Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put the bike away for the season today. It is an 09 250R with no mods - bone stock - and 4700 kms on it. I did everything just fine but a few things I can't understand (I'm not a mechanic but I try to do all simple work myself). Questions:

1. Did I put too much fogging oil in cylinders? A few minutes after I finished spraying, the oil leaked out of the exhaust header manifold or out of two bored holes underneath the exhaust header manifold. Anything to worry about?

2. What are those two bored holes underneath the exhaust header manifold for?

3. Two friends (mechanics) said that with the spark plugs out, I had to manually crank the engine to spread the fogging oil. They said I just had to put it in gear and turn the back wheel with the bike on a lift. The wheel WOULD NOT TURN even though the plugs were out. They could not believe this. Anyone know why?

??? ???

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
1.) There is no such thing as too much oil... Your bike will just be belching more smoke in the spring time. And next year you'll know to use less... :p

2.) Pics? I think they are drains going to the spark plug holes, um how do I describe this. Your spark plugs go down deep into the heads right? And those holes/tubes they fit down might get water in, and those holes are there to drain them so they don't corrode and cause further damage. I've never looked carefully enough on my bike to see them, but I'll look next time...

3.) I agree with the mechanics. Very weird that the wheel would not turn. These seem silly, but I must ask. The rear wheel was off the ground, right? Like you were using a rear stand. The wheel would turn with the bike in neutral? If not, check your rear brake.

Something just hit me, did you try it in second gear? or a higher gear? Because first is super short, as I"m sure you know, and that might be too much mechanical advantage, coming from the wheel side to spin the engine. Try it in a higher gear, which will give you a ratio closer to 1:1 = what you're looking for when doing this. Have you changed the final drive gear ratio?

If it's not the brake, and it's not the gears, you're screwed buddy, sorry to say. Something in your engine aint right...

Keep us post, post a pic, and ask more q's.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, that's really helpful spooph.

I think you are totally right re holes are for draining water. See photos attached.

The rear wheel was off the ground, raise by a stand - come on dude - lol. The tranny is not siezed and nor is the engine. I rode it minutes before doing this work.

I tried putting it in a higher gear but with the positive neutral finder, it wouldn't come out of neutral. Is there a way to do that?

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh, it is not the brake. The wheel turned fine in neutral. However, when I pulled in the clutch while it was in first, it was a lot harder to turn than when it was in neutral???!!! The plot thickens...

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
sweet, thanks for the pic. Yes, I believe those to be drain holes. Again, I'll check my bike tomorrow and get back to you.

I know it was a silly question about the bike being a stand, but ya know, as a tech support agent, the first thing you ask somebody is "is the computer plugged in", then "Is the power switch turned on".... Force of habit really... NO offense intended...

AND, ah ha! It's the gear ratio.... If it spin easily in neutral, there is no issue with the wheel, clutch or transmission. On a bike, the clutch is NEVER completely disengaged... Just enough for us humans not to notice... :p So if it's in first, with the clutch pulled, and it DOES spin, we know that everything is still working as it should, you're just fighting the mechanics of the transmission...

To bump it up in gear without starting the bike:

click it into neutral and spin the wheel, fairly fast, not blindingly fast. then just click it into second (don't bother with the clutch). Revs are slow enough it's not going to damage anything. From there you should be able to keep spinning it and clicking it into higher gears... Unless second is tall enough to make happen what you're wanting to happen....

Keep 'em coming.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
spooph, you de man!!!

You've put my mind at ease.

Do let me know what you think after you check your bike tomorrow.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Thanks Joe!

So General, I'm taking that as if I was right, and now the engine turns with the sparks out?

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
it's a long lasting, low viscosity oil used to lubricate the TOP of your cylinders, and the combustion chamber, when an engine is going to be dormant for a long time... It keeps moisture and corrosion to a minimum.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
spooph, I wish I could answer definitively, but the bike is tucked away in the corner of my garage with cover on, fairing on, and sparks on.

It has to be the gear. What else could it be? I ain't gonna be able to try until next year man. As far as I'm concerned, you're dead right. I wanted to switch to a higher gear when I was in th emiddle of it but as I said, I couldn't thwart that #@!#@!# positive neutral finder.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
I hear ya, next year come around, and you figure it out, please let me know.... I guess a lot, and I'm not always right, so I just like to know, ya know?

Good luck either way.

·
Registered
4,884 Posts
spooph said:
it's a long lasting, low viscosity oil used to lubricate the TOP of your cylinders, and the combustion chamber, when an engine is going to be dormant for a long time... It keeps moisture and corrosion to a minimum.
ok
kenneth said:
He said fogging oil not flogging oil. Delta
I said fogging oil!

·
Registered
167 Posts
I know said "So umm what is fogging oil?? Delta hides behind the couch!"
as if you were scared and my joke was ..."He said fogging oil not flogging oil. Delta"
as in
flogging 1 a : to beat with or as if with a rod or whip b : to criticize harshly.

which should have been followed by.... Ha Ha lol

joke FAIL!!! :mad:

·
Registered
4,884 Posts
kenneth said:
I know said "So umm what is fogging oil?? Delta hides behind the couch!"
as if you were scared and my joke was ..."He said fogging oil not flogging oil. Delta"
as in
flogging 1 a : to beat with or as if with a rod or whip b : to criticize harshly.

which should have been followed by.... Ha Ha lol

joke FAIL!!! :mad:
ROFLMAO!!

See now if you didn't explain the joke I would have probably thought you were an ass.

We are all good!

·
Registered
16 Posts
When I fog a motor remove air cleaner need can wd-40 with tube start bike let idle spray til it starts to smoke kill engine reinstall filter and find plastic plug and insert in the end of muffler and top off the fuel tank

1 - 20 of 21 Posts