Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 09 has 2800 kms on it. Recently I have to hold the starter button in longer and the bike needs to crank several times before it catches and starts. Until this happened, I just pressed the starter button, one crank and it was on. Could this be a battery problem? If not, what may be wrong with the starter? Any advice may be helpful, so throw out what you think/know please.

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Felix is right on the money. You're problem isn't with the starter, but with the fuel not igniting immediately on the first turn over, so check your air filter and spark plugs first.. It doesn't sound like anything's wrong, it simply sounds like some things are dirty...

Has the climate changed? Warmer/colder days? That could affect your jetting too, and you might just have to twist a little on the idle screw. Let us know how it pans out.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Big climate change, it has been unseasonably hot and humid the last few weeks.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
that's probably also a large factor, in that with the climate change, it affected your jetting, which might have slightly fouled the plugs, and obviously, it's no longer getting the fuel/air it used to to run as nice... It all has depends on how much work you want to do.

If I were you, I'd clean the plugs and ride it till the winter... And not mess with the jetting...

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As luck would have it the hot spell has moved on and we are back to regular nice Summer weather. Whattaya know? Bike starts fine, first try, one crank, boom we're up and running. I never did make any adjustments. I never would have thought temp and weather would have so much effect. Thanks for the advice.

Spooph, riding all year in Co., you must be tweeking the bike a lot, eh?

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
nope, I just learn to live with it... That, and CO weather doesn't really change much..

1.) 5,000 feet, so temp changes don't change the air density THAT much....
2.) It's dry all year round. It might snow in the winter, but it's usually gone by the afternoon.
3.) Running temps during the days, over the course of a year have a TOTAL range of 40-90 degrees, which is a wide range. Usually it's somewhere between 50-70, so when I ride, it's pretty much exactly the same conditions, concerning 1 and 2...
4.) I've tuned the bike to be a tad lean in the summer, which means it's quite lean in the winter.... - I like to play in the mountains, so when I'm at 8,000 feet, it runs great! When I run at 12,000, it's a little rich. When I'm commuting, it's a tad lean, but not enough to damage anything, and in the winter when it's really lean, it's cold enough not to cause any damage either....

I would not recommend this frame of thought to anybody who lives in a humid climate however... A smaller humidity change will affect the bike in a larger way than a larger temperature change... :p

I hope that wasn't too lengthy..

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
Have you shimmed the needles? Usually (not always, conditions could be right) the bike is running too lean without the shims and that can cause tough starting. This may be a good fix if you don't want to change out jets.

felix and spooph - you guys are spot on with the technical info. Glad we have some hardcore gearheads around lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts