Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being at school and having limited tools, I used a bit-too-small hex T-bar to try and get the stock exhaust pipe removed to install my new HMF, the ones on the stock exhaust hanger.. Now they are both pretty stripped, notto the point where I cant get any grip on them, but even when I try and push into them as hard as I can to torque the screw on in there, it just strips it more -.-. I was just impatient and had to work with my friends had, which is not much as you can imagine. Any specifc techniques you have used to get one of these suckers out? If I could cut off the top of it, would this work? Lubrication? Heat? Anything? Ahhhhhh! I am screwing up lately.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
I agree. Try Indie's way first, and then Felix's way.. When tapping the bolt with a hammer, get a solid steel rod of some sort to transfer the hammer hits to the bolt, and don't be afraid to really wack that bolt, just pay attention to the head after every hit. If you start bending and molding the head into something different, it's time to stop...

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
spooph said:
I agree. Try Indie's way first, and then Felix's way.. When tapping the bolt with a hammer, get a solid steel rod of some sort to transfer the hammer hits to the bolt, and don't be afraid to really wack that bolt, just pay attention to the head after every hit. If you start bending and molding the head into something different, it's time to stop...
Hey! Well.. I had to make a decision because this thing was not only almost completly stripped, but jesus christ it was lodged in there big time. I first got a drill bit and tried to drill into it to catch it and rip the head off, but that literally HOLLOWED out this school. Then I got my mallet and tapped it, which moments later turned into swinging full force with a nail hammer haha.. so I said screw it, the heat shield is rusted in a couple spots, a few scratches here and there, and I am getting on this damn pipe TONITE!

So, long story short, took the drill and drill bit ad drilled through on all sides, making sure I didn't penetrate too far on any side. Then I took a chisel and really banged out the sides to try and make it lose its threading, which finally worked and I was able to use the drill bit to get it far eough out until I used needle nose to pull them out.

IN SHORTER SHORT- destroyed the HELL out of the heat shield, I will post a picture a little later on.. you guys will get a great laugh out of it, picturing me cursing like a sailor with a mad look in my eye- and because of this small scrafice (the stock exhaust is fine) my new HMF pipe is installed (minus heatshield, which I was just so exhausted I will do a little later)

I love it! Was a total mess to push that thing in.. used wd-40 and after about twenty minutes experimented with Pam and it worked better! Slipped that baby right in!

So, with sore fingers, a single bloodblister, and a lot of pride, my HMF pipe is installed correctly and looking great, nevermind sounding PHENOMONAL, and my ZG DB windshield is also taken care of since I used some electrical tape and a threaded nut that matched the stock screw and got it atleast a little torqued onto the screen, so is atleast visually pleasing :)

Pictures up ASAP! Presidents Day so no class, I am going to take a nap (I worked on all of this from 3 a.m. to nearly 8:30 a.m., among some other small projects with my bike) and then finish the heat shield and take her for a short ride!

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions, and a special thanks to Delta because last night on chat she was the one who gave me the idea to use the drill bit.. which failed miserably- but led me to be motivated enough to drill, mallet, hammer, screw, pull, push, and sweat into the night and early morning and get this damn stuff done! Thanks to everyone else too, spooph, Felix, Indie, Thankya Thankya

·
Registered
732 Posts
When I tried to take my heat shield off, I had the same problem so I just left it on and painted the entire exhaust, rather than tearing the screws up cause I knew they weren't going to come out easily at all.

·
Registered
4,884 Posts
Blackout said:
Thanks to everyone for your suggestions, and a special thanks to Delta because last night on chat she was the one who gave me the idea to use the drill bit.. which failed miserably- but led me to be motivated enough to drill, mallet, hammer, screw, pull, push, and sweat into the night and early morning and get this damn stuff done! Thanks to everyone else too, spooph, Felix, Indie, Thankya Thankya
Yeah, so we all learned something the drill idea sort of works. But its so much more fun to break crap. IMO I like the looks of the HMF. Great vid.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Delta107 said:
Yeah, so we all learned something the drill idea sort of works. But its so much more fun to break crap. IMO I like the looks of the HMF. Great vid.
Thanks D! And yeah, not only does it match the bike better and the elliptical shape look pretty awesome, if you lift the stock exhaust in one hand and the hmf in the other.. it is literally shocking as to why kawi would have such a big, long and heavy exhaust stuck on there. Not that it looks bad by any means, but that thing weighs in preetttyyy heavy I'd say.

But yeah, I can't complain. I set off three car alarms just before shifting into second three times while riding around campus. If you are not looking for a helllllllll of a loud pipe, sit this one out, or find a way to make her roar a little less fierce.

And spooph- I will actually just post a quick one in this thread tomorrow morning, I know you are just joking but I would like for people that have not heard it yet to hear it.. I know my video quality sucks but maybe my sound quality is better on my little cam.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks virt :) I am too. Gave her a full wash and wax today, and installed the heatshield.. although it isn't a flush fit, it does look better then before so I will deal! I am actually off to cyclegears outlet today to buy the last of my gear.. some good gloves, and something sort of like motocross armor with a spine protector etc to wear on the realllly hot days under my bare jacket if I take out all the inlays..

They have a great one there for just motorcycles, but it is a whopping 200 bucks.. I would need to charge it on my credit card.. ahh.. but I want to. So I probably will. FML.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.