Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I'm so upset about this I need some abuse to make myself feel better.

I don't know how it happened, but when I retorqued the camshaft caps after adjusting the valves this afternoon they just kept spinning. To be more precise, 3 out 10. Yea, I stripped them. And I have no idea when or where. not quite sure what I'm going to do, there are quite a few options out there, but for now, Cherry is out of commission for a while.

Dammit, I hate being stupid! Somebody beat me up!

·
Registered
26 Posts
You better get that fixed soon because you just have to make that 100k on your bike, now dammit fix it.

Sorry if that was too harsh lol.....
But I do feel your pain though.

·
Registered
4,884 Posts
Spooph,

I just went on like a 10 minute rant on how I dislike my car cause it cost a fortune. And that I'm going to start riding the motorcycle more often, so I don't have to spend money on fixing my car. I told my mom that if something breaks on the ninja I just call spooph he comes down and helps me fix it.

.... but when you do stupid stuff like this I lose faith in you. You mad scientist ninja genius. But seriously that sucks spooph.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Reason number 2 why the valves are better checked with out the covers in place . taking the covers off and on will do that. Do you think there is enough thread to use longer bolts?

There are things called time certs. They are thread repair kits. MUCH better than Heli coils .If you want to ship me your head I will fix it for you.

·
Registered
726 Posts

·
Registered
1,795 Posts

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I didn't realize how deep the threads go in. I think longer bolts will do the trick. Are the bolt holes straight through the bottom of the heads, or do they have a bottom?

Thanks for the help guys, and that's exactly what I was looking for. Didn't know about the time certs, pretty cool stuff, I'll keep those on the list. Off to the hardware store to find some longer bolts.

Also X, if I remove the head, do I have to replace the head gasket, or can I reuse the old one? I'm thinking it would be easier to work on the head, if the longer bolts don't work, if it's off the bike... :p

I would like to try and fix my mistake myself, but if I can't, I'll call on your significantly greater experience.

·
Registered
726 Posts
A new head gasket, will be in order. Also, new pistons, lighter rods, port and polish, full exhaust, etc. ;) That's normal for 40K, right?

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
lol, sounds about right Kurt!

OK, X, you're a genius, spooph hails X! Longer bolts did the trick. We'll see how long they last. In the mean time, I'm in the market, but not in a rush for a new head.... :p

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I got a thing called a torquometer TE12A, TORQOMETER, U.S., Basic, 150 in. lb., 3/8" drive
the one I have is 1/4 inch drive and max reading is 10nm. The cam cap torque speck is 12 nm so I just peg the dial and call it a day .Those threads are fragile.

I would pull the head for most repairs.It comes off and make life very easy,But if the long bolts work then put it together and leave it alone. You should be able to go an easy 15000 miles before you need to fool with it again.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
so how is it different from one of these?

or is it just a significantly more accurate model, maybe for lower torque settings?

Also, update: The ninja runs again. I'll be putting her back together tomorrow evening, but she revs just happy like all the way up to red line.... While I was at it, I also installed Eric's oil cooler, so I'll be posting up pics of that soon.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.