Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner

taking care after raining ride

3K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  spooph 
#1 ·
been searching for such topic and didnt find it. Sorry if I missed it. So first what's up everybody boys and girls. I have a question to all you. If my bike got wet ( happened already with me a couple times) and I want to take care about my bike 'cause I like him so much!! so what do I have to do for that? Chain lubrication? What kind of lubricant? WHat esle? You know I'm such kind of guy that I'm going to ride at all times day and night sunshine and rain. Moreover I dont have garage now.. I cover my bike when I know that its going to be rain. So once again what steps do I have to attempt after my bike been under the rain? What to check? What to lubricate? What to do? Thank you for any explanations and advises. I love you all :p

#2 ·
Well idk about having to lub up the chain everytime it rains but if it needs it then why not? Bel-Ray, MFR, even Armor -All makes chain lube. If you're looking for a how-to on lubing your chain and tightening it as well Red Rider has a video in the how to section showing all of that. The ninja is a well built bike, its not going to rust easy, although there's been a topic where a members bolts started to rust quickly, I prefer a nickel coated bolt to be honest with you, and keep never-seez on the bolt threads to keep them in top notch shape, but that crap gets everywhere before you screw them in so be careful but it washes off.

My advice is keep a nice fitted cover over your bike when its parked in the driveway, and if you're at work or whatever dry it off with a towel nicely, take your time and your bike should be fine. Routine maintainence is a good thing so look into that, we have alot of topics on that, as well as youtube videos.

#5 ·
Occasionally check the airbox for accumulated water. I can't at the moment, but tonight when I get home, I'll take a picture of the "drain" plug, so you can make sure it has no standing water in it...

Other than the chain and airbox, maintenance for riding in the rain is no different. Maintenance in general is all about knowing your motorcycle. Knowing if something is wrong, and then getting it the help it needs. Just think of it as a person. If it starts to cough and sputter, you need to take it to a doc, or learn and be a doc yourself (lucky for motorcycles, any person can do that). To keep your bike fit, trim, healthy and looking great, just spend massive time with it! Lots of sex, um, I mean riding, is a must. Lot's of foreplay, um, I mean cleaning, waxing. Lot's of breakfasts in bed, flowers at work, and a random box of chocolates under a couch pillow, um, I mean, oil change, clean air filter, clean fork tubes and all that jazz..

Luckily, a motorcycle comes with an instruction manual on how to keep it happy, unlike so many women :p, and this is a good starting point. However, just like in any good relationship, you have to watch closely, listen well, and pay attention to her/his body language, intonations, etc (communications), to really know what's going on. If you just stick to the manual and it's "schedule", you both will be left reasonably healthy and happy, but getting bored of one another, and wanting to move on fairly quickly.

<Kindergarten cop voice>
So, how much do you really love your ninja?
</Kindergarten cop voice>

#7 ·
If she won't take the 250 but wants a 600 instead, and then spanks your butt up a canyon, she's a keeper my friend... I would much rather chase a woman up a canyon than carry her up one, or wait for her.... There are few things better to get blood a pumpin'..

#8 ·
Nah I bought the bike after hrs of negotiating and all that happy shit just to convince her into letting me spend the money on a 250 when I really wanted to go for a 600 but insurance was too much for me on a bigger bike. So now that I'm more experienced I tell her I want to move up to a 600 nd I'd give her my 250 but she doesnt like the idea of spending so much money nd she doesnt want to ride, she wants to b a passenger haha. I mean wtf, it's just money, I'm not taking any of it to my grave when I'm old, so spend it up and live the good life. Haha one day I'll have my 600 in the garage without her knowing, take her out for an expensive dinner and come home nd let her find the new toy in the garage. That'll work great!

G
#9 ·
I would say try not to ride in the rain but if you do and if the chain looks dirty or needs cleaning/lubing then do it. The chain will usually turn brown with rust after left a few days after riding in the rain or on wet roads. Easiest way to clean/lube the chain is to put your bike on a rear stand and remove the chain guard.

No more brown chain for me, washed my bike then cleaned and lubed my chain today. 70 degrees here today.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.