Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
at 10,000 miles, your clutch may be smoked. I blame it on someone talking me in to doing a burnout. They're stupid. Waste of expensive tire and clutch. Shop quoted me $225. Parts from the garage 136. From local dealer 104. Online with shipping $95. Plus you have to drain the oil so add up the oil and filter. I'm not sure if anyone else has had to change a clutch, but I'm planning on braving the task complete with video and write-up. (the video is for me so that I remember what it looks like when I put it back together.
Here is the cheapest I've found from www.cheapcycleparts.comhttp://

Delete Product Name Options Qty Price Amount
13089-0021 -PLATE-CLUTCH Kawasaki 4 $5.84 $23.36
13088-0039 -PLATE-FRICTION Kawasaki 2 $7.80 $15.60
13088-0038 -PLATE-FRICTION Kawasaki 3 $7.80 $23.40
92139-0091 -BUSHING,25X32X32.1 Kawasaki 1 $16.56 $16.56
Subtotal: $78.92
Estimate Shipping
$10

I didn't believe that I need any other parts. We'll see. Here is the breakdown of the clutch for anyone who may ever need this thread.
(hope this isn't redundant.)

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Yea, 10K is really soon... I've got 18K on mine, and the clutch is still plenty good. Not doubting your abilities, but it is adjusted correctly, right? and changing out the clutch is quite easy, although maybe tedious. What you might also want to consider having is the gasket for the clutch case cover. You probably won't use it, but it's nice to have it and be ready in case something goes wrong during removal, eh?

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
I would check in and do some clutch inspections before you replace it. I have been told that a wet clutch should outlast the life of the bike its self.........like spooh said, im not doubting your abilities or judgement, but if it doesnt need it then why do it. Is your clutch doing anything funny or out of the ordinary?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Like a I said, I pretty sure its from doing burnouts, and by all means, doubt my ability. I got the bike last year. My first bike ever. I was a clutch slipper. Shortly after the burnouts. I noticed some slipping. It got progressively worse until the point where I have no torque at all. It will engage but when given too much gas it would slip. It will go it I don't over rev given my momentum. If these symptoms don't sound like the clutch, I'd love to hear some feedback on what anyone might think it is.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've already ordered the parts. Its a shame that I wont have them until Tuesday. I'm not going to have a bike this weekend, at MotoGP is in town this week. Anyone going to be here in Indy for the race? Stunt comp is tomorrow downtown.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
mmm, yes, that sounds like a toasted clutch... Post up some pics of the old plates, I'd love to see them..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts