Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a heads up, the rest of that site is pretty much NSFW. I haven't read the whole thread, just paroozed, but you should be able to find cursing, crude references and general bashing of people and their ideas. lol ::) Pirate4x4 does have some fantastically skilled users though, as demonstrated by this guy. There have been multiple bike build-threads on that off-road specific site.

http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=852603

I know it's not Ninja related, but with the amount of people on this board who enjoy getting out on two-wheels no matter who they're made by or why, I figured most of the people here would like to see this!

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
that is freakin sweet! I wonder if I could a ninja into a turbo diesel, with new steel heads, stainless steel valves, and steel leaves. What you think Travisty? A Ninja that red-lines at 6,000rpm's and has some ungodly amount of torque for a 250? :D

·
Registered
4,884 Posts
spooph said:
that is freakin sweet! I wonder if I could a ninja into a turbo diesel, with new steel heads, stainless steel valves, and steel leaves. What you think Travisty? A Ninja that red-lines at 6,000rpm's and has some ungodly amount of torque for a 250? :D
hmmmmm Gosh I need more money! That would bee freaking sick to do!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
spooph said:
I think a diesel/turbo diesel 250 would be awesome. Can you imagine the torque?! With as light as this little machine is it would be a wheelie monster! I'd love to ride it! :)

Felix: Imagine how that thing would pull out of the corners... I think being able to keep the front end planted coming out of a turn would become an issue real quick. The surprised faces of the people you go rocketing away from at lights would be worth it as well, especially since you'd still be on your "250".

Personally, I love the soot, the sound and the fact that it's so unique.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I imagine a stock 250, with it's 13,000 rpm redline, would be about 3X quicker, out of the corner.

On the other hand... A turbocharged 250R, with about 45 horsepower, would be a lot of fun!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
KURT said:
I imagine a stock 250, with it's 13,000 rpm redline, would be about 3X quicker, out of the corner.

On the other hand... A turbocharged 250R, with about 45 horsepower, would be a lot of fun!
You're one of those guys that thinks RPM is the end-all-be-all to power, huh? :) I'm sorry, but I'm of the opinion that your stock 250's power ratings of 27hp and 13ft/lbs would get raped by a 20hp/45 ft lb turbo diesel.

Horsepower is simply a byproduct of torque. It's a number derived from a mathematical equation, using torque and RPM numbers, relatively.. I'll see if I can find a link to explain.

Torque is the ability to do work, horsepower is how quickly that work can be done. So, if you have the ability to do work (move your weight) more easily, it's going to be able to do it more quickly.

http://www.howstuffworks.com/question622.htm

Edit: I thought I remembered my 250 being able to rev to like 16k? Or has it been that long since I've been on one? lol.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Travisty said:
You're one of those guys that thinks RPM is the end-all-be-all to power, huh? :) I'm sorry, but I'm of the opinion that your stock 250's power ratings of 27hp and 13ft/lbs would get raped by a 20hp/45 ft lb turbo diesel.

Horsepower is simply a byproduct of torque. It's a number derived from a mathematical equation, using torque and RPM numbers, relatively.. I'll see if I can find a link to explain.

Torque is the ability to do work, horsepower is how quickly that work can be done. So, if you have the ability to do work (move your weight) more easily, it's going to be able to do it more quickly.

http://www.howstuffworks.com/question622.htm

Edit: I thought I remembered my 250 being able to rev to like 16k? Or has it been that long since I've been on one? lol.
I said REDLINE, not Rev...

And I drive Semi's all day, for a living. 950 ft lbs of torque.

I think I know what torque is...

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
the main issue with torque is that it breaks things.... Travisty, I agree with you that a 20hp 45ftlb 250 would be sweet, but I think all the internals would have to be beefed up so much it might add significant weight... Obviously I don't know, I haven't done it, but I do know between a diesel and gasser of equivalent displacement, the diesel will be heavier..... However, the gains would outweight the extra weight (I"m sure on a 250 it wouldn't be significant)....

But even with a turbo, sticking with the gas engine of the 250R, this is a torque based motor, not an HP based motor. Sure it has more HP than torque, but it's a parallel twin with a longer stroke than a bore. All the inherent characteristics point to it being a torque motor... The problem, it's a bitch to tune for torque. HP is so much easier. Open up the airways, dump in as much fuel, and go! So with a turbo, some serious simulation software and time/money, even running gas this little engine could produce some serious torque, and be a serious hoot!

But rather, this is why the ZX-2R is such a cool little bike... 45hp, 9ftlbs.... Power is non-existent below 16K. Redline 21K. Because everything is nice, small, and light.

I think internals and transmission (clutch?) strain would be the biggest hurtle to overcome with the 250R. It would most certainly be an exceedingly interesting piece of engineering....

I mean, just ride a Buell and a ZX-10R back to back.... I personally like the Buell. It's a dog performance wise, but most of it's power/torque is usable everywhere, no matter where the needle sits on the tack.... just an example..

·
The Man, The Mystery, The Itch.
4,853 Posts
Why the hell does the Buell get such a bad rep? I've not heard one complaint about that bike from any owner i've ever run into, and I live in the Motorcycle capitol!!! I think they're sick tbh. I would not mind having one.

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
One of the guys I ride with has a Buell, and he "loves" it, maybe too much!!!! Thing vibrates like crazy and if you twist the throttle when its on its stand it moves across the floor!!! Crazy stuff!

·
Registered
726 Posts
Felix said:
Wonder what the milage would be on a ZR250 TD :p

Felix
Mileage would be great! Considering that the little diesel motor would probably have to be governed way back, to keep the turbo spooled, but still running at an RPM that gives maximum output... It may get 120 MPG, but may never see 3000 rpm.

Maybe a gas 250 Turbo would need serious mods, to make it survive...heavier clutch, increased oil capacity, and stronger pistons, crank and connecting rods.
But there's probably someone out there, doing it now, just with a low-output turbo, and software to keep the boost above 8K. Increasing the volumetric efficiency at high RPM, even modestly, can produce strong gains in horsepower. (Thats what ram-air is alll about.)

·
The Man, The Mystery, The Itch.
4,853 Posts
KURT said:
Maybe a gas 250 Turbo would need serious mods, to make it survive...heavier clutch, increased oil capacity, and stronger pistons, crank and connecting rods.
But there's probably someone out there, doing it now, just with a low-output turbo, and software to keep the boost above 8K. Increasing the volumetric efficiency at high RPM, even modestly, can produce strong gains in horsepower. (Thats what ram-air is alll about.)
Poetry.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.