Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it's about time that i get a new front tire, but I think i wanna replace both of em. I'm wondering... should I buy the tools and do it myself, or should I pay the dealer ass loads of money to do it?

With tires being the most important thing you can put on your bike, i'm afraid to mess something up, but i would assume that after doing it for the first time it would be a piece of cake.

To my understanding, the list of things i will need (correct me if i'm wrong):

rim protectors
dyna beads (what should i do with the old balancing weights on my tires?)
tire iron(s)?
air pump (i'm using a bicycle tire pump)
windex or something to make the job easier

Also, if you see this thread, could you link that tire post you made ages ago blue ghost? I'm trying to decide what tires to order

· Registered
1,480 Posts
Tires on the Ninja 250 can be a pain to install depending on the tire. Without a few key tools it can be difficult. If you plan on changing more tires yourself in the future and looking to save money, invest in a good tire changer that comes with everything you'll need and more.

Bite the bullet and let the dealer install the tires for you, unless you're wanting to learn the hard way. $50-$60 bucks a set is an average rate if you bring them the tires off the bike.

I changed my tires before with a tire changer and it was still a little difficult but so much easier than if I didn't have it available to me.

You will definitely need an air compressor, something to break the tire bead (c-clamp or similar) and some rim lube. Bias-ply tire beads can be real tight. Skip the dyna-beads and get a static tire balancer and weights.

List Of Available Tires for the Ninja 250r

· Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
You've convinced me to take em to the dealer - whether that be intact with the bike or just the wheels i haven't decided yet because i live in a condominium and i'm not so sure it would be a good idea to leave the bike sitting on stands.

But i'm curious... what do you mean by the hard way? are you implying that i might break something? ruin the tire? or just have a bad time doing it.

Also, why no dyna beads? It seems like the easiest way to deal with tire balancing, and i imagine that they balance the tires better at extremely high speeds

OH.. and something i've been meaning to ask for a long time is whether the dealer will install a fatter tire on the back wheel... or do you have to buy a whole new wheel to do that. some post i've read implies that wider tires are interchangeable with thinner ones. Hell... i haven't even looked up what size comes standard on the 250 yet.

· Registered
245 Posts
You've convinced me to take em to the dealer - whether that be intact with the bike or just the wheels i haven't decided yet because i live in a condominium and i'm not so sure it would be a good idea to leave the bike sitting on stands. But i'm curious... what do you mean by the hard way? are you implying that i might break something? ruin the tire? or just have a bad time doing it. Also, why no dyna beads? It seems like the easiest way to deal with tire balancing, and i imagine that they balance the tires better at extremely high speeds OH.. and something i've been meaning to ask for a long time is whether the dealer will install a fatter tire on the back wheel... or do you have to buy a whole new wheel to do that. some post i've read implies that wider tires are interchangeable with thinner ones. Hell... i haven't even looked up what size comes standard on the 250 yet.
He is probably just advising you to take it to a dealer just because it's a pain in the rear if you have never done it before. Especially when changing the front and the rear. I always have House of Kawasaki recycle my old tires then balance my new ones but I take them on and off the bike myself. I simply don't have the equipment to do it all. Also, the dealer won't apply a wider tire not because of rules or regulations but simply because it wouldn't hold a seal because your rim isn't wide enough. You would have to buy a wider wheel in order to get a wider tire. Also keep in mind that the tire and wheel has to be able to fit in between your swing arms without rubbing.

· Registered
9,088 Posts
I do my own tires.
I bought good plastic handled 12" irons n have 3.
I bought the rip protectors.....4...good ones.
I use counteract balance beads...n....yes remove old weights.
Put these in the tire be4 u totally mount them on rim.
Fck the trying to get them in the stem....
U'll hang urself doing that.
I have no vibrations at high speeds n tires last longer.
I have an air compressor n u will need one to seat ur tires.
U will also need the blowing attachment to bang air in to start that.
U don't need a big expensive compressor.
Wallmart sells small tank style ones.
I use dish soap sparingly on the tires 4 lube.
Haven't had one rear spin yet on the rim, but i only have a 650...
Spin as in slip on the rim.

Utube has many good vids on how tires are done.
U need to be carefull of ur rotors. I used 4 by 4's and make a square for the rotors to fit down in keeping them off the floor as i work.

Tires are a easy thing for u to save $$$ on.
I buy mine online n usually find them half the coast at a dealer.
Buy them at online bike shops n not ebay.
U don't want old tires.

· Registered
1,480 Posts
You've convinced me to take em to the dealer - whether that be intact with the bike or just the wheels i haven't decided yet because i live in a condominium and i'm not so sure it would be a good idea to leave the bike sitting on stands.
Not a good idea just to leave the bike on stands out in the open unattended.

But i'm curious... what do you mean by the hard way? are you implying that i might break something? ruin the tire? or just have a bad time doing it.
The hard way is doing it without the help of someone who's done it before to guide you and give you tips and a little manual help. Videos are good, hands on is better. Will you break something? Probably not, but if done wrong with cheap stuff, you will definitely scratch something. Bias Ply tire beads are really stiff compared to radial tires, so a little extra muscle and extra hand may be needed (especially if doing a wider tire on a narrow rim).

Also, why no dyna beads? It seems like the easiest way to deal with tire balancing, and i imagine that they balance the tires better at extremely high speeds
Beads work for some, not so much for others. The majority of 250 Ninja riders don't use them. If you put too many they are a pain to remove, if you don't put enough, they are a pain to put in.

OH.. and something i've been meaning to ask for a long time is whether the dealer will install a fatter tire on the back wheel... or do you have to buy a whole new wheel to do that. some post i've read implies that wider tires are interchangeable with thinner ones. Hell... i haven't even looked up what size comes standard on the 250 yet.
.....Also, the dealer won't apply a wider tire not because of rules or regulations but simply because it wouldn't hold a seal because your rim isn't wide enough. You would have to buy a wider wheel in order to get a wider tire.
It depends on the dealer. Some will advise against bigger than stock sizes, others will slap on whatever you bring. It has been proven (most times without modification) that the stock rim can accommodate a 150/70/17 or 150/60/17 rear (in certain tire brands) and a 120/60/17 & 120/70/17 (certain brands) front. You have to be careful with going too big or wide due to clearance issues (both front and back). Getting the bead to seat should not be a problem if the rim and tires are both fine and the tech knows what the hell he is doing. Going from the stock 130 to a 140 is not a big deal.

I have a 120/70/17 front and a 140/70/17 rear. I would not recommend any size bigger than these on the stock rims.

American Motorcycle Tire has some of the best tire prices and delivery around.

The stock tire sizes are 110/70/17 front and 130/70/17 rear.

· Registered
9,088 Posts
About what i paid at another site with free shipping...
I do shop around....
and i bookmarked that site for future reference....

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Ya gotta shop arond n do what u can to save $$$ these days.....:dance:

1,465 Posts
About what i paid at another site with free shipping... I do shop around.... and i bookmarked that site for future reference.... :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: Ya gotta shop arond n do what u can to save $$$ these days.....:dance:
i paid 148.00 for mine at cycle gear for the 180/70/55 rear and 141.00 for the front. Both tired mounted and balanced for 35.00 bucks. Cycle gear always beats prices for me without a hassle

· Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think i've decided on the tires that I want to give a try. Everyone seems to have a hard-on for the michelins in the reviews, so i figure i might as well experience the magic

Michelin Pilot Street Radial Rear Tires - RevZilla
Michelin Pilot Road 3 Front Tires - RevZilla

someone tell me if i've got this right.. they're both radial, so they're compatible with each other. Also, i'm not brand mixing.. which isn't a total no-no, but from what i've been told is frowned upon. And these come in the stock sizes, so the dealer won't have a problem with putting them on - correct?

ALSO -.. any idea how much tread life i've got left on my tires? i'm at 8.5k miles on my 250 and the front tire doesn't touch lincoln's hair when i stick a penny in it (replaced the back tire a while back due to nail)

side note- god damn they charge a lot to change tires... 95 for back and 85 for front. fml

· Registered
1,480 Posts
....someone tell me if i've got this right.. they're both radial, so they're compatible with each other. Also, i'm not brand mixing.. which isn't a total no-no, but from what i've been told is frowned upon. And these come in the stock sizes, so the dealer won't have a problem with putting them on - correct?
One tire is a Z rated and the other is H rated (two different compounds).
Get a set of Pilot Streets. No need of spending extra money on rubber when you don't have too.

As far as how much life you have left on your existing tires, IDK...it's going to depend on how you ride. All tires are different.

$85 & $95 to mount tires on a Ninja 250 is a straight up rip off. :mad:

· Registered
9,088 Posts
I think i've decided on the tires that I want to give a try. Everyone seems to have a hard-on for the michelins in the reviews, so i figure i might as well experience the magic

Michelin Pilot Street Radial Rear Tires - RevZilla
Michelin Pilot Road 3 Front Tires - RevZilla

someone tell me if i've got this right.. they're both radial, so they're compatible with each other. Also, i'm not brand mixing.. which isn't a total no-no, but from what i've been told is frowned upon. And these come in the stock sizes, so the dealer won't have a problem with putting them on - correct?

ALSO -.. any idea how much tread life i've got left on my tires? i'm at 8.5k miles on my 250 and the front tire doesn't touch lincoln's hair when i stick a penny in it (replaced the back tire a while back due to nail)

side note- god damn they charge a lot to change tires... 95 for back and 85 for front. fml
That's why i bought tools to change my own tires......:thumb:
Depends how ur gunna drive to how far u let ur tires wear down.....
Gunna drive like a nut.....well change be4 they are about bald anyway....:dance:
Gunna drive it like a cruiser n u can go just a bit longer....:whistling:

I don't see any reason them 2 tires wont work fine 2gether....
I prefer pilot roads 3's front n rear together, but i realize there are sizing issues at times with certain bike....:eek:

My new road 3.... 4 the rear just came in yesterday....:thumb:

· Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i actually found someone who will likely help me change the tires :D.. he has a balancer and everything and 3 bikes to boot (including a 250r for his wife)

i think i'm in good hands.. assuming he pulls through

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.