Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my bike a couple of days ago..
I love it, but still its my first bike.. first time on a clutch (other than the MSF classes)
but yah, I was a complete clutch virgin.

so here is my problem: I work until 9-11pm almost every night.. it gets very cold at night here. and after work,
I start up my bike with the "choke" enriched, and let it warm up while I get my gear on.
And let it warm up long enough, and have it idle at around 1250 (the # in the manual) for around 5 mintues or so.
but when I shift down to first, and try to manuver the clutch and throttle, I always stall.
I know when I find that sweet spot on the clutch, because its so smooth.. and I will keep practicing and try to
learn more about my bike with the friction zone and all, but I still feel so stupid for stalling my bike on numerous occasions.
Can anybody please help me?
Thanks.

·
Registered
267 Posts
the only thing I can say is to practice a lot in the neighborhood until you can pull away in first without really thinking of it. I wouldn't be riding on the street if you aren't really comfortable yet...just think if you stalled while trying to pull out in front of somebody. if you understand HOW it's supposed to work, then only practice will help. sorry that's probably not really what you wanted to hear.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
haha but you are completely right, and I agree with you.
I will just keep practicing more.
if I understood HOW its supposed to work? You mean like read the manual? or
if I was paying attention in the MSP lol. (I was.. lol)

and thanks for your input

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts
Umm, if the bike is really warmed up then we can discount that as a problem, so its just you then. At what revs are you starting to take off? try getting the revs right up nice and high and slowly work the clutch while keeping the revs at the same level. Slip that clutch as much as you need, and if the revs drop below say 3000 clutch back in.

But yeah, practice makes perfect. Never feel stupid, we have ALL done it! Hell I managed to somehow hit my kill switch while riding the other day, took me a few seconds before I worked out what I'd done, luckily I had some pace and had clutch in so I was just rolling along, and I've done nearly 7000km on this bike.

Oh and empty carparks at night are your friend, just keep going up and down, up and down. Every bike is different, you can get really good on that one, then hop on a different bike and have to spend a few moments relearning the biting point.

Felix

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
267 Posts
haha, no I just meant that since you know that you are supposed to let off the clutch gradually as you apply the throttle gradually. you took the msf course so you already understand the concept of riding...now you just need some practice to master it. don't worry, you'll get it in time. I'm sure you'll be screaming that ninja all around seattle before you know it. btw congrats on the new bike

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thank you dknoll :)alrite, I'll keep practicing. and around my neighborhood is hilly.. when i started driving a car,
I just went over to the Microsoft area and rode around in their parking lot and streets lol.
i think its time to head back again. haha
and Felix, thank you for your advice. I think that will help me alot. and i'll remember that from now on!

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Sounds like you are doing great. Just need practice.
The clutch cable will stretch out a bit after some rides. It tells you how to adjust it in the owner's manual. Right now everthing is real new. Slip the clutch a bit till you get used to it but not too much. Also you look like your hands are smaller. Might think about getting a clutch lever that is adjustable. Call Ben at Monroe and he will tell you what lever set he used for Starla's bike. That is me,
It was a stock adjustable perch and lever I think off of a 500. Not sure but I really like it. It is a bit cobby to look at but I painted the lever black and it is fine. I attached a pict.
I am looking into Pazzo and they should come out here soon hopefully by spring , but expensive. I need to sell a few house listings first. If you know anyone looking to buy here in Seattle let me know.:) I rock as a Realtor. And need more toys for my bike ,oh and pay the bills,,,, boring...and buy new skate wheels etc... ::)

Attachments

G

·
I still stall on takeoff every once in a while when I'm not expecting it cause I'm concentrating on so much other stuff. Even caught it on video, but you can't hear me say "F**K" then I laugh it off. Sometimes I stall on an incline cause I didn't give it enough gas. But even when you're in traffic the best thing is not to panic, just deal with the situation and move on.

When it's cold, I always warm up for 10 minutes, I've stalled pulling out into traffic at night and stopped in the middle turn lane in heavy traffic. Another thing that will happen sometimes is that it'll slip into neutral while shifting or you'll miss a gear change. There's always room for improvement, so practice, I still do with every ride.

·
Registered
21 Posts
How cold does it get? Remember your bike is carbureted. It works partially off vacuum. When a motor is cold it will stutter. Is the bike bogging on you? This is extremely common of smaller cc bikes. Most bikes are designed to run lean to around 6k rpms for EPA reasons.

Give yourself a chance, it will smooth out and so will you.
Joe

·
Registered
143 Posts
When you're learning to ride your bike, you're learning to pass your test. The real learning only starts when you've got your licence and you're on the road for yourself! I've done it loads of times, nothing to be ashamed of.

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
Is this bike completely stock? Shimming the needles will make a HUGE difference in the amount of power the bike has right off idle; making it much easier to 'bog' is down (on accident of course) without stalling it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
How cold is it? Bc mine will stall unless i let it warm up for like 20 min or more. If i dont have the time to wait i simply ride it about half a mile with the choke on, and then take it off. Usually seems to only need that below 30 degrees F. Seems to run better once the fuel in the tank gets warm.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thank you all for your great tips.
ive been riding around and practicing for at least 2-3 hrs aday lol..
its just too much fun to stop.
and since all your advice, havent stalled once.
my rides are starting to feel smoother also.
but i will continue to keep practicing :) thanks again!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Confidence is usually any riders biggest villian. Regardless of the amount of years that I have been riding, every spring I start out a little timid.
Just like you, with a little riding I am ready to rip.
Joe

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
This might be a completely stupid suggestion, but it could be a factor... I've read your updates and everything seems to be working out but I was wondering:

If maybe you're putting it in gear before you pick up the kickstand.... I do this a lot, and then I'm like "WTF mate?", which I eliminated my kickstand. Just something else to consider...

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ah.. thank you spooph. I think I understand what you are saying..
and when I think about it, im pretty sure I always put the kick stand up, then shift down.
but I will keep it in mind when I start up from now on.
:)

·
Registered
267 Posts
so miss gawa, it's been a little over a week now...how is everything going as far as riding and experience? no more stalling? feeling more confident?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
haha well..
we spent more time with each other, and I feel much more confident now that we've established our trust in one another. and I have to say.. Im falling in love.
but no, no stalling problems at all. lol yesterday night it started snowing/raining here, but once the engine was warm enough it was a good ride. (^^)
im pretty sure the problem I was having was not using the clutch/throttle together properly. kudos to Felix and all of your advice. lol

i feel worried about leaving my bike in the rain while im working tho.. at home, its under a covered area outside. and I always wipe it down after getting back, but will this lead to a problem for me in the future??

1 - 20 of 24 Posts