Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought an 08 with a busted up front blinker. Other side worked fine, the rear on the broken one's side would come on but not blink. Bought a brand new one, hooked it all up, it just comes on but won't blink, rear still does same. Should I assume I need a relay? Looked them up on various sites but could only find up to 08.....

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
i think it would be a resistor/relay issue...but im not great with the whole electrics bit. Spooph will see this thread soon and will no doubt be able to help :D

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Thanks Met.... :p

K, I need more info:

Stock turn signals?
Which parts did you buy and replace? The entire turn signal housing, or just a new bulb?
Both sides use the same relay, so if it blinks on one side, the relay is fine. Usually if the rear comes on, but the front doesn't, or vis-a-vis, it simply means the load isn't enough to trigger the relay, so it's an incomplete circuit, due to either a bad connection on the offending signal, or a bad bulb....

Gimme the info and let's figure this out... :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The new ones are aftermarket, I replaced both fronts. Whole blinker assemblies. Right sides work fine, Left sides just come on. Even before I got the new ones, the busted up assembly came on but didn't blink.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
So are the new turn signals LED's? Or regular incandescent bulbs? Still sounds like a bad connection to me. I'd check and re-check the wires. You sure you didn't pinch something somewhere?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The new ones on the front are LEDs, right side blinks, left side just comes on. but it was the same way with the old bulb style signals. Checked connections and wiring....

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
OK, so the right side front and rear blinks, and the left side rear comes on, and the left side front doesn't do anything. It had this same behavior when you had the old style bulb-type housings in there - this is the way you purchased it, yes?

Well, you can try swapping out the relay, but I still think it's a wiring problem. A new relay is about $10, so it shouldn't be that expensive of a test.

Have you tried swapping the new front LED turn signals left to right?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The left side front also comes on, just doesn't blink. I purchased it like this..... the guy I bought it from pulled it out of the garage for me to look at and didn't put the kickstand down fully, and it tipped over.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
oh, ok. This is why proper communication is so important....

So all 4 of the turn signals work, the left side just doesn't blink... shoot, I have no idea then. Try the relay. If that doesn't work, a shop would be your best bet...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If they all run off one relay, would a bad relay still blink one side? I just need to know where to find one via online, don't have time anytime soon to stop by a dealer and the sites I've checked only go up to 07 on the relays

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
It's strange that the right side is blinking, but both of the fronts are Led's, you should be getting the same issue on both sides.
I still agree with Spooph, get the relay changed out to a LED compatible one and see how it goes!

·
Registered
5,695 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
So you said the right side blinks but the left doesn't and the front once are the same. Check the left rear bulb if it has the same wattage as the Right rear bulb.If it has a lower wattage the left blinker will not blink as it use too low of the current.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So you said the right side blinks but the left doesn't and the front once are the same. Check the left rear bulb if it has the same wattage as the Right rear bulb.If it has a lower wattage the left blinker will not blink as it use too low of the current.
Right but I had the same problem with the stock ones when they were up front.

·
Registered
274 Posts
yeah.. so if one of the bulbs (either front or back) is bad, neither will blink.

also, check your connections. I have one right now that only blinks when i am moving (lol, cuz the wind pushes the blinker back enough that it makes contact correctly, but at a stop, the blinker will just light up and stay lit)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, I'm about done messing with this pile of garbage. Picked up an LED relay, wired it in, signals still stay solid. So what now? Buy LEDs for the back? Then try some resistors? Then call Doc Brown to rebuild the flux capacitor? All I wanted was some working effing turn signals. Looks like I'll just order some stock ones and go back to that, and if that doesn't work, this scooter's goin in the dumpster.

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
Hmmm, The relay should have just been a plug in setup directly replacing the stock one under the cover on the left hand side of the bike.

I got nuthin else for you sorry!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.