Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed the Targa Fender Eliminator kit last night....here are my thoughts.

-Install was fairly easy, but a little time consuming. The directions they give you have NO PICTURES, which would have helped out alot. The directions are also a little confusing. They do give you 1 picture of a completed assembly which was a little helpful, but they could have done a much better job.

-Fit and finish is good. They give you 2 plastic side pieces that attach to either side of the taillight (see pics), but they needed to be trimmed. I know some other people have had the same issues with this kit.

-I really like the license plate light, its used to hold the left side of the plate on and works really well (see pics). Its bright, and is alot more compact and stylish compared to that rediculous stock light.

-Things I would change about it: 1) Make a way to shorten the distance between the turn signals and the license plate. They kinda stick out too far in my opinion. 2) Targa needs to give more detailed directions with pictures, as well as trim those side pieces down before sending them out.

Overall I think the kit looks much better then stock. I would reccomend it, but take your time and read the directions a few times before doing each step. There are ALOT of steps. You have to remove side panels under seat, both seats, rear fenders, do some wiring for new license plate light, remove stock signals and taillight and re-install on new parts, etc.

I have had my bike since 2/11/09, and have so far added this targa kit, a dynojet kit, a yoshimura exhaust, and a zero gravity windscreen. My only future plans for this bike are Flush mount turn signals, wheel stripes (I bought pro-grip wheel stripes and they sucked, hard to put on, so I trashed it), and a solo seat cowl I still need. Thats about it though. When Im done Im going to just enjoy it for another year or 2 and then move it on up to the ZX6-R.

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Looks good. I bought the Targa Kit and installed it but decided to go another direction. That seal cowl is next on my list too.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Looks pretty good, I like it, I'd probably be worried about that liscense plate holder/light it looks kinda weak, but other that that it's sweet looking.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The light is actually pretty bright at night, you can see the plate just fine. It is bolted in obviously, and wired in, so theres no way it could ever fall out.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Doubt it, they are plastic with grooves and all and it's one piece, and my guess is you would have to sorta melt them back together, ya know? I wish someone had an extra set of them to test this on...

·
Registered
1 Posts
did the light come with the kit? because that looks like the same exact kit that I have on my bike but different make (I can't remember the make).

·
Registered
726 Posts
Is the splicing and re-wiring necessary? If so, is it simple/safe? I'm thinking about getting this kit and will be doing it on my own (I'm not mechanically blessed!)
This kit requires cutting the wires to the tag light, and splicing in the replacement. (It's only two wires... hard to get it wrong.) But as with any tail kit, attention to detail and looming the wires, can make for a much cleaner install.

Unfortunately, Targa didn't sweat the details themselves, with this product. And the end result looks a bit cheap. Mine is nearly two years old, and works fine, but there are better options available.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts