Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I notice about a week ago that my headlight is flickering while riding at street speeds (35 mph). Then about 4-5 days ago, the first symptom along with an erratic tachometer. And then a couple days ago, the first two problems with intermittent losses of power randomly at every speed and every gear!

I figured out that if I turn off and turn back on it will be okay; but only for a little while longer.

It got so bad one day that I was on the freeway and there was no shoulder and I completely lost all power. While traveling at approx 50 mph, I turned off the bike, turned back on and accelerated back to freeway speeds (65+). Only to have it happen again in one mile. Luckily there was an exit and I pulled over and was able to get home after a few more stop/starts. The next day (today) I went to turn on the bike to warm it up in the morning, and the green "N" light came on like normal, but then as I tried to start the bike all power cut out. I mean literally the bike was dead.

Could this be the battery? I'm thinking if it's the battery it would just die and not come back on. And the erratic tach would be jumping as fast as my eyes could move at times, going from 0-well past redline, all while keeping the actual engine running at a steady 6,000 (or whatever speed I happened to be going). Is my bike possessed?

If anyone can solve this riddle, it would be much appreciated! Lastly, no mods of any kind, and I have the dealer do regularly scheduled maintenance.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I would say, you have a faulty ground. Check your negative cable, at both ends, and try peeling back the insulation at the battery, to make sure there wire isn't corroding away.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.