Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Smith System... Rules to live by.

It bothers me sometimes to read, when one of my fellow forum members will espouse his or her theory on safe riding. I say theory (singular), because said member usually has safe riding boiled down to one motto, rule, or practice.

Riding slightly faster than the speed of traffic, is often cited as a reliable tool. But how this intentional use, of traffic-flow-pattern instability is supposed to keep you alive, is beyond me. Pass ten cars every minute, and you just rode a mile through ten blind spots.

Another popular argument, is that "loud pipes save lives". Watch any number of videos on YouTube, and you'll note that the volume at which the bike rider enters the picture, isn't worth remembering. It's the volume we hear after he's already past, that gets our attention.

It will take a combination of efforts, to keep you safe in traffic. No single rule, is going to cover all the bases. At my place of work, we practice The Smith System... five simple commands that can be repeated in your head, several times a day. They are as appropriate to motorcyclists, as they are to commercial drivers. Add to these, the proper use of lights and safety gear, and you'll improve your chances on the road.

The Five Keys are:
1. Aim High in Steering - Avoid Collisions by seeing, evaluating, and acting upon all information available.
2. Get the Big Picture - Fewer mistakes are made when you have the complete traffic picture.
3. Keep Your Eyes Moving - Proper scanning techniques separate safe drivers from people who make costly errors.
4. Leave Yourself an Out - All that separates drivers from a collision is space. Use it to your advantage.
5. Make Sure They See You - Seek eye contact and use your warning devices at the same time.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Things I always do without thinking about them.

Thanks for all the 18 wheeler drivers who look out for us. +1

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
+1 to Onslaught- I have always found big rig drivers to not only be vary aware of ever thing, but particularly courteous to riders...

On more than one occasion a semi tried to merge into a lane, and cars were just not letting that happen, so I'd jump into the desired lane and flash my brake lights continuously to make a spot for the big rig. A flash of the brights and the driver knows what's up. After I then pass the semi at my own pace in which ever lane is open, I always get a toot or a flash of the bright as I pass, with a smiling face and a wave. I love big rigs and their culture! Good peeps. They know what's up like riders do.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.