Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What exactly does the R stand for in 250R? I've heard the Ninjas called Ninja 250, and the newer ones called Ninja 250R.

What does the R mean, and are the older ones not R?

Tried doing a search first to find the answer to this question before looking like a total jackass newbie and asking, but trying to do a search for the letter R came up with like 45 million responses....
-Aleckor
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,695 Posts
I think it has something to do with Race, because the previous ninjas had the denotation EX, which is classified under the "standard" category, not the "sport" category... Kinda like how the new 600's are RR (Ready to Race)...
 

·
The Man, The Mystery, The Itch.
Joined
·
4,853 Posts
nah, they're all R's, I think they wanted to not only redesign the bike but give it a new name other than EX-250, that sounds like a tanker, and 250R sounds like an F-22....with a 249cc displacement :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,795 Posts
I think the RR on sport bikes is race replica. But for ouy 250 the R or should I say r means race

did you say denotation or detonation like "EX"plode
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. I didn't want to show up to the dealer when that much-awaited day comes and have them sell me a 2009 Ninja 250F (F for Fail) That would be funny though. I was reading wikipedia about the body style changes. I guess the 2008-2009 body style are referred to as the J generation but they still didn't tell me exactly what "R" stood for.

I'll have to assume it's Race. Which is cool. Rock on.
-Aleckor
 
G

·
Aleckor said:
What exactly does the R stand for in 250R? I've heard the Ninjas called Ninja 250, and the newer ones called Ninja 250R.

What does the R mean, and are the older ones not R?

Tried doing a search first to find the answer to this question before looking like a total jackass newbie and asking, but trying to do a search for the letter R came up with like 45 million responses....
-Aleckor
The R is an old pirate term, an expression of approval.
Sleepy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,695 Posts
Just for general knowledge the '08 are J8F, the '09 are J9F. There is no difference I know of, but this way they know to get your the rights parts, or charge you most/less on the parts depending on the year, down the line at some point.... The '07's were F7F

So, speaking seriously, they're all "F"'s in the end....

Think of the "R" as a name, and a distinguishing mark to not get it confused with the older generations. Technically, the Ninja is an EX250J8F/9F depending on year. I believe it still uses the same block, heads, pistons, carbs and so forth as the older generation 250's, but uses different cams, airbox and exhaust to open more power in the mid range.

Kawi keeps saying that they totally re-engineered the bike, and they might have, but to no real substantive measures where the end consumer will use it. I think they made the bike less powerful, and more manageable for new riders. A good thing certainly, since that's its target market. The other crazies like myself with just have to overcome those hurdles and free up the power laying within...

If you have more questions, please ask...
 

·
The Man, The Mystery, The Itch.
Joined
·
4,853 Posts
spooph said:
Just for general knowledge the '08 are J8F, the '09 are J9F. There is no difference I know of, but this way they know to get your the rights parts, or charge you most/less on the parts depending on the year, down the line at some point.... The '07's were F7F

So, speaking seriously, they're all "F"'s in the end....

Think of the "R" as a name, and a distinguishing mark to not get it confused with the older generations. Technically, the Ninja is an EX250J8F/9F depending on year. I believe it still uses the same block, heads, pistons, carbs and so forth as the older generation 250's, but uses different cams, airbox and exhaust to open more power in the mid range.

Kawi keeps saying that they totally re-engineered the bike, and they might have, but to no real substantive measures where the end consumer will use it. I think they made the bike less powerful, and more manageable for new riders. A good thing certainly, since that's its target market. The other crazies like myself with just have to overcome those hurdles and free up the power laying within...

If you have more questions, please ask...
Spooph, where do babies come from? ahaha
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,695 Posts
LOL

Well Virt, I have no idea man. I think there are like enzymes, tubes, juices, vessels and all kinds of other things involved. I think it has something to do with fermentation, and usually the lack of higher rational-based brain functions, but I could be very wrong on this. Oh yea, and in America it definitely has something to do with copious amounts of lipids constituting the makeup of the two individuals present...
 

·
The Man, The Mystery, The Itch.
Joined
·
4,853 Posts
spooph said:
LOL

Well Virt, I have no idea man. I think there are like enzymes, tubes, juices, vessels and all kinds of other things involved. I think it has something to do with fermentation, and usually the lack of higher rational-based brain functions, but I could be very wrong on this. Oh yea, and in America it definitely has something to do with copious amounts of lipids constituting the makeup of the two individuals present...
I never want to have children now.

Okay back to topic...

-R-
 
1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top