Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I live in southern California and it gets crazy got here and for the last month I haven't been wearing my jacket. Am I stupid or is everyone else doing this where it gets crazy hot??

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Stupid.
My 2 cents.
2 of 5 riders went down during the Kingston Fort Henry rally. It was hot as hell that day. Over 30 degrees and pushing 40 (104F) with the humidity. Everyone was wearing gear, and no one got hurt (but a bruised knee through jeans)

One of my cruiser riding buddies was making jokes on a Spring ride where several people showed up with jackets as it was a little cool in the morning. Not necesarrily armour jackets, just something to keep the chill out. He said only a wimp would wear a jacket today. I said "I wear this leather armoured jacket when it's 40 degrees out. Don't you dare call me a wimp" He saw the point.

Bottom line, you need to dress for the crash, not the ride. The last thing I want to do is to be laying on the road with my skin sheared off over last 50 feet of pavement secure in the knowledge that I have a $500 jacket in my closet.

And, you NEVER know when you'll need it.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I always find it funny when people in the States complain how hot it is and how hard it is to stay cool. Everyone has a remedy, tips and gadgets to keep cool, but no one ever asks an Arab...how do you stay cool?

When I was in the military you could not afford to work, train or fight all the time in shorts, flip flops and a t-shirt. This is the attire for most civilians for combating heat, however the average civilian in the middle east is fully dressed. One of the tings that they teach you in dessert survival is leave your clothes on. (A common mistake made by inexperienced people in the desert, is wearing shorts and sleeveless shirts. Loose fitting long sleeves and pants provide good air circulation and much better protection than sunblock.)

The most important thing to do is stay hydrated. Also remember moisture is a good thing. Keeping a little moisture close to the skin helps the body stay cool whether it is dry heat or humid heat. The body will try to balance itself for the conditions. Wearing a wicking layer of clothing is recommended, although it may seem too hot, it is actually effective. (remember the Arabs, they wear layers) Cotton t-shirts have been shown to be ok but not as good. I wear a long sleeve and long under armor like pants.
Although Under Armor maybe expensive, there are less expensive alternatives that work just as well. It also works great in the winter as well. Many riders wear it under leather as well.

This wicking layer is enough to protect me from heat from the bike, engine and radiant heat from the road surface and other vehicles. The moisture from my body's own sweat stays close to my body and provides a nice cooling affect, not so much sitting still, but better than nothing. Start moving and it's instant A/C. If a mesh jacket has too much air flow it can be counterproductive. It will dry the moist layer too fast and not trap any moisture, so a good textile mesh jacket with small mesh areas on the arms and chest work well, especially if you have to sit with out air moving. If you wear leather, large vents are critical to have.

Temps in the south or the south west can be pretty brutal at times, so riding in 100+ degree temps is common. It just takes a little preparation.
Remember to;

1. Drink lots of “water.” Camelback type bladders are ideal. Proper hydration will help keep you from mental stress that come from heat exhaustion. Clear mental awareness is critical to a motorcycle rider.
2. Insulate your skin from the heat (exposed skin on a hot day is not only subject to sunburn, but bare skin soaks up MORE heat from the sun)
3. Cool yourself by dowsing your under layer of clothing with water and zipping up your jacket on top of it.
4. Wear a thin layer to absorb moisture (sweat) so that it stays close to the skin (this is the most effective cooling if your body is too hot)
5. Open the vents on your helmet for a small amount of air flow ( temps inside your helmet can reach over 100 degrees. remember the helmet is insulated, so if it is 100 outside, it may be 90 inside)
6. Don’t ride in the hottest part of the day
7. Take regular breaks and get into some shade

·
Registered
207 Posts
I agree 100% with Boar. There are many styles in mesh jackets. Textile and leather mesh with padding. Why not own one? I spent good money for tattoos that I don't want ruined.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I have a jacket but im not about to risk passing out on my bike due to heat stroke/exhaustion... I can avoid cars and such a lot better than I can overheating in a thick ass jacket no matter how breathable it is...

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts
Dude, it gets hotter here and for two summers I wore a full race spec leather jacket and one of those summers was on a ZX6R which gets hellishly hot. Sweat rubs off road rash doesn't.

Drink lots of water during the day (should be anyway), pick your lanes well and judge traffic flow so you can keep rolling. Take the longer way to places if it means you can be on more open roads.

Buy a summer jacket, I use a DriRider Rally Cross Pro. It has two zip out layers (thermal and rain), external body armour and a drink bladder.

Maybe look at your fitness level as well, you should be able to hack it with a reasonable level of fitness.

Felix

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
928 Posts
You're also not considering each person personal health...I have hypoglycemia and if I get too hot or fatigued then my blood sugar drops... and then I run the chance of passing out...

Im nit saying what I do is smart. Im just stating the reasons that I have for what I do...

·
Registered
167 Posts
BlackBoar said:
Stupid.
My 2 cents.
2 of 5 riders went down during the Kingston Fort Henry rally. It was hot as hell that day. Over 30 degrees and pushing 40 (104F) with the humidity. Everyone was wearing gear, and no one got hurt (but a bruised knee through jeans)

One of my cruiser riding buddies was making jokes on a Spring ride where several people showed up with jackets as it was a little cool in the morning. Not necesarrily armour jackets, just something to keep the chill out. He said only a wimp would wear a jacket today. I said "I wear this leather armoured jacket when it's 40 degrees out. Don't you dare call me a wimp" He saw the point.

Bottom line, you need to dress for the crash, not the ride. The last thing I want to do is to be laying on the road with my skin sheared off over last 50 feet of pavement secure in the knowledge that I have a $500 jacket in my closet.

This is advice I will definitely be taking, thank you

·
Registered
122 Posts
Stupid.
My 2 cents.

I had the same thing. Jus got my street bike in April an leather was a switch. When it got hot, I started riding around w my jacked zipped halfway. Then I read a story about this chick that lost er tits. I ride fully zipped up in my $400 Icon, I know it's gon do what it can. Can't plan yer accidents

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
jbal1000 said:
I had the same thing. Jus got my street bike in April an leather was a switch. When it got hot, I started riding around w my jacked zipped halfway. Then I read a story about this chick that lost er tits. I ride fully zipped up in my $400 Icon, I know it's gon do what it can. Can't plan yer accidents
Wow, reading posts like this definitely keeps me covered. If I ever think of not wearing my gloves, jacket, helmet, boots ... I stop the thinking. :)
I don't even entertain it.

All I have is a textile for now. Next jacket will be leather. And I do need to invest I some pants.

:NefRider:

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I have a textile with foam armour n a leather with the hard armour. Textile pants lined with Kevlar. I too value my safety and my skin. Never drive without my gear, never.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
indyjoe7 said:
I have a textile with foam armour n a leather with the hard armour. Textile pants lined with Kevlar. I too value my safety and my skin. Never drive without my gear, never.
Hey IndyJoe which textile pants do you have? Any tips for me when deciding a pair?

:NefRider:

·
Registered
9,088 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts