Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm Ashley from South Africa and I recently bought a 2010 Ninja 250R, I love the bike but I need more Top Speed. I've tried changing the rear sprocket to 38T then the 41T but it lowers the RPM but then the bike just doesn't have enough torque to go past 180Km/h, so I'm looking for some mods to increase my Top Speed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Racer X, here in South Africa we have the FI 250R no Carbs, I have a CPR slip on exhaust and a K&N filter which improved the responsiveness but no more Power. I will try to get those JE pistons here but I really don't think I will get them in South Africa.

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
Welcome Ashley, good to have you here!
Since you have the FI model, try getting yourself a Power Commander. This will give you a couple of extra HP, plus if it is tuned properly then it will also make the bike run smoother.
This may require putting the bike on a Dyno and having a new fuel map designed, but will be the best way to increase the power without having to do major engine mods.
After the PC, it starts getting bloody expensive!!

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
The easiest and one of the cheapest ways to go faster on a bike im sad to say....is to simply buy a bigger displacement bike.

I owned an FI ninja and could get 110mph on the clock (so about 100mph real), which for a 250 is by far enough.

if you want to go faster, theres a world of other bikes out there.

Welcome to the forum!

Post pics ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice guys, Metbandit 1 I do plan on getting the ZX10R in about a year but I want to keep my 250R as well because I use it to commute to work and it will be cheaper to maintain so I don't want to spend too much of money on the 250R but I also need to pick up the top end.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Hey Ashley!
Where in SA are you located? I emigrated with the family in 1996 from Pretoria, so just curious. Yes, I do speak Afrikaans, but don't write it very well... :p

Why do you want more power from the 250? To keep up with riding buddies? Racing?

You can get as much power out of the 250 as you have money for, so the first thing you have to ask yourself is how much you want to spend. You can get quite a bit of power through the J&E high-comp pistons and by re-doing the ignition map. I'm not familiar with the FI ninja, but I do know the BRT-TIS (I think) is a programmable ignition module, which you could use to tune the ignition timing a bit, if the FI ninja has a separate ignition module from the ECU. If it's build into the ECU, you'll either have to figure out if the stock ECU is flash-able (retunable), or if you have to get an ignition modifier (like the power commander is a fuel map modifier). It all comes down to price in the end....

·
Registered
44 Posts
Having the cylinder head ported, changing the induction system, the right choice for a full perfrormance exhaust system, raising the compression, rebore to increase engien capacity with larger pistons, use of a PowerCommander ecu, maybe beefing up other engine internals.

But putting the bike on a dyno/rolling road with someone who knows how to set the fuelling up correctly is an absolute must to get what you want and avoid any expensive melt downs.:thumb:

How much power you want depends on how deep your wallet goes.

............and welcome to the site !

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey Spooph, I live in Roodeport, Gauteng. Basically I want more top speed because I would like to keep up with all the fast cars and bikes that are on the roads here in Gauteng. I don't want to spend too much on up grading the bike when I am planing on buying a ZX10R late next year and them all the money I spend on the 250R would be a waist however I do have the dealership looking into the costs of a Power Commander for the 250R.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
If you are looking for a little more spped and power out of the 250 Ninja for as little money as possible, then the Leo Vince full exhaust system and ECU is specifically designed for the FI 250 Ninja. This is stock equipment for the WSBK European Jr. Cup racers. Because it is used widely in Europe you will better available to you. However I still would not expect to much more top speed without the proper gearing. Keep in mind the gain in top speed will still come at the top of the rpm range. [url]http://www.leovince.com/en/catalog-kawasaki/fast_injection_ninja_250_r_i_e_2008_2009/12087[/URL]
[url]http://www.leovince.com/en/search.php?marca=KAWASAKI&modello=NINJA%20250%20R%20i.e.%20%282008/2011%29&parole_chiave=[/URL]

Like it has been suggested, if blazing fast speed and torque is a must have for you, then the 250 Ninja is not the bike for you. The 250 Ninja has plenty power if you ride it right. Spend a little time training on it, if you can ride it to it's limits, (straights, curves, etc) then an upgrade is definitely in order. For most 110 mph is plenty enough to get one in trouble.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.