I still had enough back pressure so I didn't lose performance.

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
I started without the silencer, but it was too noisy. I inserted the silencer after a couple of weeks, and it has been there ever since.

I have recently removed the snorkals from the airbox, but I will be putting them back in soon. The engine sound is very droneing at highway speeds.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts