Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been perusing these threads for the last day or two since I noticed my girlfriend's Ninja having a pulsation at speed so reminiscent of my old Honda CB750K when it needed a new chain; it was due to a tight section in the chain. And a tight section of the Ninja's chain was likewise found when we tried to adjust and lube it a couple days ago.

I'm writing to ask if anyone has any suggestions of chain manufacturers we should be looking at. I'm looking for an o-ringed chain that meets stock spec; 520x106 for 14/45 sprockets I believe. And I'd appreciate any help. We've been finding a lot on eBay for around $50 but no mention of their makers... And the one from the dealer is going for about $180.

We got just over 17k miles from this chain if it was the stock one that came on the bike. I believe my woman is the second owner and the previous owner didn't keep up well with the maintenance. Thanks in advance for any help. And thanks for enduring my first post as a needs-based one and not one to be directly helpful to others' needs.

·
Registered
9,088 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Good question. I wonder if there's a chain test/comparison out there somewhere.

DID, EK, RK, etc, all have different levels of chains. Given proper maintenance all will most likely exceed the life of the OEM one that came with the bike.

·
Registered
9,088 Posts
Good question. I wonder if there's a chain test/comparison out there somewhere.

DID, EK, RK, etc, all have different levels of chains. Given proper maintenance all will most likely exceed the life of the OEM one that came with the bike.
Wouldn't take a lot to exceed stock....:whistling:
Heck...u could even lube it with sand n it'd exceed stock...:facepalm:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool! Thanks for the responses, everyone. I'm avoiding eBay since few of their offerings are name brand parts, and I've had bad luck buying cheap for my bikes.

I'm looking at a Renthal chain on sportbiketrackgear.com, but the price at ~$120+ is a hearty fee for such a regular bike. I'll keep looking to see what I come up with and I'll look for any consumer reports or feedback online as well.

It seems the chain on the bike wasn't a master link chain. I'm not sure what it's called exactly, but it's one of those that you peen the pins of when you install it and there's no retaining clip and therefore no easy removal afterward. Was this OEM on these bikes from factory?

·
Registered
9,088 Posts
Cool! Thanks for the responses, everyone. I'm avoiding eBay since few of their offerings are name brand parts, and I've had bad luck buying cheap for my bikes.

I'm looking at a Renthal chain on sportbiketrackgear.com, but the price at ~$120+ is a hearty fee for such a regular bike. I'll keep looking to see what I come up with and I'll look for any consumer reports or feedback online as well.

It seems the chain on the bike wasn't a master link chain. I'm not sure what it's called exactly, but it's one of those that you peen the pins of when you install it and there's no retaining clip and therefore no easy removal afterward. Was this OEM on these bikes from factory?
Maybe OEM or someone had the tool when installing another?
I myseld am doing some research on sprockets n chains....
After reading a lot of reviews on the titanium 2 sprockets n their chains I am having some second thoughts.

Lots say they're great n lots say they aren't any better then good aftermarket stuff, and they had a very hard time with the guarantee.

So...still looking.....

I do want a much stronger chain then stock.
12,000-16,000 pound
I also want a very good set of sprockets.
Hardened steel...
I also want to go one tooth bigger in front....
Less torque n less RPMs on highway.
Might be a lot easier on that rear tire....
Want-want-want.....:whistling:

Gee....I sound like a girl....
Hope that didn't piss anyone off....WTF...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hahahaha! I'm not pissed. In fact, thanks for such quick responses. I'm most likely out of the market for the Ti II chains, but the RKs and DIDs are looking nice. I'm also finding great information on forums.ninja250.org/ for some of the specs and different suggestions as far as what type of master link to get. I hope I didn't say a bad word or anything by referring to another forum, but even us Datsun 240 Z owners on CZCC refer to Hybrid Z and vice versa.

Anyway, the chain without a master link is called an endless chain as far as I can tell. And the chains with master links can have a clip type or rivet type master link as far as I can tell Ninja250 recommends a rivet type so I'm looking for the special tool to flare the pins if I get one of those. It seems RK is offering a rivet type chain in the 520 series.

Love the research. Love the help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We went with a DID chain with a clip type master link that she bought off of eBay for around $170 with steel sprockets. I purchased DID's KM500R chain breaker for $130 from an online store I ended up calling and got the pin with a groove in it so I could flare a few additional types of DID chains (more than the KM501E tool). I had it sent to her place and she did it herself over a week or so skinned knuckles and all. The sprockets were what held her up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Meh... It's actually money well spent for the reliability a quality manufacturer offers and the fuel savings she gleans given her commute. If we get 20k miles out of the chain at $200 (for easy math) it'll yield a cost of $0.01/mile or $0.60 tacked on to each gallon of gas assuming 60miles/gal. Compare that with $0.15/gal for the no-name chains. I guess it starts to seem expensive, but like the optima battery I opted for in my car five years ago I'm pleased with having always been able to just get in my car and start it. And I expect she'll take better care of her chain than the PO did such that we might get even more miles than 20k.

·
Registered
9,088 Posts
Meh... It's actually money well spent for the reliability a quality manufacturer offers and the fuel savings she gleans given her commute. If we get 20k miles out of the chain at $200 (for easy math) it'll yield a cost of $0.01/mile or $0.60 tacked on to each gallon of gas assuming 60miles/gal. Compare that with $0.15/gal for the no-name chains. I guess it starts to seem expensive, but like the optima battery I opted for in my car five years ago I'm pleased with having always been able to just get in my car and start it. And I expect she'll take better care of her chain than the PO did such that we might get even more miles than 20k.
:thumb:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.