Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone. Long time reader on this forum, but first time poster. I have myself a problem and need some expertise in getting her back to the road.
“Black Betty” my 08 black ninja 250r has some serious problems with its fuel/fuel system. When I start it up, it will idle fine, but when I give it some gas, at around 3,000 or 4,000 rpms, it acts like it is not getting any fuel and will putter out and die. Maybe a throttle line problem? It is very similar to having water or excess sediment in your cars gas. I can ride it in 1st and 2nd gear if I choke it up to around 7,000 rpms and hold it there, but there is nothing else left. I added some Heat to the gas to try to burn off any excess water that might have gotten in to the gas, and it didn’t seem to help.
I did not winterize my bike ‘cause I rode it once a week or so during the winter here in Georgia. I get my gas at racetrac and have always got the premium in hope that it would be cleaner. My bad there.
I am going to replace the fuel, and thinking about pulling off the gas take and replacing the fuel pump while it is empty. The problem is that I am not too mechanically inclined. I have the service manual that someone posted on this site.
So my questions for ya’ll are:
1) Do you all think I am right in my diagnosis of fuel problems? Or has anyone else had this problem?
2) Should I change the fuel pump and if so, what is the serial number/ part number of the fuel pump?
3) Do I need to take out and clean the carburetors, and is that hard to do?
4) If I do this is there anything else I will need to make sure I can get it back together and working again?
5) Is it worth it to try to fix it myself of should I just take it to the shop :(

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
1.) I think until you start cleaning/changing things that you know are no longer issues, it will be hard to find the exact problem. I do however think that you are on the right track. If you've figured out there are no other fuel delivery problems to the carb, then take a look at the carbs. Once they are clean, and fuel is flowing smoothly, what could be next? Jetting, but probably moreso, spark, timing, etc. Since the bike wasn't changed, but just left over the winter, I think you're diagnosis is very close, and will become clearer as time goes on and things get cleaned up. Try some seafoam, eh?

2.) I might be very wrong here, but I don't think the US (carb) version of the Ninja has a fuel pump. I think it's a vacuum system, which means there is no pump to replace, just lots of little things to be cleaned. You might also want to check and see if all the vacuum lines are clear. The way this works, is the engine produces vacuum, which is fed into the gas tank, and causes fuel to be pushed through the lines into the carbs when the bike is running. Evolution wise, it's in between gravity feed and fuel injection (fuel pump).

3.) ONce you've cleaned the lines, and checked the vacuum lines, yes, carbs would be the next step, and yes, they're a pain to remove, but you can do it. Make life easier for yourself and unscrew the two bottom screwes holding the rear fender on, so you can pull it back and out of the way,which will move the airbox back, which will make it easier to remove the carbs.

4.) ONly time and troubleshooting will tell. Ghost's suggestion for an inline fuel filter is a great suggestion. ONly after you know some things will you know what else has to be done.

6.) How crazy do you want to get? Keep in mind, if you try this, and you don't permanently screw anything up, you stand the chance of saving quite a bit of money, and can always tow the bike into the shop to let the mechanics figure out where you screwed up, eh? If you break things, in the end, it will cost you more...

Where did 5.) go, eh?

Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Hey pattyboy, I live in norh Georgia, we need to get a ride together sometime. Have you done the carb shim and done like me and started off with washer's that are too big. Sounds like that's how mine done, I would twist the throttle and it would just flood out, sputter and die.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts