Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Sorry for the silly question, but are you centered when you ride? Or do you lean one way or the other? Is it worn evenly, or is it choppy? If it's choppy it's a balance suspension prob. If it's even, do you take a lot of left turns? Or like ratty said ... You more confident on the left?

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have a question about wearing... how long do the tires last? how should I mesure how much thread is good? as I got 9000 miles on my bike and it has stock tires so I think maybe I should already replace them? can anybody explain me here?

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
I put 8,000 miles on my rear tire before it was bald, and 12,000 on my front before it was bald. I also rode both my tires beyond factory specs, which I believe to 1mm of tread? Prolly more, but what I know is that your tires have wear bars.

Wear bars are cast into the tire, as part of the tire. They are little bridges between the treads, that show once you wear tire down to a certain point. They indicate that you have to buy a new tire. I think some of mine are showing again, and will try and take pictures this weekend...

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I'm just over 11,000 kms now (about 7000 miles) and my back tread is looking a little worn out. For those of you who have replaced your tires due to wear, does that sound about right? Seems to fit what Spooph says above.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Crap. That's not very far. I know lots of peeps here have gone in for other tires out of preference or performance choices. Is there any point in getting factory skins again? Anyone know if they are worth the price? Or should I be seeking name brand aftermarket tires for sure?

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
BlackBoar said:
Crap. That's not very far. I know lots of peeps here have gone in for other tires out of preference or performance choices. Is there any point in getting factory skins again? Anyone know if they are worth the price? Or should I be seeking name brand aftermarket tires for sure?
What Brand of OEM tires do you have? If you have the IRC's, I would get something else. If you are looking to save a few bucks stay with the stock brand. There are some better tires out there, you might have to search around for the best deal (price and performance).

Here are some choices you have;
http://www.newninja.com/general-tech/list-of-available-tires-for-the-ninja-250r/

Here is what I did when I changed tires.
http://www.newninja.com/news-4/new-rubber-for-my-ride!/

·
Registered
53 Posts
If u stick with the stock sizes choices r somewhat limited. I changed my rear tire at 8500 miles. I stuck with the IRC's bc they have excellent all-round grip. Even in the rain. They are kind of a hard compound, but u also get decent mileage out of them. Plus, my new rear was only $85 US with shipping. I was looking at the Avon Roadriders. Seemed like decent tires, but the cheapest I could find them was like $170 for the rear and 150 for the front. I try to ride every day of the year. So, if I can get good mileage, grip, low cost out of the stock tires I'll stick with them. To each his own, I guess.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I must be much harder on the front brake, than I am on the throttle, 'cause I wore out my front tire in about 14,000 miles, but the rear is still going strong at 18K. (650R)

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Thanks ******, sounds right. I have not priced the stock tires here yet. Bike goes in for the 12,000 kms service in a few weeks and I'll look at some options then.

Blue Ghost, yeah I have the IRC tires.

I was looking at your very long list of aftermarket tires on Delta's Aftermarter Parts Post. Just one question, I know the info is on here because I've read it many times before, but with so much debate I can never remember the right answer: A 150 rear tire fits on the stock rim and within the stock swing arm? And, are there problems/risks with the larger tire?

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
BlackBoar said:
.... A 150 rear tire fits on the stock rim and within the stock swing arm? And, are there problems/risks with the larger tire?
A 150mm tire will fit on the Ninja rim and clear the swing arm. However keep in mind not all tires in a size range have the same dimensions. In other words not all tires fit the same. Also bigger is not always better. My recommendation is always check with the manufacturer's recommendations as to tire and rim fit. It is possible to get a 130 size tire that is a half inch wider than the stock IRC tire. The main problem with putting a wider tire on a narrow rim, is the area of the tire that touches the road (contact patch) is always going to be that same. So you can put a 6 inch wide tire on a 3.75 inch wide rim but approx 3.5 inches of the tire touches the road most of the time.
This is an article of a test done on some popular 130mm tires. It may help a little.
http://issuu.com/motorcyclenews/docs/bikedec08

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.