Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently upgraded from my 08 Ninja 250 to an 07 GSXR 600 :), but I'm having some issues with the bike temperature.
My bike heats up super quick...it will hit 200 easily within a 10 minute drive (even on a chilly day). The fan turns on at about 220 and the bike will somewhat cool off if I'm driving 70+, but I cant always go 70+.
Any ideas on what could be causing this? I've had people tell me that it could be the type of oil I'm running or the spark plugs. My local shop suggested on doing some carb work and clearing the valves but I want to weigh my options before I drop several hundred on their suggestion.

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
I would have thought that your new bike would have been EFI!? Maybe there is a dodgy temp sender unit or something? Something that is not so old would also be able to be plugged into a compurter to read any errors wouldn't it?

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
So why would they suggest doing carb work??!!!

Sounds like the shop is trying to pull a swifty!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The guy at the shop suggested I invest in the 50 point (or however many point) check up. He hinted that my temperature issue may be a result of some needed carb/valve work so he suggested that I invest in the full check up since they check everything else at the same time.
I'm running semi-synthetic oil and NGK Cr8e spark plugs (not sure if that helps some). My coolant level is fine...so not sure what the issue could be :(

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
So I recently upgraded from my 08 Ninja 250 to an 07 GSXR 600 :), but I'm having some issues with the bike temperature.
My bike heats up super quick...it will hit 200 easily within a 10 minute drive (even on a chilly day). The fan turns on at about 220 and the bike will somewhat cool off if I'm driving 70+, but I cant always go 70+.
Any ideas on what could be causing this?
Big engine. Sounds like normal operating temps. The Ninjas fan comes on at about 212.

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
CL, lots of factors here. The 600 is a powerful sportbike. All that is required to make all that power means A LOT of heat. 212 is the boiling point of water at sea level. Ethelyne-glycol (Antifreeze) has a much higher boiling point. Not to mention the entire cooling system on your bike is under pressure, which means both water and anti-freeze will have a much higher boiling point. As long as the liquid stays a liquid and doesn't bleed off as a gas somewhere, the system is working as it should. Another factor is that the higher an engine's performance is, the smaller the tolerances are between it's parts to be able to put that power to use, which means they are designed for a much smaller environment (in this case, temperature range).

Felix is right, 180F is still on the cool side for that engine. It should be running at about 200-220 for optimal performance. Once it starts going over 235 you might want to start checking into things.

Irrespective of how hot it's running, if your bike isn't running stock spark plugs, you should change those out to stock units. A spark plug is one of the most important guiding factors in engine design by the manufacturers (spark duration, quality, amplitude, shape, etc, etc). Unless you're doing extensive work to the engine and your own R&D to produce something very different from what the manu's came up with, just stick with what they designed....

If you live in a place where it won't drop below freezing during the night, swap out the coolant for distilled water and Water Wetter, it's better at cooling your bike than anti-freeze. Obviously anti-freeze is better at NOT freezing that water though, so just keep an eye on that... :D

Hope this helps, please post up with more info...

BTW, the GSXR 600 got FI in 2001. Yours definitely has fuel injection, which means it DOES NOT have carbs.... That means the shop can pull codes and analyze what's happening to your bike at any given point. Don't let them talk you into spending money on something you don't have... Valve work? Erm, how many miles on the beast?

Also, congrats on the bigger bike!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I bought the bike used...2 previous owners. The bike was in great condition...completely stock (other than a K&N Air Filter) and only about 7K miles.
The first few months that I was using the bike, I had no issues with the temperature. It would never reach 220+. Then I had to change the spark plugs, oil and oil filter and I noticed that it started heating up a lot quicker. Now it constantly runs at about 200+ and has trouble going below the 200 mark (only does so when I'm going 70+). The shop guy told me that I have nothing to worry about as long as it cools down as I start moving, but lately my bike seems to be having trouble doing that.
My bike is around the 9-10K mark, so I know I should replace the coolant but I'm still a few thousand miles away from needing the valves cleared.
I'm guessing I should just call around to a few different shops and get some different opinions. Hopefully I'll find a shop that isn't just trying to jerk me around.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I personally would run it on a dyno and test the fuel\air ratio make sure you aren't running lean. If you are overheating frequently AFTER a coolant flush test the water pump, if its good I would guess bearings :(.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I would also make sure that there is no air in the system as thats what happen to me in my cager. However if that is the case then you might have a head gasket problem.

·
Registered
73 Posts
GGaskill said:
I would also make sure that there is no air in the system as thats what happen to me in my cager. However if that is the case then you might have a head gasket problem.
I filled up my antifreeze in a sv65o. And the liquid was all the Way to the top . However I was not aware that it is critical to burp the air out of the system in order for it to be actually full . I had hardly any antifreeze in the system even though the radiator was full . You need to double check this. Especially since you just got a used bike . Who knows what that guy did to it .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.