Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last weekend I put some fuel stabilizer in my tank I had this idea the tank was full, but it was actually only about half. So I put in the correct amount of stabilizer for a full tank, into a half tank. Ran it for a few minutes, and then oddly coming off the choke the idle wanted to stay high, the range of 3000. I thought strange, so I hopped on and drove it to the gas station to correct the fuel mix issue. Seems that this all made no difference.
On my drive home I also managed to have the transmission pop out of sixth gear (shifter up) into a non-gear/pseudo neutral. Slowing down to a stop (engine screaming at about 3500rpm) I just pushed it back down to first with a crunch, then drove on.
has any of this strange shit happened to anyone before? I'm new to bikes.

2010 Ninja 250, Yoshi exhaust.

· Registered
1,480 Posts
Did you attempt to turn the idle speed down after you slowed down to a stop? Sounds like either your choke is tuck or your engine idle speed was incorrect to begin with.

Other than your exhaust, what other mods have you done to the intake?

· Registered
674 Posts
Some odd stuff there, but I don't think it's related to the Stabil.

If you think it's safe to ride, I'd ride some more and see how it runs after a while. I would expect too much Stabil to give you a lower idle - not a high one. You could drain the floatbowls before going out if you though there was extra Stabil sitting in there.

There's something else going on. As Blue noted - check the choke and possibly make some adjustments.

Definitely solve the high idle problem, as dropping it into 1st gear at 3500 RPMs while stopped is too hard on the trans.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no intake mods that I know of, I actually haven't had the fairing off. Stuck choke sounds most likely to me in fact. is this common? I only rode it about 2 km for fuel and back. Plus after the upshift issue I basically let her "putter" home. It seems safe to ride, but since I was putting the stabil in to park it due to weather, taking it for an extended ride is kinda out of the question.

I couldn't see how stabil could affect it, but literally that's the only thing that changed between 2 weeks ago when I was riding it almost every other day, and then last Friday when I was getting it ready to be parked.

I didn't play with the idle speed at all, but that would have been my first attempt had someone not mentioned choke. It'll be a few days before I get a chance to fire it up again, was gonna do the oil this weekend and say goodbye till spring.

· Registered
674 Posts
no intake mods that I know of, I actually haven't had the fairing off. Stuck choke sounds most likely to me in fact. is this common? I only rode it about 2 km for fuel and back. Plus after the upshift issue I basically let her "putter" home. It seems safe to ride, but since I was putting the stabil in to park it due to weather, taking it for an extended ride is kinda out of the question.

I couldn't see how stabil could affect it, but literally that's the only thing that changed between 2 weeks ago when I was riding it almost every other day, and then last Friday when I was getting it ready to be parked.

I didn't play with the idle speed at all, but that would have been my first attempt had someone not mentioned choke. It'll be a few days before I get a chance to fire it up again, was gonna do the oil this weekend and say goodbye till spring.
I would't park it until you have it running properly. Riding with Stabil in the gas isn't a problem - in fact it's a real good idea. I add it about a month or so before I plan to store, and ride as usual. Topping the tank and adding additional stabilizer if needed (and changing the oil) when it's time to store.

When you are ready to park it, be sure to drain the floatbowls completely to guarantee that you won't get any deposits during storage.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would't park it until you have it running properly. Riding with Stabil in the gas isn't a problem - in fact it's a real good idea. I add it about a month or so before I plan to store, and ride as usual. Topping the tank and adding additional stabilizer if needed (and changing the oil) when it's time to store.

When you are ready to park it, be sure to drain the floatbowls completely to guarantee that you won't get any deposits during storage.
Unless I plan to put skiis on it its pretty much parked. I could do ultraslow laps inside the garage if I spent a few days cleaning it out.

On the floatbowls, I have been told drain them, don't drain them.
The best I can gather from everyone that has told me one way or the other (with reasons) is
1. If you are storing for more than 6 months, Drain the tank, Drain the float bowls.
2. If you are storing for 2-6 months, Add fuel stabilizer to fresh gas, run for 5 minutes, then leave it with fuel in the system to protect the gaskets from drying out.

I will look into the choke on the weekend, if that comes up empty i'll see if I can adjust the idle speed down, then change the oil. Regardless its time to change the oil. The riding season here is over.

· Registered
674 Posts
Unless I plan to put skiis on it its pretty much parked. I could do ultraslow laps inside the garage if I spent a few days cleaning it out.

On the floatbowls, I have been told drain them, don't drain them.
The best I can gather from everyone that has told me one way or the other (with reasons) is
1. If you are storing for more than 6 months, Drain the tank, Drain the float bowls.
2. If you are storing for 2-6 months, Add fuel stabilizer to fresh gas, run for 5 minutes, then leave it with fuel in the system to protect the gaskets from drying out.

I will look into the choke on the weekend, if that comes up empty i'll see if I can adjust the idle speed down, then change the oil. Regardless its time to change the oil. The riding season here is over.
As far as the fuel goes - a steel tank should always be stored full unless you were to remove it and try to coat the inside with oil, which would be a pain. Properly treated gas in a full sealed container will be usable for years.

Always drain the float bowls. Having fuel in there does no good whatsoever. That's the place where the fuel will go bad the fastest and do the most damage - even if it's treated.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well the snow melted and I didn't get around to changing the oil yet so I said screw it.

Confirmed stuck choke. Playing with my choke abit I think come spring i'll have to take it apart and either lube/replace the cable, or figure out where its hanging up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.