Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During last Winter's riding interruption, I started feeling out the plan for taking a 5 day trip in June. Today I confirmed the other end of my destination. Most importantly, I have received authorization from the ever awesome Mrs Boar. So, I am officially in planning mode for my first multi- day motorcycle journey, and I'm pretty excited!:dance:

Dates: 10-14 June 2011
Destination: Petawawa, Ontario (about 600kms from home, and the current address of an old army buddy) and sights and stops in between and maybe another visit or 2 in there (still planning, remember?):facepalm:

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
Good stuff Boar!! Give that 650 a chance to stretch it's legs!!

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update:

Ride Group: Solo
Luggage: GiviE26 top case on the tail rach and the Gears Navigator tail bag on the pilion. I'll post pictures of the luggage set up this weekend.
Accomodations: Couch surfing/spare rooms at friends and family along the way

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update:

Set up the luggage today for a trial run. The Gears tail bag has 52L of space. Straps under the seat for some security and ties down on four corners with friction locks. Pretty fast on and off. Also has two bungee tie downs and two large top straps that would hold a tent/sleeping bag/bed roll etc. Retail in Canada for about $100 + tax, I got it at a Winter bike show for $90 otd.

The Givi top case is the same one I had on the Ninja. Solid, secure and weather proof. That will hold the important & valuable stuff like the camera and a bottle of Gibson's:whistling:

Anybody remember the bobber? It got a new paint job.

Gears bag has a pop out rain cover, which held on just fine at all speeds.

With the luggage loaded I took a 120km trial run ride, worked like a charm!

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts
Looks good!

Those Givi boxes are right out there! Any tank bag? I think I'm getting closer to a decision on luggage for my bike! Soft wolfman waterproof panniers and a Pelican 1520 top case for valuables. Not a fan of tank bags, but if I can find a small one which clips off and has backpack straps I'll get one.

Those boats in that last photo looks odd, whats the story with them?

Felix

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
Where are the War Machine stickers? I remember seeing them in a photo somewhere??

I looked at an orange Versys the other day at the dealership, damn they are tall!!

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Felix: Wolfman stuff is great, I've never heard a bad thing about them and they look great on dual sports. Tank bags don't fit well on the Versys, but you can find them. I don't think they are worth the money for the small space. I would like a map holder though.

The boats are in the harbour at Port Stanley which leads into Lake Erie. They are commercial fishing boats and pretty common around the Great Lakes.

Zandit: The War Machine stickers had to go. They looked great and I loved them on the bike, but they were so sharply cut at the edges that they kept trying to peel away and would not hold up against washing/polishing. I put a clear chip guard strip over them, but that looked like crap. Too bad, for now I run debadged and have fun with people who have no idea what I'm riding. (I convinced one guy its a Porsche! :facepalm:)

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I rode about 250 kms on Saturday past. That's about the most time I've spent on the Versys at one time since getting the bike late last season. I found the seat got a little weary at the end and my ears rang a bit when I got home. So, I'll be adding ear plugs and my gel seat pad to my equipment list.

Also, spoke to my brother in Ottawa and added an overnight to see him and his family. That makes the round trip into a fairly good triangle route, though the haul home from Ottawa is about 700kms, so there may not be much scenic route heading home.

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I will be travelling enough kms to need to lube the chain once or twice while I'm away, especially if I hit some bad weather. So I decided to build a compact screw jack to get the rear tire off the ground, since I obviously can't pack my rear stand with me.

I discussed the idea with my handy neighbour (the guy who built the Bobber...) and he came up with this:

Its a heavy duty turn buckle. He opened the top end to make a cradle for the spool. Then welded a nut hold the turn key in place when the jack is stored. The "foot" is the top of the brake peddle from a friends bike that got dropped last year and the bent peddle replaced. Smart stuff, eh?

The first picture is the jack fully compressed (to about 10inches) First thing you do is un-wind both ends then secure it vertically straight under the right swing arm spool. *Note*I lock the front brake "on" with a velcro strap.

Then insert the key in the center of the turnbuckle:

Give it a few turns counterclockwise:

And there you go, free spinning back tire. Total cost: $5.64 for the turnbuckle and a six pack of Molson's for the scraps and welding!

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
While thats good, I would have thought this would be more compact and simpler to use!
Wheel Jockey
Motorcycle chain and wheel work made easy.

Finally, a simple tool offers a solution for the cumbersome task of rotating motorcycle wheels for: Tire and Wheel Cleaning, Chain Maintenance, Valve Stem Positioning, and Tire Inspection. And, what’s more, Wheel Jockey® is small enough to be easily stowed under the seat or in any motorcycle luggage!
* Sealed ball bearing movement
* Lifts wheel less than 1.5" off the ground
* Small, portable size: 4" x 4.5"
* Sturdy steel and aluminum construction
* Non-skid backing
* Accommodates motorcycles up to 750 lbs*
* For use on road motorcycles only; not for off-road tires
* Patent Pending

Attachments

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Tried my rain suit yesterday for the first time. It is not motorcycle specific gear, I bought it on sale for 30 bucks at TSC last year.

It fits over my riding gear well and has room to move. There is a bit of a gap in the front flap between snaps when I'm sitting, but the high bib on the pants counters anything that might get in there.

I rode in some heavy rain, and got out on the highway for a bit. The suit worked well, no billowing or puffing up. And VERY high visibilty too.

Still gathering my gear in one place and working on route maps. Five more nights and I'm on the road!

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
That's a sweet cheap fix Boar! I dig the rain suit as well... Gosh, you must not be able to sleep with excitement! Can't wait to see the pics man, it's gonna be awesome!

Also, anybody know what that other thingy was which does the same thing as Boars turnbuckle-jober? It was like a folding plate type thingy... I can't find it for the life of me. I'm gonna need one of those for my trip as well.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.