156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aw yeah!! Just got this today. Watch out I'll be going 150mph in no time ;D

i'll install later tonight....
No need to shim or re jet right?

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Prometheus, you might be able to shim one or two washers, but you probably won't need to... And if you've already shimmed 2, and you can go another 2, that = 4 which = 1 jet size up (100, cause 98's are stock)... :p

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
spooph said:
Prometheus, you might be able to shim one or two washers, but you probably won't need to... And if you've already shimmed 2, and you can go another 2, that = 4 which = 1 jet size up (100, cause 98's are stock)... :p
i got lost after prometheus...
maybe you can direct me to good literature on this subject....
need to do more form reading

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Prometheus, here's the full write up by RedRider, Joe was speaking of: http://www.newninja.com/modifications/shimming-the-needles/

I'm not sure if Red has this piece of info in the write up, but it generally assumed that 4 washers = 1 jet size...

So for you, what I'd do if I were you, is put the K&N in, and ride it, comparing it to how it was before the K&N. Then, if you feel inclined, pull the plugs and see what they say, and if you want to go richer on the bottom end, shim it first. If you get to 4 washers with the shimming, go one jet size up, and we'll walk you through that as well... I think gummybear's re-jet thread with his yoshi is what you're after...

So, read the shim thread, ask questions, then do the shims, ask questions, and so we progress, eh? Is this fair?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dang those were some good tutorials,

i'm probably gunna shim the needles 0.050" and remove the snorkel after i adjust the choke cable...... sunday for sure, if i can find the right washers somewhere.

is doing all this without an aftermarket exhaust ok?

side question when removing the gas tank i dont have to drain it right? just leave it on the ON position?

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Yes sir, doing all this stuff with the stock exhaust is just fine. I've done all of it, well, actually I have 104 main jets, a swiss cheesed airbox, and 20K on my bike, and I'm still on the original exhaust... I'm not finding time to mod it, but hopefully soon... :p

And you are correct about the gas tank. Some gas will spill out, but it's the gas coming out of the tube going to the carbs, it won't be coming from the tank...

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
these are good for like 50000miles arnt they? before they need cleaning?

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
I think it's more dependent on conditions, but yea, they do run better dirty... :p As compared to a stock filter that is.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I was going to get the K&N when i got my Area P.. Havent though since im selling.. But awesome man, I would be if i was keeping, Shit hot!

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
note sure if these would work: http://www.brokentap.com/easy-outs.html

but personally I would take the carbs out and cut a slot in the screws with a dremel, then take them out with a flat-head screw driver.

Once you've got them out, your local hardware store will prolly have "close-enough" screws you could buy for cents as replacements, rather than going through Kawi.... I've replaced tons of "generic" bolts like that, including my cam bolts... :p

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Do have a link on how to remove the carbs? Thx
also will it be alright to ride with out the snorkel with out shimming?
I felt a little hesitation in acceleration around 4000 rpms in first gear.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
You know, I don't, and I can't remember one... You might want to search the interwebs.... It's a bit of pita. What i can tell you is this:

1.) unbolt the airbox by removing the seat bracket so you can move it back a few millimeter which will give you valuable work room.
2.) disconnect all 3 cable (2 throttle and 1 choke)
3.) disconnect fuel line, overflow line (on the top between the two carb bodies), and the vacuum lines going to (1 the fuel tank), (1 the kleen air system).

Then the carbs should be free and you can wrestle them out from the 4 rubber boots (2 in front, 2 in back)..

And when/if you do this, do a write-up so we have somewhere to refer future quanderers, eh?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
also will it be alright to ride with out the snorkel with out shimming??
I felt a little hesitation in acceleration around 4000 rpms in first gear! :-[

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
damn dremels are expensive, $70 for the cheapest ones, and you have to buy separate accessories!!!yikes
im guna try the screw extraction kit first, if that doesnt work maybe ill buy a dremel on craigslist. hehehe

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Sounds like you're running really lean, hesitation at 4,000 on up... This is a bad thing prometheus... I wouldn't ride it much until I have the shims in there, out of fear of burning a valve, cause you'll prolly be quite a bit higher at cruising speed, and up there you will be quite lean....

Yes, Dremels are expensive, they're worth it though... Want to know how people did it back before dremels? Much cheaper:
http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1290072&CAWELAID=109337054

1 - 20 of 34 Posts